RobEdwards
Topic Author

Choosing the right travel agency..

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:37 pm

Which is the most reliable online travel portal? I have zeroed in on Booking.com., after seeing the impressive financial performance by its parent company Priceline Group; found this chart which says their profit rose more than 200 per cent in three months. - http://alph.st/b95703ec

PatrickZ80

Re: Choosing the right travel agency..

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm

It depends on what you're looking for. Booking.com is known to have a wide range and good reliability, but it never hurts to compare case by case.

For example for my last holiday (I just got back) I found an attractive appartment on Booking.com. After that I went to look for more information about that appartment and found out it had it's own website. Booking through the appartment's own website appeared to be cheaper than Booking.com, and just as reliable. Had a very nice holiday.

ryan78

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:31 pm

RobEdwards wrote:
Which is the most reliable online travel portal? I have zeroed in on Booking.com., after seeing the impressive financial performance by its parent company Priceline Group; found this chart which says their profit rose more than 200 per cent in three months. - http://alph.st/b95703ec

I used booking.com once and found out the hard way about their sneaky hidden taxes. I booked a hotel only and it gave me a final price in bold big numbers. However when I checked my statement on my visa, I found out I had been charged an extra $320 on top of the price I thought I was paying. I called booking.com and they informed me that $320 was the taxes. I argued that the taxes were not disclosed and that the advertised price was wrong. However upon reviewing the payment page about 4 lines underneath the "total price" hidden in the fine print in small, italicized text read "taxes $320 not included in above price". That was the last time I booked with them, never again.

If looking for just hotels I would recommend hotels.com. When I can't book a hotel through my company staff travel I always use hotels.com. Usually it is the cheapest rate but the odd time it'll be cheaper on the hotels actual website. Plus if you register and stay 10 nights you'll get a free night on most hotels offered on the site. It adds up if you travel a lot, I already have 2 free nights this year alone.

PatrickZ80

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 pm

ryan78 wrote:
I used booking.com once and found out the hard way about their sneaky hidden taxes. I booked a hotel only and it gave me a final price in bold big numbers. However when I checked my statement on my visa, I found out I had been charged an extra $320 on top of the price I thought I was paying. I called booking.com and they informed me that $320 was the taxes. I argued that the taxes were not disclosed and that the advertised price was wrong. However upon reviewing the payment page about 4 lines underneath the "total price" hidden in the fine print in small, italicized text read "taxes $320 not included in above price". That was the last time I booked with them, never again.

If looking for just hotels I would recommend hotels.com. When I can't book a hotel through my company staff travel I always use hotels.com. Usually it is the cheapest rate but the odd time it'll be cheaper on the hotels actual website. Plus if you register and stay 10 nights you'll get a free night on most hotels offered on the site. It adds up if you travel a lot, I already have 2 free nights this year alone.

That's not my experience, I've always been charged exactly the advertised price and nothing more. Of course the payment method varies on the hotel policy, but there's nothing that Booking.com or any other booking site can do about that. Some require a full pre-payment, some require a partial pre-payment and some require no pre-payment at all. Also sometimes there is a cheaper price for a no-cancelation policy. In other words, once booked you have to go because there's no refund.

PI4EVER

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 pm

Book air, hotel and cruises directly using their websites to insure you get the most accurate fares and rates and details that may be important to insure your trip is to you satisfaction like room choices, seat assignments, cabin category choices etc.
Use a "walk in" travel agency if you're interested in tour packages, cruise bookings and air fare research using their GDS system to check price and service. Most agencies are not paid commissions by airlines so many charge a booking fee for airline bookings; Otherwise, you pay no hidden "booking or administrative fees" that on-line booking engines may access.
watch what you want. you may get it.