Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAj97
Topic Author

LAX - LHR which Airlines?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Hey guys

I have been wondering which Airline is better for an economy flight from LAX to LHR

My options are: 1- British Airways 2- United Airlines 3- Air New Zealand

LAXintl

Re: LAX - LHR which Airlines?

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Unless you are married to a mileage program, I would say whoever is cheaper.

Also dont forget the Norwegian option to LGW.

FlyHappy

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:04 pm

BA A380 LAX to LHR. no question.

HAj97
Topic Author

Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Also dont forget the Norwegian option to LGW.

thanks for letting me know about LGW. All of them are nearly the same price

PatrickZ80

Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 pm

There's also American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic flying between Los Angeles and London, and of course those are only the direct flights. If you include a transfer, the possibilities become endless.

11725Flyer

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Type lax-lon into your browser. Google Flights will answer your question.

Frenchify

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
There's also American Airlines and Virgin Atlantic flying between Los Angeles and London, and of course those are only the direct flights. If you include a transfer, the possibilities become endless.

Yes, if a transfer is possible do not limit yourself just to ones in the U.S.

B747forever

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 am

11725Flyer wrote:
Type lax-lon into your browser. Google Flights will answer your question.

Since when does Google flights rank airlines based on service? The OP does not ask about what airlines fly LAX-LON, but which we recommend.

If there is no significant price difference between all carriers, I would choose one of the later flights from LAX as you will be able to get more sleep and minimize jet lag. This leaves you with BA (A380), VS (787) and AA (77W). Among those three I would go with BA and the A380.

george77300

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 pm

I would take BA A380 if flying Economy. The A380 is great for Economy seat size and BA service is usually great despite a dreadful business class. The A380 Economy is great though.

theobcman

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

george77300 wrote:
I would take BA A380 if flying Economy. The A380 is great for Economy seat size and BA service is usually great despite a dreadful business class. The A380 Economy is great though.

Agreed BA A380 would be the way to go. Upper deck towards the back feels nice and private. Very quiet during flight also. Good food, free booze & good IFE.

Just on the business class thing - I must be in the minority as I love Club World ! Big fan. BA do a lot of things right IMHO !

PatrickZ80

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 pm

theobcman wrote:
Agreed BA A380 would be the way to go. Upper deck towards the back feels nice and private. Very quiet during flight also. Good food, free booze & good IFE.

Just on the business class thing - I must be in the minority as I love Club World ! Big fan. BA do a lot of things right IMHO !

Keep in mind this is about economy class, so business class is completely irrelevant.

I've heard economy class on British Airways isn't much these days anymore, not what it used to be. Basically it's the service level of an LCC for the price of a legacy. Even Norwegian is offering a better product in economy class. If you really want good economy service, pick Virgin Atlantic. You may pay a bit more, but it's worth it. On the other hand, if you're looking for the lowest price, check out WOW air with a transfer in Keflavik. Might just be the cheapest option.

theobcman

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
theobcman wrote:

Keep in mind this is about economy class, so business class is completely irrelevant.

I've heard economy class on British Airways isn't much these days anymore, not what it used to be. Basically it's the service level of an LCC for the price of a legacy. Even Norwegian is offering a better product in economy class. If you really want good economy service, pick Virgin Atlantic. You may pay a bit more, but it's worth it. On the other hand, if you're looking for the lowest price, check out WOW air with a transfer in Keflavik. Might just be the cheapest option.

Just answering the point made from previous post.

What you’re heard is not quite right as I can tell you from a lot of experience what happens. BA will give blanket & pillow. A round of drinks after take off (anything). Then a full meal service with another drink if required (anything again). Another snack or breakfast depending on route before landing. None of those things are for example Norwegian giving anyone for free ! Service levels are actually a lot higher.

Along with good IFE and comfortable seat - this is the way to go.

n729pa

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:46 pm

My heart says Air New Zealand my head as a OW FF says AA as my choice.

But seriously depends on your criteria.

Actually if cost is a factor do check NZ because at certain times they have some great fares and promos (Inc PY) to fill the plane during low season UK-NZ-UK periods. Well worth checking.

masgniw

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm

LAXintl wrote:

This is the right answer.

Aside from scheduling differences, the difference between the Y product on these 3 airlines is pretty minimal. (However, ANet will blow these of proportion, naturally).

patineta89

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:19 am

I tried BA, AA and Virgin and I must say Virgin was the best on-board service wise. AA was a very poor experience...

afterburner33

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 pm

As much as I hate to say it, if price is similar, and it's economy, I'd also take BA over NZ. An A380 is (IMO of course) much more comfortable than a 10 abreast 77W.

Not sure what VS are using on this route these days - when I last did it, it was the A346, which was pretty good. I think it's a 789 these days - I've not tried that one.

B747forever

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 pm

afterburner33 wrote:
As much as I hate to say it, if price is similar, and it's economy, I'd also take BA over NZ. An A380 is (IMO of course) much more comfortable than a 10 abreast 77W.

Not sure what VS are using on this route these days - when I last did it, it was the A346, which was pretty good. I think it's a 789 these days - I've not tried that one.

VS is all 789 to LAX, with 3-3-3 configuration. So the A380 still wins, especially if you get a 2 seater on the upper deck.

LH658

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 am

NO to AA unless 777w, United big no rather fly LH or Swiss, Virgin yes, BA maybe, and I say Air New Zealand cause I never flown them.