Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

New “Everyday Awards” for United MileagePlus

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:48 pm

I just got an email from United announcing changes in award mile redemption for award travel. The link took me to a chart on the “hub” sub site of UA.

Now, I am drawing a blank on what Standard Awards were (Standard is now replaced by “Everyday”) on certain routes, but it seems like the award flights I usually get have gone down? Example: a business class award from EWR to GIG seems less than it was. That being said, the United email does say that some have gone down and some have gone up...all in an effort to right size the award travel as not all destinations are the same. These new redemption rates vary given the destination. (Saver seats remain the same I believe- which is great as if you snag a Saver seat they are true bargains!)

Does anyone here know more about these changes?

United MileagePlus has historically been among the most generous of loyalty programs, I’ve wondered if Polaris and other pricy improvements would wind up with MileagePlus becoming less generous.

dmstorm22

Re: New “Everyday Awards” for United MileagePlus

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 pm

VC10er wrote:
I just got an email from United announcing changes in award mile redemption for award travel. The link took me to a chart on the “hub” sub site of UA.

Now, I am drawing a blank on what Standard Awards were (Standard is now replaced by “Everyday”) on certain routes, but it seems like the award flights I usually get have gone down? Example: a business class award from EWR to GIG seems less than it was. That being said, the United email does say that some have gone down and some have gone up...all in an effort to right size the award travel as not all destinations are the same. These new redemption rates vary given the destination. (Saver seats remain the same I believe- which is great as if you snag a Saver seat they are true bargains!)

Does anyone here know more about these changes?

United MileagePlus has historically been among the most generous of loyalty programs, I’ve wondered if Polaris and other pricy improvements would wind up with MileagePlus becoming less generous.

I remember getting a mail about this in June. Following links led me to this 'new' redemption chart: http://mileageplusupdates.com/images/Un ... -Chart.pdf

I too can't really tell any large trend on whether this is better or worse. Europe stood out, with it now being 70k for econ 1-way. I feel like this is higher than what the old standard was?

They mentioned that saver awards also may change for certain destinations, but again nothing jumps out. Maybe it gets more specific than the chart, where some destinations within markets are different than others?

Overall, not sure what impact this will have. More upset that they've closed a lot of the stopover loopholes that made redeeming UA/*A award flights a real joy.

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:34 pm

I cannot speak to the J class awards, but the "Everyday" Y class redemption rates have all gone up, as per the above linked chart. Formerly, standard awards US to Mexico were 35k miles, now 40k. US to deep South America was 60k, now 70k, and US to Europe was 60k, now 70k. Also up by 10k miles to Japan and East Asia. I suspected there would be inflation, as there have not been redemption changes in the last 3 years. This is why I never "bank" too many miles. They just decrease in value long term.

VC10er
Topic Author

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 am

I think J might have gone down. It was 180,000 one way STANDARD award to Rio from NYC. I must be reading this wrong, Europe looks the same as Deep South America. But with Polaris coming I would have figured it would go up. Once upon a time UA was so remarkably generous (pre-merger) it was almost shocking and ways to earn miles was very easy. A paid J ticket had giant bonuses as did status.