Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

timz
Topic Author

Longest-ever scheduled nonstop airline flight?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Longest by so-called great circle distance, I mean. Has Singapore's flight to Newark ever been beat? When did it end? Was it always an A340-500?

SpaceshipDC10

Re: Longest-ever scheduled nonstop airline flight?

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 pm

timz wrote:
When did it end? Was it always an A340-500?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore ... _Flight_21

gunnerman

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:06 pm

SQ does not fly to EWR, but does JFK via FRA.

Longest is QR's AKL-DOH at 9,032 miles operated by 777-200LR, daily departure at 1515 arriving 2335, scheduled flight time 18h 20m.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 pm

SQ21 has never been beat by great circle distance.

The only flight even proposed that would beat it, will be if QF officially launches SYD-LHR.

That, and if SQ ever went to GRU nonstop, that would beat it too... but no official indication that they're actually planning that, despite rumors.

VirginFlyer

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm

gunnerman wrote:
SQ does not fly to EWR, but does JFK via FRA.

They used to:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
timz wrote:
When did it end? Was it always an A340-500?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore ... _Flight_21

V/F

BravoOne

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Well if you measured this in time rather than NM, I think the TWA 1649A Constellation from SFO to LHR would be hard to beat at 21:20

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:26 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Well if you measured this in time rather than NM

Which is of course, a very poor metric for comparison.

Heck, the same route by the same carrier won't even have the same flight time, depending on weather, time of year, routing, and a host of other factors.

NichCage

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

The only flight even proposed that would beat it, will be if QF officially launches SYD-LHR.

That, and if SQ ever went to GRU nonstop, that would beat it too... but no official indication that they're actually planning that, despite rumors.

I know SQ cut GRU when the Brazilian economy wasn't doing too good, but are they really planning to resume GRU at some point?

What market was there for SQ at GRU?

SuperTwin

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:50 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

Is there any other lucrative ULH market in the world that would be greater in distance than SYD-LHR?

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:55 pm

SuperTwin wrote:
Is there any other lucrative ULH market in the world that would be greater in distance than SYD-LHR?

One could make the argument for NRT-GRU (and to a lesser extent ICN-GRU), as JL/RG and KE flew there.... but since both routes are nearly 1000mi longer than SYD-LHR, we won't be seeing either of them nonstop, any time soon.

Bluebird191

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:35 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Well if you measured this in time rather than NM, I think the TWA 1649A Constellation from SFO to LHR would be hard to beat at 21:20

The former “double sunrise flights” from Australia to Sri Lankan during WW2 were longer at 27-33 hours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_Sunrise

trent768

Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:37 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

One could make the argument for NRT-GRU (and to a lesser extent ICN-GRU), as JL/RG and KE flew there.... but since both routes are nearly 1000mi longer than SYD-LHR, we won't be seeing either of them nonstop, any time soon.

I think NRT-GRU and AKL-LHR are the longest routes possible that still make some business sense.

Anyway, why does NZ route their AKL-LHR flights via LAX when they could fly 500 miles less by going through NRT? I mean, the demand is there and you don't have to apply for the US transit visa.

OMAAbound

Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm

Turkish were proposing IST-SYD, which if they had started it would have been 9,294nm.

They canned it a few years back with all the issues in the region I believe

OMAA

ImperialEagle

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:03 am

BravoOne wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

tcaeyx

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:06 am

trent768 wrote:

Anyway, why does NZ route their AKL-LHR flights via LAX when they could fly 500 miles less by going through NRT? I mean, the demand is there and you don't have to apply for the US transit visa.

NZ has carved out a solid niche in the LAX-LHR market. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon, if at all.

ZK-NBT

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:07 am

trent768 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

I think NRT-GRU and AKL-LHR are the longest routes possible that still make some business sense.

Historically NZ always flew via the US, they served LAX-FRA with flights via the Pacific connecting from SYD/NAN/RAR/APW/PPT/CHC/HNL at different times most less than daily and only RAR remains to give it a link to the US and is subsidised.

They wouldn’t get that from NRT and may not even be granted 5th freedom right from NRT-LHR. LAX-LHR in itself is profitable for NZ where as a previous route HKG-LHR wasn’t profitable between 2006-13.

B747forever

Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:12 am

trent768 wrote:

Because of the great demand between LHR-LAX and that they can tap into this market. Demand is also higher on AKL-LAX than AKL-NRT. They rather fill the aircraft with local traffic (AKL-LAX // LAX-LHR) than sell a lot of through tickets (AKL-LHR), and LAX makes much more sense as demand is greater on those two markets compared to NRT (AKL-NRT // NRT-LHR) and why they keep flying via LAX and dropped HKG.

LAXLHR

Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:56 am

trent768 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SuperTwin wrote:

There are also a lot of industry studio contracts that dictate "highest" cabin on the aircraft, so they can pile "lesser" stars on to NZ J instead of BA or AA F. All carriers are used on the LAX-LHR, but NZ has remained an industry fav over the years.

aeromoe

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Bluebird191 wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

The former “double sunrise flights” from Australia to Sri Lankan during WW2 were longer at 27-33 hours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Double_Sunrise

It is currently known as Sri Lanka (not Sri Lankan) and during the WW2 era it was known as Ceylon.