peterinlisbon
Topic Author

United Airlines discriminates based on nationality

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:58 pm

I am trying to buy a ticket on United Airlines from Denver to Des Moines on 12th December. The fare is 38$ (total including tax), but when I put in my credit card details it requires the address and as soon as it knows that I´m from the UK the price doubles to 59 pounds, which is about 80$. How is it legal for them to charge double for no reason, discriminating against me based purely on nationality. I want to pay in dollars, not pounds and why should I pay more for exactly the same product? Even if I try to pay by Paypal using my dollar Paypal balance it forces me to enter my address so that it can switch into pounds and change the price.

33lspotter

Re: United Airlines discriminates based on nationality

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 pm

I’m pretty sure that BA charges more for customers in the US to fly a round trip to LHR than those orginating at LHR flying a round trip to the same U.S. destination. At least when I compared the prices on Google flights they were different (even considering the USD to GBP exchange rate.)
CRJ900, E175, E190, 712, 733, A319, 737, 738, 739, A320, A321, 752, 753, 763, A332, A333, 788, 789, 772, 744, A388

kgaiflyer

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:15 pm

United takes *everyone's* money. I doubt if Nationality is the problem here.

The problem may be that you were quoted a point-to-point "Basic Economy" fare for DEN-DSM, and the reservation computer cannot see a connection point relative to your home address. For instance, if you're flying LHR-DEN and then DEN-DSM flight as a connection, you would be purchasing two different fares classes - Economy and Basic Economy. You may want to talk this over with a telephone reservation agent rather than possibly getting stranded in Denver and having to repurchase a Y class ticket for DEN-DSM.

Aptivaboy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Why not call their reservation center and try to book over the phone and see what happens? It would be interesting to hear what the agent's reasoning is for the up-charge, if it even happens. This may just be a computer glitch, I guess, so calling and speaking to someone in-house might generate an answer.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 pm

I only want to buy a ticket from Denver to Des Moines as I will buy another ticket from London to Denver on Norweigan. Anyway, it's none of their business how I get to Denver. For all they know I could be there right now. If the fare is 38$ then how can they not let me pay this fare and switch at the last moment (at the payment stage) to a price of 59 pounds which is more than double the fare just because I have a UK address?

B747forever

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:32 pm

If you have a problem booking it through United.com, just try doing it through a OTA such as Kayak, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia etc.
Work Hard, Fly Right

khowaga

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm

United is probably required to collect a certain amount of tax on sales in the UK. Since the OP’s credit card is associated with a UK address, the tax rate is triggered automatically (ditto PayPal), which is the reason for the discrepancy.

Remember that Apple and Amazon got hit with a huge amount of EU sales tax fines a few years ago for online sales that weren’t taxed properly — OP might have better luck trying a phone line, as others have said.

redrooster3

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Is basic economy only for USA residents? Can anyone confirm?
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

B747forever

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Is it UA1771 on 12DEC you are trying to purchase a ticket on? See the same price UA charge for on Expedia and Orbitz. Just use them instead of directly from United.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Super80Fan

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 pm

That's because when it see's your from the UK it gets rid of the Basic Economy fare. Don't know why but that's what they're doing.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

airzona11

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Probably has something to do with their point of sale software. Airlines charge different prices for a different origination, maybe the UK address on the CC is triggering that. Calling them is will resolve it in a matter of minutes.

StTim

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 pm

khowaga wrote:
United is probably required to collect a certain amount of tax on sales in the UK. Since the OP’s credit card is associated with a UK address, the tax rate is triggered automatically (ditto PayPal), which is the reason for the discrepancy.

Remember that Apple and Amazon got hit with a huge amount of EU sales tax fines a few years ago for online sales that weren’t taxed properly — OP might have better luck trying a phone line, as others have said.

There is no UK tax due on this transaction. The service is being provided in the US and the taxes that apply are the US ones.

If however they were selling a segment within the UK then UK tax would always apply.

Kilopond

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
[...]How is it legal for them to charge double for no reason, discriminating against me based purely on nationality.[...]

Sorry to tell you, but things like start of journey outside or inside the country of residence have been part and parcel of fare rules ever since. This has nothing to do with discrimination by nationality, but just by place of residence or IP address.

Here is some advice:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/map-happ ... 15424.html

khowaga

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 pm

StTim wrote:
khowaga wrote:

There is no UK tax due on this transaction. The service is being provided in the US and the taxes that apply are the US ones.

If however they were selling a segment within the UK then UK tax would always apply.

Right, but the software may not be able to parse this properly. That’s why, as others suggested, calling or booking through a third party site may yield better results.

AngMoh

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:49 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I am trying to buy a ticket on United Airlines from Denver to Des Moines on 12th December. The fare is 38$ (total including tax), but when I put in my credit card details it requires the address and as soon as it knows that I´m from the UK the price doubles to 59 pounds, which is about 80$. How is it legal for them to charge double for no reason, discriminating against me based purely on nationality. I want to pay in dollars, not pounds and why should I pay more for exactly the same product? Even if I try to pay by Paypal using my dollar Paypal balance it forces me to enter my address so that it can switch into pounds and change the price.

Your $80 is cheap! Don't complain.

Just for comparison: Three years ago tried to book a one way LHR-IAH in J. My route was SIN-LHR-IAH-SIN. My SIN-LHR IAH-SIN J ticket was about GBP3300 on SQ. Both BA (that purely British airline which does not discriminate) and UA (that nasty US airline which discriminates) asked for GBP 6500 one-way LHR-IAH when booked from SIN. In then end I flew LHR-IAH on BA in W for GBP2000 one-way and that did not include seat reservation. It sucks but all over the world this happens. Your $80 is still a bargain so don't complain. If I book the same flight from Asia using my travel agent I pay about $500-$800.

Nothing to do with discrimination - BA does the same.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 742 743 744 752 762 772 773 77W 789 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

usxguy

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Its normal to do point of sale restrictions on fares. Everyone does it.
xx

RJNUT

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 pm

old IATA acronyms apply in these cases SOTI, SOTO, SITO, etc. as in 1st example listed Sold OutsideTicketed Inside country of origin of the travel. If you are physically in the UK, you need to have some agency or somebody in the US purchase your ticket here for the fare desired. This originated from the old paper ticket days, but transfers over to the electronic age as well

mercure1

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 pm

As mentioned most fare types have a point of sale restrictions. Nothing bias, just the manner international fare rules are constructed.
Last edited by mercure1 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm

The thing about "point of sale" restrictions is they don't actually know where I am. I could be anywhere in the world right now, including Denver. Just because I'm from the UK doesn't mean that I'm there right now. When I go to the USA will I have to pay double the normal fare every time I fly? Why not just let me pay in dollars like everywhere else?

Anyway, I have got around the problem by getting a friend in the US to buy the ticket for me. The idea of using Expedia was also helpful, so thanks for that!

bgm

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

I think your bigger issue is choosing to fly on United in the first place... ;)
"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." -George Carlin

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Because United is charging you in GBP and therefore issuing the ticket in the UK. Whether you like it or not that is how their system is set up. Calling won’t solve the issue as I’ve tried that before.

As said just book with Expedia, as a US registered travel agent they will issue the ticket in the US for you at the US point-of-sale price.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

hz747300

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 pm

I don't get it either, and I think he/she should be able to complain if there is no logical reason for the fair difference and he/she can see the lower fare prior to moving to the payment section of the website. Presumably, from what is written, he/she is in the UK, but the IP used to connect to the website should reveal that so to me the higher fare should have been displayed already unless a VPN was used. Secondarily, for something like the fare change on the payment section with the overseas address added, it should be addressed in the FAQ.

Perhaps, because you are a foreigner, they believe that they will need an air marshal for the flight now and the extra fee is to cover that expense.

I'm just thinking...
Keep on truckin'...

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Yes, well I didn't ask them to charge me in GBP. I did the whole booking in dollars and at the last moment, instead of just taking payment like every other airline I have ever used they forced me to enter my address and used this as an excuse to change everything into pounds and double the airfare.

I have paid in Moroccan Dirhams, Turkish Lira, Euros, Pounds, Dollars.... never had this problem before. I'm not even in the UK right now, I'm in Istanbul (not that it matters really).
Last edited by peterinlisbon on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 pm

bgm wrote:

There isn't much choice these days..

usflyer msp

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:32 pm

Sorry OP, you are being far too dramatic about this - this happens every day on many airlines around the world. United uses the country of your billing address on your CC as the country of ticketing. Just go to Expedia or Priceline and book the ticket for the same price and chill out....

berari

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 pm

It can't tell your nationality based on your credit card. You could be a US Citizen with a UK credit card and still deal with that. So chill out.

Others have provided good insight. If the low fare is available on Expedia.com, buy it there.

jayunited

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:39 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Yes, well I didn't ask them to charge me in GBP. I did the whole booking in dollars and at the last moment, instead of just taking payment like every other airline I have every used they forced me to enter my address and used this as an excuse to change everything into pounds and double the airfare.

I have paid in Moroccan Dirhams, Turkish Lira, Euros, Pounds, Dollars.... never had this problem before. I'm not even in the UK right now, I'm in Istanbul (not that it matters really).

Most times when I do a credit or debit card transaction online whether it is to purchase airline tickets or just online shopping the system does ask me to enter my address it is part of the security system companies have in place. Airlines ask for your address only but online shopping will ask if the address your provided is the same as the shipping address. I could be wrong but I think whenever you purchase something online credit/debit card those companies and banks require you to enter the address associate with the card you are using. The only way I know around this is to call reservations but then reservations will charge you a fee for speaking with an agent. I don't think this has anything to do with discrimination this has everything do to with your location which isn't eligible for the sale price. What you could also do is call reservations and give them the U.S. address of where you will be staying and see if they quote you the sale price then ask to speak with a manager and ask them to waive the fee for speaking with a reservation agent because there were technical problems booking your travel online.

Newbiepilot

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Yes, well I didn't ask them to charge me in GBP. I did the whole booking in dollars and at the last moment, instead of just taking payment like every other airline I have ever used they forced me to enter my address and used this as an excuse to change everything into pounds and double the airfare.

Why can't you buy your ticket through an online travel agent like Expedia? I have had the exact same problem trying to book domestic or regional tickets outside of the United States with a US credit card. Booking through a travel agent that charges no fee usually fixes the problem.

etoile

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

They're discriminating based on where you are, not based on your nationality. You could be any nationality using a credit card with a UK address.

If you want some adverse discrimination, try being a non-white person or woman in the United States.

seat38a

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:19 am

Rail companies in Europe such as SNCF charge American's more all the time by forwarding us to Rail Europe which is almost twice as more expensive than buying on SNCF's main website. There are ways around it but for the average person, they will end up paying the higher price. Rules regarding where you live etc etc has been around for ages. Here we even exclude some states from cheaper fare rules, but it is not illegal here.

Vancouver charges a 15% tax on buying property if your a foreigner and it is not illegal. There are different prices for entry visa's based on your nationality and it is not illegal. If you don't like what United is doing then go somewhere else. Customs and immigration does not have to let you into the country and let everyone around you in and that isn't illegal.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:14 pm

They don't know where I am or what my nationality is, just what country my bank is from. In most cases that would be equivalent to nationality but not always. The thing is I also have Paypal and a balance in dollars so I tried to pay with that, but even with that they demanded my address and then switched into pounds without asking me and doubled the price.

But I don't see how that justifies charging a completely different price and another isssue is how they can advertise a fare of 38$, let me confirm and enter all of my details and then at the last stage when I click "pay" the price suddenly changes to an amount in pounds that is not equivalent to 38$. It is dishonest as well as discriminatory. How can you advertise a fare at 38$ and then when the person goes to pay say "so that's 60 pounds please (which is 80$)."

IPFreely

Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

hz747300 wrote:
I don't get it either, and I think he/she should be able to complain if there is no logical reason for the fair difference and he/she can see the lower fare prior to moving to the payment section of the website.

I agree he should be able to complain. But why is he complaining on this board? Nobody here can do anything about his $42. And even if they could, they wouldn’t after the ridiculous drama and talk of discrimination. Why doesn’t he call United and accuse them of discrimination directly instead of posting this drama on a message board?

RoySFlying

Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:31 am

It is clear that "discrimination" is employed in the setting of fares. It is perfectly normal, acceptable and legal business practice which may be displayed in various forms. Posters may have a different opinions on that but that does not make a concern "ridiculous drama". Others may be blasé about having to pay more than someone else booking the same advertised fare, but that doesn't mean everyone else should simply shrug their shoulders and stump up.

And why post here? This is an aviation forum and without posts no-one would have an excuse to pontificate. If anything, this thread highlights the issue to others who may not be aware that such business practices exist.
When I was a boy the world was flat and now, some people still strive to keep it that way.

IPFreely

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 pm

RoySFlying wrote:
And why post here? This is an aviation forum and without posts no-one would have an excuse to pontificate. If anything, this thread highlights the issue to others who may not be aware that such business practices exist.

Why not contact United directly? If he has a problem with United he should man up and talk to them instead of talking about them anonymously on a message board.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Why are you complaining about me complaining? If you don't like my thread, read a different one. This is a forum about civil aviation i.e. airlines and I'm talking about an issue that relates to that. I expected people on here to be knowledgable and perhaps know a way around the problem, and indeed the idea of using Expedia is a great idea so I am grateful to the person that suggested that.

I was also interested to know what other people thought of this practice. Even if it's not illegal, "foreigners, pay double for domestic fares when you fly United" is hardly a great advertising slogan and I don't appreciate being ripped off in this way. I also think it's very dishonest how they made me go through the whole process, including entering my name, address, and selecting various options and then my credit card details and then, after all of that, suddenly doubling the price whilst changing the currency, perhaps assuming I wouldn't notice. I wouldn't expect a reputable company to behave like that.

As it is, in the end I bought a ticket on Delta instead and it took me less than 3 minutes to buy the ticket. No need to pay in pounds or pay a different price for being a foreigner, so much better! And by the way I'm always happy to pubicly shame companies that treat me badly rather than letting them walk all over me.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:17 pm

IPFreely wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

Why not contact United directly? If he has a problem with United he should man up and talk to them instead of talking about them anonymously on a message board.

Seriously? Why are you so triggered by all of this?

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:01 am

RoySFlying wrote:

IPFreely wrote:

Let's get real; he could waste an hour on the phone dealing with United call centre minions who are very sympathetic but still keep repeating the fact that this is United booking policy. One single person complaining isn't going to change a thing.

By raising the issue here, word might filter back to United that they are getting adverse publicity. Then they might do something.
By raising the issue here, he can warn other people in the same position to watch their step, and check the final bill.
By raising the issue here, others might come up with alternative strategies to mitigate this problem. e.g. book with a different airline, book thru' a third party, etc
By raising the issue here, he might gain comfort from finding that he is not alone, that plenty of others have met similar problems, and worse.
By raising the issue here, it gives the rest of us on a.net the opportunity to join in an interesting discussion
And, finally...
By raising the issue here, it gave you the opportunity to share your great wisdom with the rest of the board. :roll:

Peace
There are two things that happen when you get old.
1. You start to lose your memory.
2. What was I saying again?

EricAY05

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:59 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Because United is charging you in GBP and therefore issuing the ticket in the UK. Whether you like it or not that is how their system is set up. Calling won’t solve the issue as I’ve tried that before.

As said just book with Expedia, as a US registered travel agent they will issue the ticket in the US for you at the US point-of-sale price.

This is absolutely not true! Earlier this year I booked a United trip starting from ARN. The price I was getting on their website was in SEK and converting it to EUR made the price go up. Also, I wasn't even able to book online because there is no "Finland" option in the credit card country. When I called, I managed to get the exact same price in EUR as in SEK (per xe.com). Later I found out that Diner's Club works well if you choose a "fake" country :D

Blimpie

Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:06 pm

bgm wrote:

From the rest of the responses I've seen so far,this seems like it would have happened if he tried to buy through AA or DL.
Real men fly without wings!

moo

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 am

peterinlisbon wrote:

Neither "nationality" nor "billing location" are protected classes, and as this is a private company selling a product to a private individual, they can charge what they like for it so long as they aren't colluding with another airline, dumping the fare unreasonably below market rates or other such market-protection-orientated restrictions.

Thats how its legal.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm

Blimpie wrote:
bgm wrote:

From the rest of the responses I've seen so far,this seems like it would have happened if he tried to buy through AA or DL.

Actually, that's not the case. I later booked on Delta and they didn't change the price into pounds or Euros after I typed in my address. I paid in dollars, as I would expect given that the price was set in dollars and I never asked to change the currency.

peterinlisbon
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
RoySFlying wrote:

IPFreely wrote:

Let's get real; he could waste an hour on the phone dealing with United call centre minions who are very sympathetic but still keep repeating the fact that this is United booking policy. One single person complaining isn't going to change a thing.

By raising the issue here, word might filter back to United that they are getting adverse publicity. Then they might do something.
By raising the issue here, he can warn other people in the same position to watch their step, and check the final bill.
By raising the issue here, others might come up with alternative strategies to mitigate this problem. e.g. book with a different airline, book thru' a third party, etc
By raising the issue here, he might gain comfort from finding that he is not alone, that plenty of others have met similar problems, and worse.
By raising the issue here, it gives the rest of us on a.net the opportunity to join in an interesting discussion
And, finally...
By raising the issue here, it gave you the opportunity to share your great wisdom with the rest of the board. :roll:

Peace

Yes, thank you, that's exactly right. I've found in the past that it can be far more effective to publicly shame a company than to spend money talking to someone in a call centre who probably has no power to do anything about it anyway. Last time I had a problem with Lufthansa, they tried to ignore me and told me they wouldn't refund my money until I started to bombard them on Twitter. Then they suddenly decided "in the interests of customer satisfaction" to give me a full refund.

I was also curious about what other people thought about the issue, given that it seems like a blatent form of discrimination against foreign passengers. Even if they can somehow defend this as being technically legal, I still find it insulting and discrimintory. They are not even subtle about it - imagine going through 3 or 4 pages of filling in forms with your name, address and credit card details to buy a 38$ ticket and then when you click pay it says something like "we have updated the price based on your location" (i.e. we're going to charge you double because you're from the UK). I've never even flown United before and I already hate them. This just seems like a rotten policy that is very likely to damage their reputation and rightly so. It's dishonest and disrespectful towards foreign passengers.

As far as this guy getting so upset about it and telling me to "man up" and call them.... it sounds to me like he might work for United, otherwise I can't understand why he takes it so personally. Anyway, why would I need to "man up"? Is Mike Tyson working the phones there now?

A very strange thing happened afterwards which I should also mention... after I found that I couldn't book it for the original price myself, a friend (in the US) tried to book the ticket for me on a travel website but they did not issue the ticket immediately and the next day she phoned them up and found out that the price had gone up to 465$. Excuse me, but what the??? I then decided to forget about United and booked on Delta. So in the end, because of their stupid policy, Delta got the money that United had wanted. I have to wonder about that 465$ fare from Denver to Des Moines. Do United have some rogue employee in the fare planning department that got pissed off and decided to spite me by putting up the fare from 38$ to 465$ for a short regional flight almost one month in advance? Anyone can check this by looking at DEN-DSM on 12th December, last flight of the day. All the other flights that day have prices of around 58$.

lesfalls

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:43 pm

I have a family member 11 years back who had his luggage broken and they wouldn't refund him because he was not an american citizen. This was on American Airlines but I wonder if it is still the same case on UA in todays age.
My Instagram account: @Jfkmxpairlinespotting