Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mmx747
Topic Author

Airlines serving free alcohol in Y

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Any airlines other than AA who offers free alcohol (beer, wine) on their long-haul flights? (Even in Y class)

CrimsonNL

Re: Airlines serving free alcohol in Y

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Pretty much every legacy carrier outside of the US?

Martijn

BoeingGuy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 pm

So does DL and UA now (again) offer alcohol on longer overseas flights. A better question is who does it domestically. I remember being an a Lao Airlines ATR and getting free beer on the Chang Mai-Luang Prabang flight.

BoeingGuy

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 pm

So does DL and UA now (again) offer alcohol on longer overseas flights. A better question is who does it domestically. I remember being an a Lao Airlines ATR and getting free beer on the Chang Mai-Luang Prabang flight.

CollegeAviator

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 pm

The only airline's that do not serve alcohol as far as I know are KU and SV.
Most airlines around the world serve alcohol.

theobcman

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

BA - anything you want anytime !

n729pa

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:52 am

AZ give you (if you ask of course) wine with your breakfast....

dredgy

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:14 am

Yes, every airline ever outside the US gives free alcohol on long haul service. Plenty give it even on short haul and regional service

n729pa

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 pm

I flew KLM this morning 0630 flight from LHR to AMS and they've were serving beer....a bit early but it's 5pm somewhere in the world.

PatrickZ80

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:

But not many serve it for free, certainly not in economy class. It's not about serving alcohol, it's about serving it for free and those days are mostly gone.

dredgy wrote:
Yes, every airline ever outside the US gives free alcohol on long haul service. Plenty give it even on short haul and regional service

In first and business class I can imagine so, but in economy? Most airlines I know only serve soft drinks in economy for free, alcohol is available as a buy-on-board product. And that's just the legacy airlines I'm talking about. There are airlines out there that even charge you for a cup of coffee or tea on board. Sure they got alcohol as well, but not free.

PatrickZ80

Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:58 pm

n729pa wrote:
I flew KLM this morning 0630 flight from LHR to AMS and they've were serving beer....a bit early but it's 5pm somewhere in the world.

Must have been in first or business class. KLM is famous for their corporation with Heineken launching the first on-board beer tap. When this was launched all passengers on board got a free beer as a publicity stunt, but it was said that afterwards it would only be available in first and business class.

HELyes

Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:41 pm

On Finnair beer and wine (also sparkling) are free on long haul flights in Y, harder stuff available for purchase. On the flights to USA and on the leisure oriented flights (Thailand Vietnam Mexico etc) beer & wine are served free only with the meals.

FlyRow

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
n729pa wrote:

Must have been in first or business class. KLM is famous for their corporation with Heineken launching the first on-board beer tap. When this was launched all passengers on board got a free beer as a publicity stunt, but it was said that afterwards it would only be available in first and business class.

KLM and First? That's interesting, you are 25 years late for that at least, KLM's Royal Class is long gone.
The on board tap has been used once or twice as a stunt, since then it's been silent on that front.

In Economy they serve Heineken as standard, also on KLc on europe sections (except short sections like DUS/BRU probably).

While it is seen as a premium beer around the world. In the Netherlands it's seen as mediocre and middle of the market at best, so it's not that special anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While serving booze seems special in the US, there are more airlines then Delta/United/American in the world. I know, for some Americans that is a strange thing. But to answer the question in short; nearly every legacy serves (soft) alcohol for free in Y. Some religious exceptions ofcourse. Notable exception might be SAS, IB and BA who don't on EU sections (for free at least) in Europe.

csturdiv

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
In first and business class I can imagine so, but in economy? Most airlines I know only serve soft drinks in economy for free, alcohol is available as a buy-on-board product. And that's just the legacy airlines I'm talking about. There are airlines out there that even charge you for a cup of coffee or tea on board. Sure they got alcohol as well, but not free.

I flew Qantas SYD-PER-SYD a few weeks ago in economy and there was free beer and wine with the meal service and even after the service.

Bhoy

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

But not many serve it for free, certainly not in economy class. It's not about serving alcohol, it's about serving it for free and those days are mostly gone.

dredgy wrote:

Even in North America outside the US, complimentary alcoholic drinks are standard in Longhaul Y: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/hom ... 50_title_0

CyBeRino

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
n729pa wrote:

That is specifically about tap beer which was a bit of a publicity stunt. KL serves complimentary (it's not free if you paid for the ticket) canned beer (and wine, and some spirits) in Y on all its flights, no matter the duration. In C the wine/spirits list is expanded.

Btw KL hasn't had F class in decades.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:48 pm

mmx747 wrote:
Any airlines other than AA who offers free alcohol (beer, wine) on their long-haul flights? (Even in Y class)

Emirates has pretty much whatever you want. Beer, white/red wine, cognac, whatever.

CrimsonNL wrote:

Martijn

The world of course ends at the USA borders, doesn't it? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh there, but free alcohol is something I expect on long haul flying.

dredgy

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:27 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

dredgy wrote:

You must be American! Essentially non low cost every airline outside the US serves complimentary alcohol in economy. Here in Australia, both Virgin Australia and Qantas (plus QantasLink) serve alcohol on most flights - just not early mornings. I fly Rockhampton to Brisbane often on Dash 8/ATR72 and usually get a beer or wine. And yes that’s in an all-economy plane!

stlgph

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Porter Airlines. free wine and beer.

max999

Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:

DL has free wine, beer, and spirits in long haul economy.

DL also serves free wine, beer, and spirits in Y+ on domestic flights; I understand that DL is the only US3 that does this.

B747forever

Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:03 pm

theobcman wrote:

Sadly, that is how it used to be on short haul. Now you dont even get water without opening the wallet unless you want that disgusting "tap water".

n729pa

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:31 pm

B747forever wrote:
theobcman wrote:

Sadly, that is how it used to be on short haul. Now you dont even get water without opening the wallet unless you want that disgusting "tap water".

Yes sadly true. In fact I'm not so sure they will serve alcohol on European flights first thing in the morning. I'm sure a weeks ago on a flight to Lyon someone next to me asked for something and they said no, not until a certain time. I wasn't paying too much attention initially so could be wrong.

On the subject of "dry" Airlines. .KU and SV. Aren't IR dry too? I know they used to be some years ago post-revolution but not sure if that's been relaxed now or not.

masgniw

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:42 pm

max999 wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

DL has free wine, beer, and spirits in long haul economy.

DL also serves free wine, beer, and spirits in Y+ on domestic flights; I understand that DL is the only US3 that does this.

DL offers free alcohol on the West Coast Shuttle between LAX-SEA-SFO in Y. Same is true for the NE Shuttle (BOS-LGA-ORD).

csturdiv

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:59 am

n729pa wrote:
B747forever wrote:
theobcman wrote:

Yes sadly true. In fact I'm not so sure they will serve alcohol on European flights first thing in the morning. I'm sure a weeks ago on a flight to Lyon someone next to me asked for something and they said no, not until a certain time. I wasn't paying too much attention initially so could be wrong.

On the subject of "dry" Airlines. .KU and SV. Aren't IR dry too? I know they used to be some years ago post-revolution but not sure if that's been relaxed now or not.

Hate to bring up QF again, but I flew QF (Qantaslink B712) SYD-CBR (183 miles) and they served free alcohol on that flight along with a boxed snack of some sort, I've already forgotten what that was, was nearly 2 years ago. And on landing when I handed back my can to the FA when they were preparing the cabin, she shook it and said you still have some and gave it back to me. She said to just hang on to it while landing and put it into the seatback when done.

jeffh747

Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 am

Virgin America offers free alcohol on their Los Angeles to Vegas service. Because the flight is so short, they only have limited catering and offer passengers either water, white wine or beer for free (at least as of October 2017)

Osiris

Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:50 am

mmx747 wrote:

Aside from a few corner case examples, all carriers outside of the USA serve complimentary alcohol in Y on long-haul flights.

TOGA10

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

dredgy wrote:

Flew BA AMS-LHR-LAX and return last summer, economy. Buy on board on the short (intra European) sectors, free drinks incl alcoholic on the long sectors. As many free G&Ts as we wanted!

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:39 pm

n729pa wrote:
B747forever wrote:
theobcman wrote:

The airlines from strict Islamic countries do not serve any alcohol (or pork). Off the top of my head: PK, IR, SV, KU, and BI.

blandy62

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:09 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
n729pa wrote:
B747forever wrote:

The airlines from strict Islamic countries do not serve any alcohol (or pork). Off the top of my head: PK, IR, SV, KU, and BI.

you can add Egyptair and Biman Banglasdesh to the list

tommy1808

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

But not many serve it for free, certainly not in economy class.

I am pretty sure Ryanair and Transavia are the only airlines I have ever flown with that don't give you complementary alcoholic beverages at the time I was fling with them. DL, KL, AF, TK, CI, CX, LH, CA, BA.. I may have forgotten a few. Even freaking Uni Air on a tiny Taiwanese domestic hop. Even AA, but granted, that was 16 years ago, 9/10 .. easy to remember that date.

Best regards
Thomas

FlyRow

Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:45 pm

^^
Ryanair and Transavia are LCC's..

I think we have (by a long distance) concluded that every legacy serves food at least on long haul.. and 90% of them on short haul as well.

LCC's and Religous cariers are something else.

PatrickZ80

Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm

FlyRow wrote:
^^
Ryanair and Transavia are LCC's..

I think we have (by a long distance) concluded that every legacy serves food at least on long haul.. and 90% of them on short haul as well.

LCC's and Religous cariers are something else.

That's the difference between an LCC and a legacy. Norwegian doesn't serve free food and alcohol on their flights as well. Even on their long haul flights it's available as buy-on-board. Of course Norwegian is an LCC, they can be so cheap because the price for free food and drinks is not included in the ticket price. On a legacy you pay for it even if you don't use it, it's included in the ticket price. That's why I personally prefer LCCs over legacy airlines, I don't like paying for what I'm not using.

Whenever I'm flying a legacy I see so many things that could have been saved on. All those savings would have made my ticket a whole lot cheaper. I would have prefered the cheaper ticket over all those extras. Have to admit, I rarely fly legacy airlines.

blandy62

Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Whenever I'm flying a legacy I see so many things that could have been saved on. All those savings would have made my ticket a whole lot cheaper. I would have prefered the cheaper ticket over all those extras. Have to admit, I rarely fly legacy airlines.

true but a lot of legacy tend to become more like LCC when it comes to all those things but still keep charging like legacy airlines

rrapynot

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Horizon Air have free beer on their Q400 flights. AM have free beer, wine and tequila on domestic and international.

CarlosSi

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 am

Flew on Lufthansa some years back, they provided us with the option of red wine at no cost (didn't like it!).

trijetsonly

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:36 am

Lufthansa offers free alcohol on all flights in all classes.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm

I've just returned from a trip on VS in Y, they offer free alcoholic drinks on every meal service and the MANY drinks runs, and even between that you could go to the galley and ask.

infinit

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 pm

SQ has a wide range of booze, whisky, wine, beer and cocktails even.. And pretty generous with regular drink rounds..

DaveFly

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:38 pm

I flew Delta twice this year on long haul in Economy — free alcohol was served on all segments. I remember it well because I spilled a glass of wine on myself :)

Hawaiian serves free wine and beer on the JFK route.

And I’ve flown LY recently, which also serves free beer and wine in Economy.

ojjunior

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 am

All of them?
Never had my beer refused in Y. Neither my wife's wine...
Except a single occasion flying Egyptair out of CAI but i knew it before boarding so not a surprise.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:03 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:

Martijn

Depends on what would you call a legacy airline. LO is certainly one of the older airlines and they do not serve free alcohol in Y.

Bhoy wrote:
Even in North America outside the US, complimentary alcoholic drinks are standard in Longhaul Y: https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/hom ... 50_title_0

AC's service may be a hit or miss. They will definitely give you one drink, but getting more may be a problem. And then there are longhaul routes operated by Rouge. Non alcoholic drinks only are included in Y.

ojjunior

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 am

n729pa wrote:

Loved your perspective.

Slash787

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Emirates, except for flights to Saudi