AirAfreak
Topic Author

Comfort + / Premium Economy U.S.?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

As DL and AA have launched a true Premium Economy/Comfort + Product, where/when will we see (and which city pairs can we book) scheduled Domestic U.S. flights with "W" class on offer?
Economy Class. You vision of loveliness; Prince Charles called and he wants you to fill in for him next week.

mikegigs

Re: Comfort + / Premium Economy U.S.?

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:58 pm

As far as I know, in the near future DL's W product will not be seen on domestic hops unless an A350 is subbed in. With so few aircraft currently running the international routes, I doubt they will be redeployed anywhere else anytime soon. That being said, if an aircraft was to be subbed in, i'm guessing that W would be used for upgrades of E+ and high status passengers.

Don't know anything about AA's plans though.
Airports: BOS, JAX, JFK, EWR, LGA, CVG, ATL, CLT, DCA, IAD, STT, PVD, ALB, MCO
Aircraft: 733, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 717, A319, A320, MD-88, E190, E175, E145, CRJ-200, CRJ-700, Q400
Airlines: B6, CO, DL, US, NW, WN, DH
...a good start but a looong way to go!

ei a330-200

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:46 pm

I flew an AA B789 LAX-DFW in August in their Premium Economy. Quite comfortable. It was sold domestically as Main Cabin Extra, but slightly more expensive than normal MCE seats to upgrade (I think $60 vs $30).

Quite the impressive and comfortable product.

superjeff

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:04 pm

AA is also using 772's on some HNL flights; they are being reconfigured to add W, and it will be available on flights to HNL/OGG which use that equipment. Will apparently have full meal and beverage service, in a major difference from regular Y.

toltommy

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:11 pm

mikegigs wrote:
As far as I know, in the near future DL's W product will not be seen on domestic hops unless an A350 is subbed in. With so few aircraft currently running the international routes, I doubt they will be redeployed anywhere else anytime soon. That being said, if an aircraft was to be subbed in, i'm guessing that W would be used for upgrades of E+ and high status passengers.

Delta is selling a W fare domestically now. For example, I just pulled up DTW-FLL and DTW-MDT fares on Delta.com. Delta offered me 4 fares on each, the letter codes are taken from the website:

Basic Economy (E)
Economy (V)
Comfort + (W)
First (G, A, P)
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

ahj2000

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:41 pm

toltommy wrote:
mikegigs wrote:

Delta is selling a W fare domestically now. For example, I just pulled up DTW-FLL and DTW-MDT fares on Delta.com. Delta offered me 4 fares on each, the letter codes are taken from the website:

Basic Economy (E)
Economy (V)
Comfort + (W)
First (G, A, P)

They now code their Comfort+ service as premium economy (W) domestically. This is still the same class of service as the buy-up option on American on United.
-Andrés Juánez

aemoreira1981

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Does DL have any plans to retrofit the A330s or B767-400ERs with a W product, perhaps to better compete on routes like JFK or ATL to LAX or JFK to SFO? Each generally uses internationally-configured long-haul aircraft, be it a 757 with Delta One, a Boeing 767-300ER/400ER, or an Airbus A330-300. (I haven't seen a transcon A330-200 trip.)

tjh8402

Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 am

DLs domestic W does come with slightly more perks even though it's technically an E+ seat. I think the complimentary snacks are nicer and it includes free alcohol. Not sure that you'll see a true W seat though. International W is basically a domestic F seat, so unless they went 3-2 on the Airbus and Boeing narrowbodies, not much else they can do to the seat. That's probably gonna be a pricey seat too since it's not really like any other so it'll be a bespoke design for a relatively small cabin. It would also take away from F sales which the US3 are aggressively trying to sell. Domestic F upgrades are becoming surprisingly affordable in some cases. I've had it for less than $200 OW, even on a transcon. The biggest upgrades I could see them making are the ability to buy an F meal, get F premier check in, boarding, and baggage service, or just add a checked bag. I said when I flew DL W that I would rather have either the bag or the ability to buy the meal than the booze.

michman

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 am

ahj2000 wrote:

They now code their Comfort+ service as premium economy (W) domestically. This is still the same class of service as the buy-up option on American on United.

Lots of confusion here. Delta sells C+ as a separate fare class (W) both domestically and internationally. However, DL does NOT consider C+ to be a premium economy product. Their premium economy product is called "Premium Select" and uses completely different fare classes - P/A/G. They also now use these fare classes on partner metal premium economy seats (AF/AZ/VS). This product is only offered on international routes (on domestic routes, the P/A/G fare classes are used for discount F tickets). The various third party search engines will list DL C+ fares as "premium economy", but that's because they haven't added a category for C+/E+ style seating yet. DL itself does not consider C+ to be premium economy.

tjh8402

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 am

michman wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Lots of confusion here. Delta sells C+ as a separate fare class (W) both domestically and internationally. However, DL does NOT consider C+ to be a premium economy product. Their premium economy product is called "Premium Select" and uses completely different fare classes - P/A/G. They also now use these fare classes on partner metal premium economy seats (AF/AZ/VS). This product is only offered on international routes (on domestic routes, the P/A/G fare classes are used for discount F tickets). The various third party search engines will list DL C+ fares as "premium economy", but that's because they haven't added a category for C+/E+ style seating yet. DL does not itself consider C+ to be premium economy.

Probably part of the reason they haven't added a category is because DL is the only one selling it as a separate class. You can't buy a Y+ ticket on AA or UA. You have to select a Y ticket and then pay to upgrade per segment. You don't have to upgrade all segments on multi stop itineraries whereas on DL you're on for the whole leg. It's actually a big PITA to comparison shop because it's not sold or priced apples to apples and I can't see how a search engine could list it. I will say DL W is typically cheaper than AA or UA Y+ upgrades on all segments.

intotheair

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:40 am

tjh8402 wrote:
michman wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

Lots of confusion here. Delta sells C+ as a separate fare class (W) both domestically and internationally. However, DL does NOT consider C+ to be a premium economy product. Their premium economy product is called "Premium Select" and uses completely different fare classes - P/A/G. They also now use these fare classes on partner metal premium economy seats (AF/AZ/VS). This product is only offered on international routes (on domestic routes, the P/A/G fare classes are used for discount F tickets). The various third party search engines will list DL C+ fares as "premium economy", but that's because they haven't added a category for C+/E+ style seating yet. DL does not itself consider C+ to be premium economy.

Probably part of the reason they haven't added a category is because DL is the only one selling it as a separate class. You can't buy a Y+ ticket on AA or UA. You have to select a Y ticket and then pay to upgrade per segment. You don't have to upgrade all segments on multi stop itineraries whereas on DL you're on for the whole leg. It's actually a big PITA to comparison shop because it's not sold or priced apples to apples and I can't see how a search engine could list it. I will say DL W is typically cheaper than AA or UA Y+ upgrades on all segments.

Also, I would argue that as far as domestic travel goes, Delta's C+ is a slightly better product than UA's E+ or AA's MCE. DL's C+ includes a better snack selection than Y, a free adult beverage, dedicated overhead bin space, and Sky priority boarding. It also earns more miles in many SkyTeam FFPs.

UA's E+ includes the extra legroom and nothing more.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

ltbewr

Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:47 am

One problem with 'Premium Economy' is that on some older model planes and ones that are overdue for refurbishment getting a few more inches of leg room is all you'll get. I was on UA 941 LRH-EWR which uses a 767-300 and had the older style seats, old tiny screen entertainment systems (except in Biz/1st), if put the tray table down wasn't any room between it and my overweight stomach. On my flight the prior week EWR-LHR, was on a 767-400 which beyond being a newer aircraft, had the newer thinner seats, much better entertainment systems and larger screens.
To me if on a base economy fare, you might be better off on choosing a newer or more recently refurbished aircraft than choosing PE unless you are taller and really need the additional seat pitch