JammyBritton27
Topic Author

How long will it take for Delta Air Lines to catch up with American Airlines?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 pm

I think Delta is far better than American Airlines. I wonder when it will become #1 airliner. I believe it won't be long enough for Delta to catch up with AAL, with its fleet size nearing to 1000, it's already 996 now.
https://alphastreet.com/bite/b560b41

gunnerman

Re: How long will it take for Delta Air Line to catch up with American Airlines?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Let me state a fact: bigger often means worse customer service. Trying to be the biggest when you are already huge is more to do with ego than sound business decision making.

flyguy84

Re: How long will it take for Delta Air Line to catch up with American Airlines?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Depends on what metric you want to go by.....

klm617

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:45 pm

gunnerman wrote:
Let me state a fact: bigger often means worse customer service. Trying to be the biggest when you are already huge is more to do with ego than sound business decision making.

It doesn't get much worse than Delta as far as the legacies go.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

9w748capt

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:46 pm

#1 airliner? Delta and AA are airlines. As for #1 airliner, well... the DC-9 of course!

B757Forever

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Agree 100%. DL will grow when and how it can be done profitably and when it make business sense. Growing just to be the biggest is a recipe for disaster.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

Prost

I’ve never seen anything from DL stating a desire to be largest. When DL surpassed UA in size I never heard a peep about it.

Yes, DL does tout their operational performance, and the size of their profits, but I’ve never seen anything regarding overall size.

JammyBritton27
Topic Author

gunnerman wrote:

Yeah, rightly said. :yes:

Capn

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:25 pm

9w748capt wrote:
#1 airliner? Delta and AA are airlines. As for #1 airliner, well... the DC-9 of course!

I agree 100% she was the QUEEN OF THE SKIES
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

adamblang

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Delta's market cap is $38,580,000,000. American's is $25,710,000,000. Delta is already significantly bigger.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

CriticalPoint

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:13 pm

Delta is a distant 3rd in Wide Body fleet size.....Don't really ever see them catching up in that metric due to all of their joint ventures.

IPFreely

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Prost wrote:
Yes, DL does tout their operational performance, and the size of their profits, but I’ve never seen anything regarding overall size.

They not longer tout their operational performance. You will note that the 2017 slides omit completion factor, on-time rate, and cancellation data (mainline only, days not in a row, weather excepted, etc. etc.) that dominated the 2016 slides:

ual747den

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:16 pm

This is the problem with this site being free for anyone to post on. We have a person who has been a part of this site for the past 2 hours who has made 5 posts stating that he knows Delta is FAR better than American and will soon be the worlds largest airline because sheesh they already have almost 1000 aircraft!
OP,
What will DL do to become the largest airline in the world and why would that position benefit them? According to you DL would be well served just buying a load of planes to say that they are the largest! Where exactly will Delta base these planes and where are they going to fly them to? Why do you feel that DL is so much better than American? What is your experience on these two airlines?

I miss the days of this site being a place where you could go to get good industry information from people who worked in and studied the industry. The information posted on this site was talked about each week at the highest levels of some of the worlds leading airlines however I cannot even remember the last time a Airlines.net topic was brought up in a meeting I attended.
/// UNITED AIRLINES

727LOVER

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm

Prost wrote:
I’ve never seen anything from DL stating a desire to be largest. When DL surpassed UA in size I never heard a peep about it.

Actually, they did. For that BREIF time that they were the largest, they did advertise it.

ual747den wrote:
This is the problem with this site being free for anyone to post on. We have a person who has been a part of this site for the past 2 hours who has made 5 posts stating that he knows Delta is FAR better than American and will soon be the worlds largest airline because sheesh they already have almost 1000 aircraft!
OP,
What will DL do to become the largest airline in the world and why would that position benefit them? According to you DL would be well served just buying a load of planes to say that they are the largest! Where exactly will Delta base these planes and where are they going to fly them to? Why do you feel that DL is so much better than American? What is your experience on these two airlines?

I miss the days of this site being a place where you could go to get good industry information from people who worked in and studied the industry. The information posted on this site was talked about each week at the highest levels of some of the worlds leading airlines however I cannot even remember the last time a Airlines.net topic was brought up in a meeting I attended.

:checkmark: Fanboyism ruins this site.

Capn wrote:
I agree 100% she was the QUEEN OF THE SKIES

Nope.....Boeing 727 :box:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

jetjack74

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Wow. Somebody really must've pooped in your Cheerios.
Made from jets!

HPRamper

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Let's tone it down a little bit. There are a lot of knowledgeable folks on A.net who wouldn't be here it were a fee site, and while free-for-all posting will have its ups and downs, I personally prefer an "outsider" to learn from asking a question here rather than turning to Google. I miss the A.net of ten years ago too but much of that is missing the contributions of members who no longer frequent the site and I can't just believe they all left because of the new people coming in.
Last edited by HPRamper on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abrelosojos

Re: How long will it take for Delta Air Lines to catch up with American Airlines?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I have never quite understood the American and European legacy employee fan boys. DL is an excellent airline, and the management is very good. However, it is far behind on things like digital and in next generation airline network. I fully lie the blame on an internal culture that just does not seem to be able to bring people in from outside the DL/NW clique. Their biggest downfall/challenge in the next few years would be that everyone has been trained in one set of ideology. The young analysts are drones trained in the DL/NW way of everything - from how to look at fleet to how to run a network simulation. This is not a bad thing - but, diversity of experiences and opinions is far better metrics to an assured continued success. If I were Ed B, I'd go to places like Alaska, WestJet, easyJet, COPA, AirAsia, JAL, and soak up some talent.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

readytotaxi

Re: How long will it take for Delta Air Lines to catch up with American Airlines?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Your airline is only as good as your last experience, now who was it said that?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

jumbojet

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 pm

If the OP is strictly talking fleet size, I don't know if that will ever happen and I don't even know if its that important. In more important and meaningful metrics, DL is already far superior to AA. And that's not my DL fanboyism talking, its the DOT stats talking and if you take a poll, DL will no doubt be most people's favorite airline over AA. I think DL is fine just the way it is. Your not going to see them needlessly adding seats to an already oversaturated TPAC market just for the sake of saying 'we fly the longest routes between two points so we're better than everybody else. That moniker belongs to UA actually.

DL upped the Diamond amex waiver to $250,000 which means I can either spend $15,000 in airfare to maintain DM or switch to UA or AA and spend only $12,500 to make top tier status. Let me tell you, its no a brainer to spend the extra $2.5 and stick with DL. Their customer service is FAR, FAR superior to that of AA. Its not even close. The times I've dealt with AA, they make you feel like a 3rd rate citizen. DL, its always been the customer first. ALWAYS. So again, in that capacity, AA has to catch up to DL and its doubtful they ever will. I truly believe its just AA's culture to be the 'unfriendly' airline.
Last edited by jumbojet on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jumbojet

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:03 pm

readytotaxi wrote:

that's a bunch of bull.

gatibosgru

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:07 pm

klm617 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

You must not fly UA/AA often then.
@DadCelo

spinotter

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm

jumbojet wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

that's a bunch of bull.

Then how do you rank airlines, jumbojet? By fleet size, RPM, CASM, number of destinations, overall customer experience (very hard to measure accurately), annual profits, on-time statistics, some combination of these factors? What are your ranking metrics? I think that the last experience plays an important role for all of us.

777Mech

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:42 pm

klm617 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Based on....?

Flighty

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm

In terms of a CEO's goals, really his or her goal is maximum market cap. If you can get it with 200 aircraft then every airline will "race" down to 200 aircraft.

It is a race for market capitalization, not a race to have the most equipment.

craigferg501

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Not more than a decade.

SteelChair

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 pm

Well according to the DOT reports, Delta pretty much beats the pants off AA already in all the factors that count: on-time, completion, mishandled bags, DOT complaints, tarmac delays. In fact, I don't think AA does better the Delta in a single category.

I've appended the link to the most recent DOT report below.......but Delta has beaten AA pretty consistently over the last few years.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/do ... r-atcr.pdf

Prost

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 pm

American is larger based on revenue, but it’s getting mighty close between DL & AA. As AA continues rationalizing their route structure post merger, there may be months when their revenue dips below DLs, but overall I expect AA’s revenues to continue to be 2-5% greater than DLs, just based upon their size. I’m not talking profits, etc., just overall revenue which seems to be what people think of as ‘The World’s Largest Airline.’ Second quarter of 2017 AA had revenues of $11.11 Billion, DL had revenues of $10.87 Billion. So American had $284 Million higher revenues. That’s 2.2% larger revenues.

Utah744

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 pm

9w748capt wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You are never too old to learn something stupid

WA707atMSP

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 am

I'm not one of the people on this web site who thinks DL is the world's greatest, most perfect airline.

However, I think DL will pass AA during the next recession, which is probably about two years out. Here's why:

1. DL is more profitable than AA, even though they carry fewer passengers. This means DL will not have to cut back as much in the next recession as AA will in order to stay profitable.

2. DL has already rationalized their hubs post-merger, by shutting down MEM and CVG. The only cuts I could see DL making in the next recession would be to scale back some of their flights at focus cities like BOS and RDU, in favor of flights out of their main hubs. Despite the fears of all the DTW fan boys here, DL's DTW hub is likely to remain largely unscathed even when the next drop in auto sales come, because it's the main gateway between the northeast and the midwest / west coast for DL.

AA and UA, however, have not seriously rationalized their hubs. AA has a strong hub in PHL and a weak presence in LGA / JFK. I think the next recession will force AA to walk away from their JFK focus city, and scale NYC flights back to just their hubs and maybe a couple of key spokes. I also see PHX being rationalized when AA's traffic drops during the recession, because it's between LAX and DFW.

Likewise, UA has a strong hub at SFO and a weaker hub at LAX, and a strong hub at EWR and a weaker hub at IAD. When traffic and yields drop, and UA only has enough traffic to support one hub in California and one hub in the northeast, LAX and IAD will go the way of CLE and MIA.

Once AA and UA rationalize their hubs, DL will go back to being #1 again.

oc2dc

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 am

ual747den wrote:
OP,

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking exactly what you're thinking. Please bring back the pay wall! I yearn for a fact-based debate with someone who is remotely knowledgeable about the industry.

And to answer the original poster's questions. There is 0 need for DL to be bigger than AA. Both airlines have their strengths and weakness ( DL in Asia, AA in South America). Size doesn't matter, profitability does.
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...