Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojjunior
Topic Author

Why all this euphoria with this A350?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Okay, it's a new plane, cutting-edge technology, fuel saver, silent, etc. but what? This is a manufacturer's obligation when creating a new plane, isn't it?
Why do airlines insist in saying that this replaces a 747 for example in the passenger experience? Ask anyone who had the opp to fly an upper deck what they prefer.
How on Earth an updated version of an A330 and a 767 (yes, that's what it is) can be more pleasant to passengers than a 747 or another big boy?
Okay, the market needs news but a modern mid-size plane is not the same as a big plane where people have room to walk around, pass the time, etc.
I do not understand why all this euphoria with the A350 as it was the invention of the wheel or the fire discovery, honestly.

bgm

Re: Why all this euphoria with this A350?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Okay, it's a new plane, cutting-edge technology, fuel saver, silent, etc. but what?

You just answered your own question.

Having taken several flights on the A350, I can confirm that it was a delight to fly on. Nice airy cabin, big windows, quiet, lower pressure altitude, higher humidity. Really great flights. Have had equally good flights on the 787 when not in cramped 3-3-3 economy.

767333ER

Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Why do airlines insist in saying that this replaces a 747 for example in the passenger experience? Ask anyone who had the opp to fly an upper deck what they prefer.

I haven’t flown on the upper deck of a 747, but I’ve been in one on the ground and I can tell you that other than for the novelty of the upper deck I would far rather sit on the main deck. People complain about narrowbody flying overseas, the upper deck on the 747 is understandably the worst narrowbody cross section around.
ojjunior wrote:
How on Earth an updated version of an A330 and a 767 (yes, that's what it is) can be more pleasant to passengers than a 747 or another big boy?

No, that’s not what the A350 is. If the A350 were an updated A330 or 767 it would be an A330 or 767 and it wouldn’t even be a 767 because it’s Airbus. The updated A330 is the A330neo. Structure wise it has little in common with either of those and the only thing it has close to the same as the A330 is the flightdeck systems and flight control system. Please next time do some research on this or just don’t bother saying something like this.
ojjunior wrote:
Okay, the market needs news but a modern mid-size plane is not the same as a big plane where people have room to walk around, pass the time, etc.
I do not understand why all this euphoria with the A350 as it was the invention of the wheel or the fire discovery, honestly.

That’s not the plane’s fault they don’t have “room to pass the time”. That’s just wasted space where airlines put seats to make more money now. If you want to walk that’s what the aisle is for. People like the A350 for many reasons such that it on average holds wider seats than the competition 787 or 777. I do not understand what your whining is about here.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Okay, it's a new plane, cutting-edge technology, fuel saver, silent, etc. but what? This is a manufacturer's obligation when creating a new plane, isn't it?

Saying the A350 is an updated 767 is like saying I’m the Queen of England... so by your logic, I must now be referred to as Her Royal Highness :lol:

XAM2175

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:58 pm

I know there's not all that much exciting about another new twin, and I'm somebody who has gone out of his way to fly 747s and will be doing so again in a couple of weeks, but I will say that in all my 77 flights on aircraft from the Jetstream 41 up to the A380 I have enjoyed none for comfort and general niceness more than the 12 I've taken on 767s.