PHX
CLT
MSP

Slowest:

MCO
SFO
JFK

http://milecards.com/1588438843/2017-cu ... ime-study/

I don't know how many widebodies arrive simultaneously at SFO and JFK, but at those airports, there's usually only one 747 or A380 arriving during the peak arrival time, and everything else is an A330 or 777, and split amongst two or more terminals. MCO gets 5 747's, not including 767's, 777's, 787's, and A330's, all at the same time, and in the same terminal. Living in Orlando, every time I land at MCO, I arrive during the peak arrival time, whether I'm flying BA, VS, DY, etc. The only exception to the afternoon widebody peak arrival time is EK, which arrives in the morning when CBP is deserted, which is great as you fly right through and there is no wait.
Last edited by FoxtrotSierra on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masgniw

Re: MCO has longest customs lines, PHX has the shortest

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Citation? Or speculation?

fbgdavidson

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Customs or immigration?

They are two very different processes that far too many people have no grasp of. Most people lump "customs" as everything when in fact it's just the declarations of good being brought into the country.

Immigration is the bottleneck so customs is usually very quick. In the last 10yrs I think I've had to wait for customs once (mid afternoon at IAD with all the European arrivals) in dozens of entries into the US.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

jetskipper

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Not sure if that’s accurate, you arrive in Spokane, Fargo, South Bend or Bangor in a Citation and I guarantee you’ll be first in line...

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 pm

masgniw wrote:

Updated, forgot to link it first time.

masgniw

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Updated, forgot to link it first time.

Thanks.

From eyeballing the list, I wonder if it has to do with whether people arriving are visiting or coming home. Obviously, US passport holders will go through the process much faster. I don't necessarily foresee a lot of foreign visitors coming to CLT, PHX, or MSP. On the other hand, MCO, SFO, and JFK are likely to have a lot of foreign nationals coming to visit.

masgniw

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm

[delete]
Last edited by masgniw on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masgniw

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Not sure if that’s accurate, you arrive in Spokane, Fargo, South Bend or Bangor in a Citation and I guarantee you’ll be first in line...

Do any of those airports have CBP facilities? You might be first in line but may wait years before they staff an immigration officer there.

Also from the article:

...we looked at the average wait at airports that processed over 500,000 international passengers between October 2016 and September 2017

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:14 pm

Does anyone know if terminals A and G at SFO share a common CBP facility? I believe terminals 1, 4, 5, 7, and 8 have their own individual CBP at JFK, and MCO has 2 separate CBP facilities at Airside 1 (most South American carriers), and at Airside 4 (Delta Int'l flights, Emirates, and European carriers).

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm

masgniw wrote:
Also from the article:

...we looked at the average wait at airports that processed over 500,000 international passengers between October 2016 and September 2017

I must say, I'm surprised that ATL, ORD, DFW, or LAX aren't on this list.

FoxtrotSierra
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:21 pm

I don't think this belongs in the polls and preferences forum, mods can this be moved to civil aviation?

masgniw

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
masgniw wrote:
Also from the article:

I must say, I'm surprised that ATL, ORD, DFW, or LAX aren't on this list.

I've done immigration & customs at both ORD and LAX. My wait time was 0 min at ORD and 10 min at LAX. Anecdotal, but my friends and family have had similar experiences there.

VS4ever

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:18 pm

if you want the facts for the major airports, some of the smaller ones like PVD or BDL aren't listed.
you can check right here.
awt.cbp.gov.

CBP publishes daily with a 3 day or so lag time each airport can be broken down by each section that has a CBP point. so for MCO for example, you can pull combined or Airside 1 or Airside 4. SFO you can pull A or G. It will not pull pre-cleared folks so EI's numbers from DUB won't be included for example, but does give you an idea of how things are. Splits by average wait times (0-15,16-30,31-45,46-60,61-90,90-120,121+) and the average wait times for US Citizens and Non-US Citizens along with the max time for all of them.

The pre-clearance info is a separate section, pulled by departure airport, but you can't tell where they are going, so it's only a combined number.

Something to ponder, I pull the numbers for BOS and the analysis throws up some trends should anyone be interested.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!

KLMatSJC

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:58 am

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
I don't know how many widebodies arrive simultaneously at SFO and JFK, but at those airports, there's usually only one 747 or A380 arriving during the peak arrival time, and everything else is an A330 or 777, and split amongst two or more terminals.

SFO gets an insane amount of flights during "rush hour". Plus, there is more than one rush hour, which doesn't help things. SFO can easily get 10 international flights within two hours on A and G separately. People are reporting waits of almost 3 hours in immigration lines at SFO. On my last international flight, I was behind a single 777 (Air France I think). It still took around and hour and a half to get through the immigration line, even though most of that 777 was done. Behind us were three more 777s, so I guess we got lucky.

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
Does anyone know if terminals A and G at SFO share a common CBP facility?

They are under the same roof, but they are separate. They are working on consolidating it in the near future.
A318/19/20/21 A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip and the Cactus

AirAfreak

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:02 am

I find the arrival process can vary depending on the time of the day and terminal location, so this airport ranking list cannot be 100% accurate.

For example, it was noted above with SFO ranking among the slowest, however, SFO was one of my "better" arrival processing experiences.

Los Angeles, being my home airport, have mostly been poor (re: time spent during the arrival process) with the exception of a recent AF PPT-LAX flight which felt like a dream come true!

Some personal experiences noted below:

- AF CDG-LAX poor.
- KE ICN-LAX poor.
- AF PPT-LAX excellent.
- LH FRA-IAD poor.
- KL AMS-IAD poor.
- DL ICN-DTW excellent.
- AF CDG-ATL poor.
- AF CDG-JFK average.
- AF CDG-EWR above average.
- DL NRT-SFO excellent.
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

readytotaxi

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:38 pm

FoxtrotSierra wrote:
Fastest:

PHX
CLT
MSP

Slowest:

MCO
SFO
JFK

http://milecards.com/1588438843/2017-cu ... ime-study/

I don't know how many widebodies arrive simultaneously at SFO and JFK, but at those airports, there's usually only one 747 or A380 arriving during the peak arrival time, and everything else is an A330 or 777, and split amongst two or more terminals. MCO gets 5 747's, not including 767's, 777's, 787's, and A330's, all at the same time, and in the same terminal. Living in Orlando, every time I land at MCO, I arrive during the peak arrival time, whether I'm flying BA, VS, DY, etc. The only exception to the afternoon widebody peak arrival time is EK, which arrives in the morning when CBP is deserted, which is great as you fly right through and there is no wait.

As you say so many aircraft arriving and more or less the same time does no one any favours. So bad over the last 12 months I now have switched to Tampa on BA, with no other Int arrivals at that time you sail through and then drive back on I4.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

NichCage

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I've never had to use customs at MCO (because of pre-clearance at YYZ) but the airport was very busy when I arrived and departed. Quite a few international arrivals I saw.

SFO no doubt seems busy. The international terminal is handling more and more flights which is making it congested. And the new international gates in T1 I believe won't be open for an long time.

LAX is just a big mess it seems, especially when it comes to TBIT. So many international arrivals (and A380's) make customs busy pretty quick.

alggag

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:43 am

I flew into DFW yesterday on AA49 from CDG and the lines to exit customs were very long. For general passengers the line wrapped around the baggage claim hall and even the line for GE was about 50 people long when I got into it. Every few minutes somebody would walk by the line with that "Get out of my way commoners, I'm GE!" attitude which quickly faded once they realized that that was the line for GE members. Back in the immigration hall the express exit for GE members without checked luggage to claim was also moving very slowly with several people obnoxiously complaining about it.

I think that's the only time I recall seeing a backup at any US airport and that includes flying through some of the ones that have a reputation for problems.