Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bjrob04
Topic Author

Re: Maps of Airports

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:35 am

Take two:

I am currently mapping all of the airports* in every state of the U.S. I have finished the map for my home state of Michigan. I would appreciate any suggestions on which one to do next. It doesn't have to be a U.S. state. It can be any region from any country!

Michigan: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EwvA7 ... sp=sharing

* I am not counting grass or dirt airstrips as airports. It must have an asphalt runway!

KiloRomeoDelta

Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:03 am

Bjrob04 wrote:
Take two:

I am currently mapping all of the airports* in every state of the U.S. I have finished the map for my home state of Michigan. I would appreciate any suggestions on which one to do next. It doesn't have to be a U.S. state. It can be any region from any country!

Any reason why you are doing this, apart from just for fun or because you have a ton of free time? Because FlightRadar24.com already has every airport in every state of the US already marked. You don't need to reinvent the wheel unless you're trying to accomplish something different than what is already existing.

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 am

Bjrob04 wrote:

I'm curious too; what is your angle.
Something that interests me is whether these airports are mapped in high resolution (low flying aircraft photography) or low resolution (satellite mapping).
For example MQT/ Sawyer AFB switched over between 2011 and 2012 and is now pin sharp.

On the subject of MQT/Sawyer AFB - there are only 3-4 aircraft visible on the whole 'field. Apart from the GA types, there is something curious tucked away in a hangar by 5th Street. It's tail is sticking out, along with a strange appendage on one side, but no engines and yet it is a T-tail. I don't recognise it. Anybody got any ideas?

If you cannot find MQT on Bjrob's app, punch these co-ords into any mapper; 46.3435, -87.387
I'm betting most apps use the same source data, plus I'm guessing this a/c stays in the same place most of the ime.
(yes, it's not strictly "civil aviation", but the mystery bird is airliner size, and most likely based on a civil aviation type)

mmo

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:06 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
there is something curious tucked away in a hangar by 5th Street. It's tail is sticking out, along with a strange appendage on one side, but no engines and yet it is a T-tail. I don't recognise it. Anybody got any ideas?

It appears to be a 727 with the #3 engine removed.

greenair727

Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:31 pm

maybe have 3 categories of commercial. I think of DTW on a differently scale than GRR, Flint, and Lansing.

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm

mmo wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
there is something curious tucked away in a hangar by 5th Street. It's tail is sticking out, along with a strange appendage on one side, but no engines and yet it is a T-tail. I don't recognise it. Anybody got any ideas?

I'm grateful that you made the effort to look at the image, but it isn't a 727. For a start all three engines are missing, or removed for servicing. Or both engines if it turns out to be a twin. The fuselage maintains a wide profile until almost under the tailplane (the 727 tapers quite early on), and the tail features a forward facing probe at it's top, much in the style of the TU-154, Il-62, and VC-10. Unless that is merely a military add-on and not part of the original design. Quite honestly I'm not even sure if it is a tail-engine design, although the T-tail does point to that.
In the absence of too many points of reference, the tailplane appears similar in overall size to the tailplane on the B-52 on display, so it isn't a G.IV (or C-20/C-37). It's proper heavy metal!

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 pm

mmo wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Kerching - I just got it; Ilyushin Il-76.
And after finally identifying it, I get confirmation with this story; it was stuck there for five years...... I wonder if it is still there now? :rotfl:
https://abc10up.com/2015/02/02/grounded ... -6-months/

Edit; to add to that, I just found a for sale add from 12 mths ago; $250K or best offer
http://maxvehicles.com/detail/IL-78-IL- ... 89827.html

Bjrob04
Topic Author

Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:20 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
Bjrob04 wrote:
Take two:

Any reason why you are doing this, apart from just for fun or because you have a ton of free time? Because FlightRadar24.com already has every airport in every state of the US already marked. You don't need to reinvent the wheel unless you're trying to accomplish something different than what is already existing.

I am just doing it for fun. I am bored.

BENAir01

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Delaware and RI
Those two combined will take you maybe 10 minutes and then do NY.

e38

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:49 am

Bjrob04, I find this to be a very strange post. First you say you are mapping every airport in every state of the United States; then you want a suggestion on which one to do next but it doesn’t have to be a U. S. state; it can be any region from any country. It doesn’t make sense.
And why do you turn to a forum on Airliners.net for a suggestion? Are you not capable of deciding on your own which state (or region of the world) you want to map next?

e38

Cunard

Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:45 am

e38 wrote:
Bjrob04, I find this to be a very strange post. First you say you are mapping every airport in every state of the United States; then you want a suggestion on which one to do next but it doesn’t have to be a U. S. state; it can be any region from any country. It doesn’t make sense.
And why do you turn to a forum on Airliners.net for a suggestion? Are you not capable of deciding on your own which state (or region of the world) you want to map next?

e38

What a pure honest reply I congratulate you:-)

Now can you reply in the same way to other posters on A.net that start pointless and more to the point ridiculous threads, it may be a difficult job but you seem to have a great way of saying it, once again I applaud you we need more like you on here :-)