OllyVanGaal
Topic Author

Need help starting my own airline

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello,

I've recently joined the forum simply to look for an aviation follower like myself who has similar ambitions.
Or, someone who would like to join me on an adventure.

For a couple of years, I've had a vision to create my own UK-Based airline, flying typically commuter-style transatlantic routes from CA/US to UK. However, I do need some help from someone more clued up.

If anyone would like to join me on my epic journey, praise me or even pick holes, do feel free!

This is me, reaching out to ask for help from somebody who has effectively got the knowhow to get a plane in the sky!

Warmest regards, Olly.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Non descriptive title

MoKa777

Re: Guys, I think I'm mad...

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:49 pm

What is it that you do for a living? Do you have any experience in the aviation (specifically airline) industry?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

FlyHappy

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:52 pm

okay, I'll play.

what does "typically commuter-style transatlantic routes" mean to you ? do you mean low cost or something else?

do you have several hundred million pounds and the backing of others who also do? Just a practical question.

finally - transatlantic flying is awfully well served by a large number of carriers, and so - what is the hole in the market that you intend to fill?

Best Regards.

COSPN

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:59 pm

To be an airline millionaire start with a billion dollars - Sir Freddie Laker / Sir Richard Branson

Dutchy

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:12 pm

The biggest question is indeed, do you have access to investors with deep pockets whom share your enthusiasm.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

777GE90

Re: Need help starting my own airline

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:46 pm

It's nice to see someone who is willing to take a risk to chase what they want to do.

I'm no expert but I think aiming to start with international routes between UK / US / CA is going to be a mistake considering how competetive those routes are already and that's not even considering the multi million dollar jets you will need for it.

Why not start small with some GA planes and operate local flights? If you make some success in that, then maybe some day you can get a investors backing for international.

Gonzalo

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I admire your enthusiasm but your approach to the challenge seems to be unrealistic. You can’t go from zero to operate a multi billion dollars company just like that. TATL flights needs widebody jets, trained pilots and cabin crew, ground equipment, airport slots at both departure and destination , marketing campaigns to compete with all the others doing the same for years with consolidated products...to be honest I don’t think that approach would have any future.
A realistic approach? Search for a market or route with more demand than offer. Could be a local think, I don’t know, maybe short flights commuting two medium sized cities in some European country, or between some Canadian city and North Dakota, could be any place, but you need people who wants to go from A to B without options right now, that will make your business viable. Make some research for the infrastructure available in the area. Ask local authorities for regulations and what do you need to operate the route. After a big effort and a good dose of luck, you must do the fund raising to cover several months of operations , and that must include the leasing cost for your fleet ( you will need planes to fly ), the payroll for your crews, fuel, airport fees. If you do the things right, maybe, just maybe, in the future, with a lot of effort and good luck, you can go from zero to a small regional airline. If you keep your pace, after more years of effort and good luck, you can invest in bigger planes, longer routes, and take your piece of the cake. I wish you the best of luck!!

Rgds.
Gonzalo
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / Fairchild-227 / Ab318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789

deltadudejg

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:27 pm

If you really want to start an airline this here seems like the prime opportunity.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ag-carrier

The TATL market that your looking at as mentioned above is a bit saturated. Likewise start small, your going to need capital, investors, time and patients to start an airline but it's not to say it's impossible. Maybe if you do you can put a shoutout to airliners.net on the nose or something
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

peterinlisbon

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Olly, are you a billionaire? If so, start by poaching a CEO from one of the world's major airlines.

PatrickZ80

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Just read this:

viewtopic.php?t=1350365

Same question, useful answers.

PatrickZ80

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:38 pm

PS as others have said already, the TATL market is a bloodbath right now with extremely heavy competition and rock bottom fares. Impossible to make any money on. Besides that, I wouldn't base your airline in the UK if I were you. There's the Brexit coming up which is making things difficult since nobody knows how things will work out. Besides that, the UK has an APD (tax) on air tickets which makes them more expensive than in other countries so the UK is not exactly the most attractive country to fly from.

Sure, if you really want to start an airline there's got to be a niche to be filled somewhere but it'll be very difficult. You need to have a perfect understanding of how things work and what regulations you need to follow, and that's complicated to say at least. And then of course there's the matter of money, which you'll need lots and lots of. Not trying to discourage you, but just making sure you don't start anything you can't handle.

klm617

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
PS as others have said already, the TATL market is a bloodbath right now with extremely heavy competition and rock bottom fares. Impossible to make any money on. Besides that, I wouldn't base your airline in the UK if I were you. There's the Brexit coming up which is making things difficult since nobody knows how things will work out. Besides that, the UK has an APD (tax) on air tickets which makes them more expensive than in other countries so the UK is not exactly the most attractive country to fly from.

Sure, if you really want to start an airline there's got to be a niche to be filled somewhere but it'll be very difficult. You need to have a perfect understanding of how things work and what regulations you need to follow, and that's complicated to say at least. And then of course there's the matter of money, which you'll need lots and lots of. Not trying to discourage you, but just making sure you don't start anything you can't handle.

Only in the major markets. There are many untapped opportunities for low cost transatlantic links. You come into a high priced market with competitive fares and you can make a killing. The Midwest is loaded with endless opportunities. IN, OH, MI,TN, and KY all lack direct low fare flights to the major cities in Europe.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cunard

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:50 am

Last night I was trying to show my elderly 78yo mother a picture from another thread and was explaining to her whilst I was doing so how ridiculous this site has become over the last couple of years and as I was flicking through the threads I saw the weirdly named title of this thread and after reading what the OP had written with his pie in the sky idea I said to her 'now here is a typical example of what I meant'.

Some good replies guys but our future high flying billionaire entrepreneur hasn't responded.

synanthropic

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Cunard wrote:

Some good replies guys but our future high flying billionaire entrepreneur hasn't responded.

Though I completely and 100% agree with you, mate, the OP only posted ~20 hours ago (at this point in time) and perhaps doesn't check this site as compulsively as some of us may do :D

spacecadet

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:58 am

While I don't think it's a *bad* strategy to seek out the wisdom of the crowd, I also think that if your first step is asking a public forum how to start an airline, then it's probably not going to be the right vocation for you.

Starting an airline takes serious money; the kind held by people who already have the kinds of connections (including those with knowledge, or at least their own connections to knowledge) to start a venture like this. They wouldn't need to ask for help on a public forum. The fact that you're asking here suggests, to me anyway, that you probably don't have the types of connections, or the money, you're going to need to really get this going.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

BENAir01

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:43 pm

spacecadet wrote:
While I don't think it's a *bad* strategy to seek out the wisdom of the crowd, I also think that if your first step is asking a public forum how to start an airline, then it's probably not going to be the right vocation for you.

Starting an airline takes serious money; the kind held by people who already have the kinds of connections (including those with knowledge, or at least their own connections to knowledge) to start a venture like this. They wouldn't need to ask for help on a public forum. The fact that you're asking here suggests, to me anyway, that you probably don't have the types of connections, or the money, you're going to need to really get this going.

This totally sums it up.
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

albertocsc

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:34 pm

I've always dreamed about having my own airline, but unless I win the lottery or something really strange happens, I know I won't have one.

Anyways, I am working for one, and if you need any help I would be glad to collaborate with your project.

Best of luck.

KLMatSJC

Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 pm

albertocsc wrote:
unless I win the lottery

I can think of a million better ways to spend your money than starting an airline.
A318/19/20/21 A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B77E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-140/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip and the Cactus

Varsity1

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 am

Most posters on A.net cannot read an approach plate, let alone start an airline.

You would be better off going through a consultant to get the expertise needed.

Nicoeddf

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
Most posters on A.net cannot read an approach plate,

Pretty sure most of the worlds largest and/or successful Airlines' CEOs cannot read an approach plate. Conveniently enough they have trained staff that can do exactly that.

But yeah, founding an airline from scratch is a questionable venture at best without the money, the connections and the experience gathered through years working in the industry.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god