Iloveboeing
Topic Author

YYZ Connection Question

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 am

Hi everyone,

I live in Missouri and I'm looking at going to Nova Scotia next spring. I was looking at AC and they offer MCI-YYZ-YHZ. My question is about the connection in YYZ.

Going there, the connection time is just over an hour and coming back, it's about 2 hours. As MCI to YYZ is an international flight, will I have to do customs and immigration in Toronto or does MCI have Canadian preclearance? If I do have to do customs in Toronto, will I have time to make my connection? Will my bag transfer automatically or will I have to reclaim and recheck my bag?

Thanks for your help!

Thefireset

Re: YYZ Connection Question

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 am

1 hour for MCI - YYZ - YHZ is very short because you have to pass the customs at YYZ take your bag at the bagage claim and register it for the next flight. For the return flight, you don't have to do any custom because you do it at MCI at arrival, so you have a lot of time.

stlgph

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:24 am

Huh? Toronto pre-clears.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Whiteguy

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 am

Connecting from the US to Canada through YYZ you DO NOT need to collect your baggage, it will be connected through to your next flight. Coming back through YYZ to MCI you will go through US customs in YYZ. Again, you will not need to collect your baggage.

Jshank83

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:12 am

Iloveboeing wrote:
Hi everyone,

I live in Missouri and I'm looking at going to Nova Scotia next spring. I was looking at AC and they offer MCI-YYZ-YHZ. My question is about the connection in YYZ.

Going there, the connection time is just over an hour and coming back, it's about 2 hours. As MCI to YYZ is an international flight, will I have to do customs and immigration in Toronto or does MCI have Canadian preclearance? If I do have to do customs in Toronto, will I have time to make my connection? Will my bag transfer automatically or will I have to reclaim and recheck my bag?

Thanks for your help!

My wife flew STL-YYZ-YHZ and had a connection like you are talking about. She made her shorter connection flight but it was tight from what I can remember. She might have been the last one on the flight. She didn't check a bag. You are going to have to do customs in YYZ both directions since they pre clear coming back. I would hope they book your connection with customs in mind but maybe that is giving an airline too much credit. I would probably just risk it unless there is another option with a 2 hour layover. If it is going to be 3+ hours or something then I would definitely risk it, haha. I figure if you don't make your connection they will just put you on the next flight anyways (assuming there is room). I would hope there would be a couple more flights to YHZ that day and you will get on one.

767333ER

Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:27 am

As others have said, both directions in YYZ do not require you to claim your luggage. Depending on the way things work out you may not even have to re-clear security when doing the US to Canada connection as per my most recent experience doing that though I wouldn’t count on that on a MCI to YYZ flight judging by what gate that might go in to. I’m not sure exacly how this part of their most recent process works. Connecting Canada to US is rather simple as well. No need for baggage claim, just security and then a 3 step customs process, 2 of which are automated.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

opticalilyushin

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:56 am

I flew DUB-YYZ-YYC with Air Canada a couple of years ago, all on 1 ticket, with a 1 hour connection. I landed on time and was through immigration in a few minutes, but I waited 45 minutes to collect my bag, before I could walk/run through customs and check it again..i didn't make my connection..

Cubsrule

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:02 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
    I flew DUB-YYZ-YYC with Air Canada a couple of years ago, all on 1 ticket, with a 1 hour connection. I landed on time and was through immigration in a few minutes, but I waited 45 minutes to collect my bag, before I could walk/run through customs and check it again..i didn't make my connection..

The fact that you sometimes no longer need to claim a bag when entering Canada is a fairly new process. Unfortunately as pointed out above, it's gate-dependent.

YYZ has a nice guide to connections on its website: https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#
    I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

stlgph

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:54 pm

When flying with Air Canada you need to be there 90 minutes ahead of time. If you try checking in less than an hour, they will not let you check a bag. I've had two experiences at LGA where I was there, in line, well ahead of time, and then Air Canada kept moving us over into new lines at the ticketing desk. When we got up there, it was 58 minutes until departure, and they would not let us check a bag and would not let us travel. Then they started throwing out other "Air Canada policies" which, plain and simple, were bullshit, and did not exist.

*HOWEVER* that being said I had my phone out and was on flight aware and realized our plane was late on the in-bound and on the out-bound, we would have landed in Montreal past our connection, and everything was oversold for the rest of the day into Quebec City. So, in essence, they were trying to screw us. I called them out for it each time and they were able to book me (us) to Montreal where they gave us vouchers for the Orleans Express bus into Quebec City. Coming back to the states? No problems, of course.

And for the record, I now fly Westjet.
    if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport