Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Luisvalero
Topic Author

BA next routes?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm wondering if BA is considering to launch/resume any of the following routes from its LHR hub

-CLT. (American territory but there's market)
-DTW. (Delta territory, but there's market)
-MSP. (Delta territory, but there's market)
-HAV
-PTY
-BOG. (AV proved that there's big demand in London-Bogota market)
-CMN. (Never understood why BA isn't here)
-DAR. (Big hole in BA's Africa network)
-EBB
-GYD. (As a resumption, route cancelled a couple of years ago)
-ISB. (Due to new airport)
-AMD. (Tons of Gujratis living in UK)
-CCU
-DAC. (Biman isn't good at all, very old planes and not even daily frequency)
-HAN/SGN. (Emerging Market)
-MNL (low yield, but lot of Filipinos in UK + recent business traffic)
-KIX. (Logic addition, Japan is a powerful market and Japanese travel a lot)
-MEL (maybe because of Qantas shift to Perth)
-AKL. (Market is there, maybe LHR-HKG-AKL, or LHR-SIN-AKL)

Themotionman

Re: BA next routes?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:06 pm

CLT- Only if an uptick in capacity was necessary.
DTW- Probably the most likely of the lot
MSP- Can the route sustain 2 airlines.
HAV- Probably from LGW
PTY- Perhaps...
BOG- Rapid growth. Maybe in a couple of years.
CMN- Markey served sufficiently by AT
DAR- From LGW?
EBB- BA only left 2 years ago.
GYD- Passenger nos down 30% 2015-16
ISB- A given
AMD- Small market already served by AI
CCU- Maybe
DAC- Too much competition from ME3
HAN/SGN- Give it a few years
MNL- 27% growth last year. Give it a couple more years
KIX- JAL?
MEL- Would have to be via SIN/HKG
AKL- So much one-stop competition.

Going along with the recent BA LHR trend of opening new US routes I wouldn't be surprised to see MCI, CMH.

Andy33

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Well, they've announced the new/restarted routes for summer 2018 and these are on sale. These destinations aren't included.
You've a very long list there, allowing for some routes taking much longer than 24 hours for a round trip, they'd need at least 24 more long haul planes than they have today.
But they went public on the fleet plan for the period up to 2022 only last week. The actual net increase in long haul fleet numbers over the whole 5 years is just 10 planes, and that includes the 788s and 789s due in 2018 that permit the already announced extra services. Then there's LHR slots, there's still some scope for converting slots currently used for shorthaul to longhaul turnround timings but this process isn't open ended, and the shorthaul routes are necessary for feeding the longhaul services.

There are some choices I'd question. Qantas aren't shifting from MEL to PER, they're replacing a MEL-DXB-LHR route with a MEL-PER-LHR one.
As BA and AA are in a transatlantic joint venture, it really doesn't matter to the management of either airline which company operates LHR-CLT as they share the revenue anyway,

Themotionman

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:08 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Well, they've announced the new/restarted routes for summer 2018 and these are on sale. These destinations aren't included.
You've a very long list there, allowing for some routes taking much longer than 24 hours for a round trip, they'd need at least 24 more long haul planes than they have today.
But they went public on the fleet plan for the period up to 2022 only last week. The actual net increase in long haul fleet numbers over the whole 5 years is just 10 planes, and that includes the 788s and 789s due in 2018 that permit the already announced extra services. Then there's LHR slots, there's still some scope for converting slots currently used for shorthaul to longhaul turnround timings but this process isn't open ended, and the shorthaul routes are necessary for feeding the longhaul services.

Some of the 788s and 789s will replace 772s which will move to LGW, meaning very little available equipment for new routes.

sw733

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Themotionman wrote:
CLT- Only if an uptick in capacity was necessary.
DTW- Probably the most likely of the lot
MSP- Can the route sustain 2 airlines.
HAV- Probably from LGW
PTY- Perhaps...
BOG- Rapid growth. Maybe in a couple of years.
CMN- Markey served sufficiently by AT
DAR- From LGW?
EBB- BA only left 2 years ago.
GYD- Passenger nos down 30% 2015-16
ISB- A given
AMD- Small market already served by AI
CCU- Maybe
DAC- Too much competition from ME3
HAN/SGN- Give it a few years
MNL- 27% growth last year. Give it a couple more years
KIX- JAL?
MEL- Would have to be via SIN/HKG
AKL- So much one-stop competition.

Going along with the recent BA LHR trend of opening new US routes I wouldn't be surprised to see MCI, CMH.

CMN - I do have to say I'm a bit surprised not to see BA doing it at least from LGW. They do RAK, so I'm surprised to not see CMN.

As a OneWorld Emerald based in MCI, I'll cast my deepest of wishes aside and say I would be very surprised by MCI.

OSL777FLYER

Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:59 pm

DTW: BA flew there in the past
MSP: With DL/KL so strong plus Icelandair, Condor, and AF doing seasonal routes, I see little point for BA to fly there. Not a whole lot of feeder flights for them.

Cunard

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:02 pm

LHR to DAR and EBB were both discontinued at the same time as DAR was an extension to the EBB flight both destinations I can see being brought back in due course.

ISB I agree in due course especially with the new airport opening soon.

CCU a huge market not served by BA for nearly 20 years and although the ME3 have a strong presence I could see BA eventually restarting LHR to CCU.

HAV a strong candidate for LGW.

PTY a possible maybe.

Other than that I can't see any of the others maybe CMM if RAM joined ONEWORLD.

BoeingGuy

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm

OSL777FLYER wrote:
MSP: With DL/KL so strong plus Icelandair, Condor, and AF doing seasonal routes, I see little point for BA to fly there. Not a whole lot of feeder flights for them.

BA did CLT in the past too. Surprised PDX wasn’t on the list.

LHRFlyer

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:32 pm

With regard to Africa a big factor will be whether BA can secure the A321LR.

Willie Walsh also suggested that the A321LR could see BA returning transatlantic routes to the regions.

gunnerman

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 pm

HAV
The Cuba market is dominated by tour operators and charter airlines. HAV was axed by BA in March 2002 and the only scheduled carrier is VS from LGW twice-weekly. The demand still isn't there for BA.

MNL
BA used to fly from LHR via HKG up to December 2001 three times a week. Other European carriers have also axed MNL, including AF (three times a week from CDG) and LH (daily from FRA via BKK). The only European is KL, daily from AMS via TPE. PR returned on the LHR route a while ago four times a week. The demand still isn't there for BA.

MEL/AKL
These are non-starters as it's notoriously hard to make money on the kangaroo route. In order to resume flights, BA will need two crews, one for each sector such as LHR-SIN and SIN-MEL. Other carriers whose hubs are closer in areas such as the Persian Gulf or Asia can get transfer traffic from the west and need only a single flight to MEL or AKL.

Figari–Sud Corse Airport
A new route: LHR-FSC on Sundays from 27 May 2018 to 7 October 2018 using the A319. You heard it first here.

User001

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Figari–Sud Corse Airport
A new route: LHR-FSC on Sundays from 27 May 2018 to 7 October 2018 using the A319. You heard it first here.

Not exactly heard it here first, Been announced 2-3 days now, on the BA site, Twitter and various media outlets reporting about WTM London.

Luisvalero
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
OSL777FLYER wrote:

BA did CLT in the past too. Surprised PDX wasn’t on the list.

I didn't mention PDX because I don't think this route can work

bmacleod

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:23 pm

So far BA serves 4 Canadian cities

YVR
YUL
YYZ
YYC

Could YOW (Ottawa) and/or YEG (Edmonton) be possible in next 5-10 years?

787fan8

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned STL yet. A solid contender for a new US city if you ask me.

bmacleod

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:31 pm

787fan8 wrote:
I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned STL yet. A solid contender for a new US city if you ask me.

I thinking because AA has easy BA connections through ORD and DFW.

Midwestindy

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:55 pm

STL

gunnerman

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 pm

bmacleod wrote:

YVR
YUL
YYZ
YYC

I watched the TV series "Airport: Below Zero" and YEG looked a really good airport, but isn't YEG's problem the fact that nearby YYC is the biggest in Alberta? I think that it's telling that KL is the only continental European carrier to serve YEG, but with only three flights a week from AMS.

Spiderguy252

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:23 pm

ISB - what has a new airport got to do with anything? The current airport can handle widebodies, and if BA isn't flying there now it suggests that there are other reasons - lack of traffic or otherwise that are at play.

DAC - Biman isn't flying old planes on this route, IIRC they are deploying their new 77Ws on a triangular DAC-LHR-ZYL-DAC routing.

Freshside3

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:53 pm

bmacleod wrote:

YVR
YUL
YYZ
YYC

YEG could use some Europe connectivity. AC dropped LHR; KL went to a 787 to AMS, which has less seats.....and no longer any service to the NYC airports or ORD.

Freshside3

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:56 pm

bmacleod wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

STL needs some Europe, but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be LHR/LGW...............having flights to CDG or MUC would be better, anyway. Which means no BA here.

ADrum23

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

STL needs some Europe, but it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be LHR/LGW...............having flights to CDG or MUC would be better, anyway. Which means no BA here.

Agreed. I anticipate STL will see some sort of legacy carrier European service announced next year.

TheLion

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:

Interesting point, although it’d struggle to do much more than West Africa, plus possibly ADD and EBB with a meaningful payload.

LHRFlyer wrote:
Willie Walsh also suggested that the A321LR could see BA returning transatlantic routes to the regions.

That made me prick my ears up! Where did you read that; would you have a source?

ADrum23

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 pm

bmacleod wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

That didn't stop BA from launching AUS and BNA, which have (relatively) easy connections through DFW and CLT respectively.

ADrum23

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:55 pm

If BA wants to expand into the US anymore, the only logical place would be STL. After that, they are pretty well-covered. For those who keep saying DTW, MSP, PDX, etc, you do realize DL has large hubs/operations at those airports and they already have pretty adequate TATL links (not just with LHR). Why would BA go in there and bleed margins?

2travel2know2

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 pm

IMHO,
In USA, BA to SLT does make some sense, but given the traffic BA is looking for - that's LHR connecting traffic - STL shouldn't be from LGW. BA LGW-STL could only possibly work if O/D was quite sizeable.
British love Florida, lets see how BA performs in FLL to check if there's a chance of BA to PBI and/or RSW someday. BA to JAX would also be interesting to see.
BA to MKE, IND, CLE, PIT?
As for Canada, YWG may not be ready for year-around BA LHR but seasonal from LGW perhaps.
Not sure if BA would be interested in AKL as a tag-on some days from a USA west coast airport not having non-stop flights to AKL. LON-LAS-AKL, LON-PHX-AKL, LON-SJC-AKL, LON-SMF-AKL, LON-ONT-AKL or LON-SAN-AKL come to mind.
BA return to PTY seems to be question of when it'd happen. PTY (and CM hub) will be happy even if it's from LGW.
BA to BOG, the route has already AV with LHR-BOG red-eyes. May with different LON-BOG times? If BA gets LATAM Colombia feed, then LGW could also be fine.
Hope that BA makes it to BZE someday, even if from LGW.

Cunard

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
ISB - what has a new airport got to do with anything? The current airport can handle widebodies, and if BA isn't flying there now it suggests that there are other reasons - lack of traffic or otherwise that are at play.

DAC - Biman isn't flying old planes on this route, IIRC they are deploying their new 77Ws on a triangular DAC-LHR-ZYL-DAC routing.

I don't know if your being ignorant to the fact but there are several reasons why British Airways and many other airlines have not returned to Pakistan and I can assure you that it has nothing to do with 'current airport' at Islamabad being able to handle wide bodies.

Spiderguy252

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:59 am

Cunard wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

I don't know if your being ignorant to the fact but there are several reasons why British Airways and many other airlines have not returned to Pakistan and I can assure you that it has nothing to do with 'current airport' at Islamabad being able to handle wide bodies.

Which is exactly my point. How will a new airport change those reasons?

Cunard

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm

A more modern terminal that's well planned with better security and secure areas than the current airport terminal, this may we'll be the deciding factor to whether BA makes a return to Islamabad.

I am sure that you know just as well as many others do regarding the security issues as to airlines flying into Pakistan particularly western airlines if you don't I suggest you start reading this thread from the very beginning rather than hopping into it at the end as I'm sure your be enlightened.

gunnerman

Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Quite apart from the security issues which caused BA to terminate all flights to Pakistan after the Marriott hotel was devastated on 20 September 2008, the ME3 carriers provide significant airlift to the country from their hubs at DOH, AUH and DXB. With flights times a little over three hours, crews do not need to be overnighted in hotels as they can operate the return flights on the same days. So, there isn't a good reason for BA - or any of the other western European carriers - to fly to Pakistan.

Freshside3

Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
bmacleod wrote:
787fan8 wrote:

That didn't stop BA from launching AUS and BNA, which have (relatively) easy connections through DFW and CLT respectively.

It wouldn't surprise me for BA downsize the LHR-AUS trip back to a 787, and supplement it with a MAN-AUS non-daily/seasonal flight.

ADrum23

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me for BA downsize the LHR-AUS trip back to a 787, and supplement it with a MAN-AUS non-daily/seasonal flight.

Is there enough AUS-MAN traffic for seasonal service?

Not sure why AUS-LHR is bigger than a 787-9 anyway.

hoons90

Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

What about LHR-DUR? Although I guess Comair provides good connecting options...

Freshside3

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:33 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Is there enough AUS-MAN traffic for seasonal service?

Not sure why AUS-LHR is bigger than a 787-9 anyway.

The reason for the upsize to the 777 on AUS-LHR has to be connections, and not local London traffic. I strongly suspect that MAN figures in on this. Both MAN and AUS are music and computer industry capitals, so a certain amount of business travel there, to begin with......and I am guessing(based on knowing many people in AUS) that connections to ARN, PRG, JTR, BCN and MLA are also contributing to the high load factors on AUS-LHR.

bmacleod

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 pm

bmacleod wrote:

YVR
YUL
YYZ
YYC

Seems rather funny that of the G7 nations - Canada stands out as only nation with no BA service to its capital city - YOW (Ottawa).

Hopefully this will change in next 5 years.

LH658

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:40 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Quite apart from the security issues which caused BA to terminate all flights to Pakistan after the Marriott hotel was devastated on 20 September 2008, the ME3 carriers provide significant airlift to the country from their hubs at DOH, AUH and DXB. With flights times a little over three hours, crews do not need to be overnighted in hotels as they can operate the return flights on the same days. So, there isn't a good reason for BA - or any of the other western European carriers - to fly to Pakistan.

You guys probably never been to Pakistan, nor Islamabad, and probably don't even know the economy of Pakistan.

gunnerman

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 pm

And your point is?

LH658

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 am

That you can't just judge, without knowing the actual reality.

Cunard

Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:33 am

LH658

You may be a young man of Pakistan heritage and I admire that both but give it a break you as well as others know exactly why the likes of BA are not flying to Pakistan right now for numerous reasons as stated in the posts on this thread.

I'm aware of how proud you are being a Pakistani but get a reality check. And before you condemn for me I have been to Pakistan myself albeit it Karachi and for your information the company I work for don't deal with Pakistan anymore on a local basis due to the many reasons stated in this thread.

But in saying that I hope that BA do return to the beautiful country of Pakistan and the friendly Pakistani people.

TurnaroudUK

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:52 pm

LHRFlyer wrote:

If thats the case then I welcome 10+ A321LR to MAN, not sure where we would park them due to MAN TP but we can deal with that in the future

Buffalomatt1027

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am

BA can come to Buffalo .... cheaper way to get to Toronto and quick flights to make major cities.

But highly highly highly doubtful! Wishful thinking ... i know!

bmacleod

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm

bmacleod wrote:
bmacleod wrote:

YVR
YUL
YYZ
YYC

Seems rather funny that of the G7 nations - Canada stands out as only nation with no BA service to its capital city - YOW (Ottawa).

Hopefully this will change in next 5 years.

One possibility might be using 6th freedom YOW-YUL-LHR. :stirthepot: