Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LongHaul101
Topic Author

Underwhelming New Business Classes

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:36 am

Let me just say that this is my own opinion and I'm just ranting so don't attack me is something doesn't make sense.

Recently I noticed that some of the world's best including Emirates and Singapore Airlines have unveiled some of the most underwhelming business classes in recent months. I would like today that Singapore airlines has a good but not great product whilst Emirates is just bad.

First of all Singapore Airlines has a good business class but it's quite uncomfortable when it comes to sleeping. My main complaint is that in 2017 a year when we got to see unbelievable new products unveiled such as the Qatar airways Qsuite, the Delta One suite and United Polaris, many people expected Singapore Airlines to go down the route of Delta and Qatar airways and jump aboard the suites business class offering so naturally it was quite a shock to find out that Singapore Airlines had gone for evolution and not revolution. The seat has improved space and I like how it can become a double bed but it's still very annoying to see that they have stuck with the hugely unpopular "foot hole" which means sleeping at an uncomfortable angle. It's a shame because they have had four years to design the new seats but the new seats seem more like a four week project and not a four year project. They missed a trick here if they had opted for a suites configuration they could have become the first airline to offer suites in first and business. Still the new suites class is incredible and so is the new regional business class which looks more like a long haul seat than a medium haul one. That being said in opting for evolution we've seen Singapore Airlines close the door on suites for at least a few years and by that point it's going to be playing catch-up for a long time. And in a world where things seem to change every day in the airline industry evolution just doesn't cut it.

However if Singapore Airlines is bad Emirates is a lot worse. The old business class offering on the 777 is awful and the a380 is average. Everybody thought that when they announced it would be configured as a 2-3-2 it would either be the Apex suite or a new staggered product. We couldn't have been further from the truth. The piece of crap product is possibly the worst business class out there. There are probably worse products out there but the fact that it's Emirates which is widely regarded as one of the best airlines in the world would release something as bad as that and then have the nerve to call it "evolution as well as revolution" and "one of the best products out there" means that in my mind it should be even further down the list of worst airline business classes. But Emirates is clever and in order to keep people from realising just how bad their hard products are by covering it up using a very fancy blanket. That very fancy blanket is an amazing first class. The new Emirates first class is one of very few products that can actually be called a game changer. But I still can't forgive Emirates cfor the language they used to describe the awfulness that is the new Emirates business class.

Put simply business class is moving forward and some airlines are prioritising innovation whereas others are just trying to save a bit of money. It's also very annoying to see certain carriers such as British airways who seem to get slaughtered every time business class is mentioned but all Emirates get is praise. I guess with airlines that like to innovate such as Qatar and Etihad it's a shame to see some of their main competitors ignore the constantly evolving market. Still 2-3-2 is awful for a brand new configuration.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Underwhelming New Business Classes

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 am

LongHaul101 wrote:
Put simply business class is moving forward and some airlines are prioritising innovation whereas others are just trying to save a bit of money. It's also very annoying to see certain carriers such as British airways who seem to get slaughtered every time business class is mentioned but all Emirates get is praise. I guess with airlines that like to innovate such as Qatar and Etihad it's a shame to see some of their main competitors ignore the constantly evolving market. Still 2-3-2 is awful for a brand new configuration.

Well if BA invested in marketing the way EK & SQ did, they'd probably be mentioned favourably too. That's the power of marketing.

TVNWZ

Re: Underwhelming New Business Classes

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 am

How did you formulate your “rant?” How many trips in J did you take on each?