Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Two PAX, one seat

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I had an easyjet flight today. I was already in my seat when a girl comes and says “this is my seat”.

So we checked the boarding passes (both of us had them as Passes in the iPhone Wallet) and we had the same seat.

She told a FA and he did not seem surprised. He just reallocated her to another seat and that it is it.

So how often does this happen and why?

fbgdavidson

Re: Two PAX, one seat

Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 pm

It's not uncommon, not sure how it happens but I've seen it quite a few times.

The weirdest one I had that I was involved with was about 10 years ago flying BA out of CPT. Leaving CPT you initially clear exit border control and then security before you enter the departures area. I was already seated and one of the cabin crew approaches me with a boarding pass in hand, asking to see mine. I glance and see that some other person has an exact duplicate of my boarding pass including name, my FF number/status, and obviously seat number. Somehow he had gone through two checks of his ID with his boarding pass with nobody noticing and the gate had allowed the same seat number to board the plane twice! Luckily there was another seat in the same cabin for him.

I've been in situations where someone has been in my seat, or they think I'm in theirs several times but it has always been one of the following:
-They were looking at the boarding pass for a previous or connecting flight
-They assumed that the first row was row 1 when it could be 3 or 4 depending upon the aircraft configuration.
-They didn't know the difference between the A/B/C and the D/E/F side
-They thought it was open seating
-They decided they wanted to sit in my seat anyways.

Yflyer

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:35 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
-They didn't know the difference between the A/B/C and the D/E/F side

I made that mistake myself once. I had aisle seats on both legs of the trip except on the first leg I was in the C seat and on the second I was in the D seat. Except when I boarded the second leg I had a brain fart moment and was just thinking "row XX, aisle seat" and sat down on the same side I was sitting on on the previous flight, even though I was looking at a boarding pass that clearly said seat XXD.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:27 am

anstar wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
I had an easyjet flight today. I was already in my seat when a girl comes and says “this is my seat”.

So we checked the boarding passes (both of us had them as Passes in the iPhone Wallet) and we had the same seat.

She told a FA and he did not seem surprised. He just reallocated her to another seat and that it is it.

Its possible that one of the seats was changed by staff but the app in the wallet hadn't refreshed. Seen it a few times... the crew can check the manifest and work out what the new seat is.

Thanks. Yes I thought maybe it had something to do with the app and some “miscoordination” there

anstar

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:28 am

SCQ83 wrote:

Its possible that one of the seats was changed by staff but the app in the wallet hadn't refreshed. Seen it a few times... the crew can check the manifest and work out what the new seat is.

trijetsonly

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 am

It used to happen quite often for me, usually due to last minute aircraft changes - either to aircraft with a different cabin layout or a completely different aircraft, eg. A321 to A319. In that case it also happened to me, that I've boarded the plane and the row on my boarding pass didn't even exist.

But a couple of years ago it started, that there was a small printer installed at the boarding gate and as soon as the boarding pass has been scanned, a little note with a seat reallocation has been printed automaticly and the gate only opened, when I remove that note from the printer.
Since that it never happened to me again, that there was a double allocation in the plane.

TWA772LR

Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 am

Sounds like a prime example for a future "we met in the strangest conundrum so we got married" story. Like that couple that met because they had the exact kind of Jeep and were parked side by side so they got mixed up at each others car, then got married.

11725Flyer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:30 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

It's happened to me a few times. Nowadays, if the plane is full, it then becomes a problem of how to get someone to take a later flight. We've seen how that sometimes can be a problem.