ual763
Topic Author

"Fanboys" Why do you Love Your Airline?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 am

So to those of you who may be considered "fanboys" to any particular airline, I'd be interested in knowing why they are your favorite. Please keep it civil though. Don't bash all other airlines in your reasoning for loving "your" airline. I love aviation as a whole, and also like most airlines. However, I think it's pretty obvious my favorite has always been United. So I'll start with why United is my favorite:

Growing up in central Illinois, O'hare was always the airport my family and I would fly out of on our annual Florida vacation. My very first flight was on a United 727 from ORD-RSW. We flew American every now and then, and also Delta a few times as well, but United was what we flew on most of the time. My Dad always took me to the Museum of Science and Industry in a Chicago as well. They have a United 727 in the museum, so United has really always been visible and present in my life. United really just reminds me of my childhood and is what I grew up with.

As a history buff, I have always been fascinated by the history of United as well. The fact that Boeing was one of the original founders of United has always intrigued me. Boeing, United, Pratt & Whitney, and other prominent aviation companies, all used to be essentially one at a certain point in time. The relationship between all of them fascinates me. Also, United practically spearheaded the 777 program.

As a pilot, United has always fascinated me with their fleet types and destinations (really important to me, as I also love to travel). They've pretty much operated all of my favorite aircraft (with the exception of the Maddog). As far as destinations, I am part Norwegian. After the Continental merger, they were the only US airline that flew to Norway. This was very important to me. But also, the opportunity to live in Guam and operate mainline 737s into remote atolls fascinates me as well. Being from Illinois and now living near IAD, I also love their hub structure as well (EWR-ORD-DEN-SFO has always been very iconic to me, as these hubs formed the "main line" routes from the earliest days of United)

But, the main reason I love them would still have to be the memories of my childhood.

I'd be very interested in hearing from others about their airline of choice. And @JumboJet, you in particular I'd like to hear from. You seem to love Delta more than anyone else I know, and quite frankly it puts my love for a United to shame. What started it all?

Narfish641

Re: "Fanboys" Why do you Love Your Airline?

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:20 am

I am not particularly a fanboy of airlines, mostly planes. But Southwest was the first time I ever flied with them when we were going to the Rose Bowl Parade since the end of last year and the beginning of this year, I'd say they weren't too bad. I really love their 737-800s, but I really wish I was on their Heart interior. Overall really smooth and relaxing ride.

I really do want to try Delta and American however since I'm thinking about planning a trip to Seattle next year in the summer or later on down the line in the year. I am also hoping to get on a widebody next year, the only issue is that Delta stopped using their widebodies to SEA from ATL. And American and United usually have layover flights from where I live since they bring their Airbus A320 and Boeing 737NGs down here. I am not necessarily willing to get on a narrowbody, but I always wanted to get on the Airbus, I heard they are a bit quieter than the 737NG.
Flew on:
SWA 737 738

Virtual737

Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:24 am

"Fanboy" is often used in a demeaning manner, so although I am (or at least was) a "fan" of a particular airline I would never consider myself a "fanboy".

RWA380

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:21 am

ual763 wrote:
Growing up in central Illinois, O'hare was always the airport my family and I would fly out of on our annual Florida vacation. My very first flight was on a United 727 from ORD-RSW. We flew American every now and then, and also Delta a few times as well, but United was what we flew on most of the time. My Dad always took me to the Museum of Science and Industry in a Chicago as well. They have a United 727 in the museum, so United has really always been visible and present in my life. United really just reminds me of my childhood and is what I grew up with.

As a history buff, I have always been fascinated by the history of United as well. The fact that Boeing was one of the original founders of United has always intrigued me. Boeing, United, Pratt & Whitney, and other prominent aviation companies, all used to be essentially one at a certain point in time. The relationship between all of them fascinates me. Also, United practically spearheaded the 777 program.

As a pilot, United has always fascinated me with their fleet types and destinations (really important to me, as I also love to travel). They've pretty much operated all of my favorite aircraft (with the exception of the Maddog). As far as destinations, I am part Norwegian. After the Continental merger, they were the only US airline that flew to Norway. This was very important to me. But also, the opportunity to live in Guam and operate mainline 737s into remote atolls fascinates me as well. Being from Illinois and now living near IAD, I also love their hub structure as well (EWR-ORD-DEN-SFO has always been very iconic to me, as these hubs formed the "main line" routes from the earliest days of United)

But, the main reason I love them would still have to be the memories of my childhood.

I'd be very interested in hearing from others about their airline of choice. And @JumboJet, you in particular I'd like to hear from. You seem to love Delta more than anyone else I know, and quite frankly it puts my love for a United to shame. What started it all?

Much like you I love my hometown carrier AS. I first flew them when their only lower 48 route was SEA-PDX. it was on a 737-200 or 727-100. I have been flying them my entire career in this industry & I think them being an almost entirely organic growth carrier up until the recent VX acquisition, (it was only SI that they had acquired up until then) their lower 48 flying has become the major part of their network. I get to fly F for reasonable cost & I became 100% AS or affiliate since they began Hawaii service. I am not the biggest fan of QX as of late, but until recently they were doing well IMO.

Next May I get to use my upgrades on the VX A-320 aircraft & get to enjoy that big white leather seat up front, until the cabins are replaced by new interiors.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

tpaewr

Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:31 am

Growing up I was a "fan boy" of the old school liners. I knew way more about White Star than Pan Am. But randomly I got a "college job" At CO and it ate my life.

Continental was a fantastic place to work. Something I took completely for granted prior to the merger. Ironically TW & UA were the two carriers that impressed me most prior. PA was gone when I was still in grade school, so they were never "real" to me.

I went out of my way to fly TW before they disappeared into AA. But it was all but over by then.

I never knew the UA I had imagined in my early years. RTW service on 747 with real F class service. I have heard stories, so I know it happened. But my first UA flight was in F to NRT was the premerge post BK airline CO mergers with. I was horrified. I also felt for the employees that still were trying after so much hardship.

Jeff royally screwed everyone CO & UA alike. Given our network we should on top rather than the perineal laggard. I want to proud of the airline I work for, but honestly in Houston it is still best not to mention you work for United.

In the mean time when my brother at Delta makes fun of what a mess we have been I can remind him their app sucks and he can't even use it for employee travel!

Perhaps I am too old to be a "fanboy" of anything anymore. But it was amazing industry to grow up in. I will confess being intrigued by the fresh young enthusiastic new hires. They are the future. They only know the "new" United. No Tulips, No Continental. Just the excitement of being young and traveling the world. I think they are the best chance of me being a fanboy again.

klm617

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 pm

The last airline I was really a fanboy of is Republic and that's because I loved North Central.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

eicvd

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:38 pm

I wouldn’t call myself a fanboy of any airline, it’s just the constant criticism of Ryanair annoys me especially from non Europeans or anyone who hasn’t flown with them. Yes I know their customer service was not/ is not great but what % of their passengers each year actually have something to complain about? I’ve never had a bad flight with them, never a delay or cancellation, found the service no different to any Aer Lingus flight. Personally think, unless you’re flying First/Business, the service of the cabin crew is a bit overestimated.

As a spotter, how can anyone not love DL for the huge mixed fleet
COYBIB

dtw2hyd

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:53 pm

I am a fanboy of Delta for purely economic reasons. Delta at DTW brings 80k jobs and $$Billions to Metro Detroit economy. Unlike many corporations, Delta didn't leave DTW when Michigan economy was struggling. It is reaping the benefits now. I don't care if they charge more, I am willing to pay more for their loyalty to the metro.

pezzy669

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:34 am

Delta

I am hub captive ATL flyer and until I moved here ~6 years ago I was not hub captive and typically had to connect when I flew (JAX and TPA) and then I was pretty loyal to AA (Pre-US) so I stuck with them for ~1 year after I moved here then burned off all my FF miles after seeing the DL loyalty around these parts.

Starting ~2013 started flying more often for work on top of the 4-6 segments a year I would fly to visit family so since I burned all my miles with AA I took the DL jump and have not looked back. The consistency of good ground and onboard service, reliability and the ability to fly non-stop to so many places out of ATL has made me a DL fanboy. I have probably done 60-70 segments since 2013, my flying significantly increased in 2017 due to work so of those segments 34 have been in 2017 alone. Knock on wood I have experienced exactly ZERO maintenance related delays, yes there have been a half dozen or so weather related delays but that is hardly the fault of DL.

LH658

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 am

CO was my city airlines, UA now for the mileage. Though my favorite in Europe is LH, due to there network. Over all favorite EK, NH, & SQ, due to there pure quality of service.

Varsity1

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:56 am

Previously a TWA guy, then AA. Since the AA merger with US, the lower trash running the house in dallas has left me disillusioned.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

11725Flyer

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:39 pm

When you live in a hub city, you'll most likely be a fanboy of that particular airline. Since I lived in Atlanta for many years, Delta quickly became my favorite.

bfitzflyer

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:30 am

Grew up with my father working for NWA. Used to love the old TPA mini hub and always thought that the Transpacific network was really impressive given the overall small size of NWA. Thinking of the hubs they have operated at times in Osaka, Seoul and of course Narita. Just was an amazing network and the NW network is still prominent in today's DL with MSP, DTW and SEA all very key.

BAINY3

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 am

Like many others, I'm partial to the big airline where I am from. I'm from Minneapolis and grew up as a fan of NWA and this carried over to Delta.

TransWorldOne

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:42 am

People are fanboys for certain airlines for the same reasons they are fanboys of certain cities, countries, and sports teams: because it is personal to them. They are from a city where their favorite airlines hubs. They are employed or are related to someone employed by that company. They grew up flying said airline, etc. When people feel personally connected to something, they often lose the ability to become objective about it. So if someone points out a gentle criticism about their favorite airline/aircraft/city/country/sports team, they take it very personally and see it as a personal affront to themselves.

AirAfreak

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 am

Truly, I am a Continental “fanboy” through and through. I’ve had so many wonderful experiences with my first being introduced to the Continental Airlines Young Travellers Club and opening my OnePass Account at the IAD ticket counter in 1993. I’ve had so many wonderful experiences that I could write pages of notes and happy memories. My first flights with Continental were onboard Continental Express CO3490/3491 IAD-EWR-IAD from the meatball livery to the new globe livery. I would fly as a UM between parents so I was often recognized in the C Concourse at EWR and at the IAD station, the CO Agents would give this teenager complimentary upgrades to First Class whenever I took a mainline flight. The EWR Agents always treated me to visits to the employee shop located below ticketing just above the parking where I could purchase CO branded souvenir items.

Continental Airlines. “Up Where You Belong.” And this tag line became one of my favorites: “One Airline Can Make A Difference.” Also, “We’ll Go To The Ends of The Earth for You” was another favorite.
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

evank516

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:44 pm

I became a Delta fanboy at a young age when I fell in love with the widget. Growing up in the NYC Area, LGA was actually our preferred airport during my years I can remember. We would arrive on the Grand Central Parkway and the first terminal I would see was the Delta Terminal and I would always ask "Why can't we fly Delta?" We were flying US all of the time via CLT to DAB. Needless to say, the widget got me, and Delta became my go to airline for many years, particularly with my many trips that were centered around DAB since DL was the only airline you could count on to get in and out of there. However, jetBlue started to grow on me as a teenager, and as a New Yorker. They're my hometown airline, and I give them my business as well and I've become a fanboy of theirs. Their product is amazing, their staff goes above and beyond, and those planes of theirs are sexy. That said, I split my travel nowadays between DL and B6 depending on where I'm going, who flies nonstop, price, schedule, etc so I guess now I'm a dual fanboy between DL and B6.