Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Super80Fan

Re: Should United bring back the Tulip?

Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
As much as I love the tulip, no. They need a complete redesign of their livery/logos/brand separate from ex-CO and ex-UA.

I can't wait for the deathstar to go though. It represents everything wrong with UA and it needs to go.

It's not going anywhere.

Oh, it better. The company is still divided and people associate the deathstar with beating people up, surly 70 year old FA's, and a terrible merger. It's got to go if United wants to get away from all of this.

dmstorm22

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Cold, minimalist, monochromatic. Don't even need to change the text and font. LCC almost. AND NEW! :bigthumbsup: And easy ID. Don't fly the airline with the blue tail!

Did you get this from somewhere? Honestly don't hate it. Not a huge fan of the tail.

I think United has a clear opportunity for a new image. They have a solid foundation with a nice shade of blue to work off of. The sky's the limit.

The ship has sailed on the tulip, and hopefully will sail soon on the globe as well. They botched the branding in the merger, and need to start fresh, but I would still keep the blue as the primary driver of the brand color.

gregn21

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Won’t ever happen.
What everyone fails to realize is that UA was absorbed into CO (Not the other way around). Effectively, the company that was United Airlines pre-2011 no longer exists. The tulip would have to be adopted by a totally different airline at this point.
Whatever they do, they should have it designed by whoever did the Battleship Grey livery, the best paint scheme of all time in my opinion.
Last edited by gregn21 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fry530

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:38 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
There is definitely something in the works but it doesn't involve the tulip.

jetmatt777, I sincerely hope you're correct, however I would love to know your source for this!

2Holer4Longhaul

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 pm

PMUA had a pretty dismal rep (not as much as Smisekified UA does now, but still). CO, going into the merger, had a good brand image (thanks, Gordon Bethune!) which I guess is why the globe was adopted. Now, the globe is reviled by many and adored by some, whereas the tulip is forgotten by most, disliked by most of the rest, and adored by few.
The decision UA made in using the Globe is, in many ways, symbolic of the fraught merger. Management tried to pick & choose elements from each side, which fostered an us vs them mentality among the crews. Even now, crews still identify as CO or UA crews, and the unions are separate.

What UA should have done then, and perhaps can still gain from doing now, is to create a new brand image and culture that aren't strongly rooted in PMUA or CO. That'd include a new logo that is neither the Globe nor the Tulip.

SurlyBonds

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:10 pm

UA777lover wrote:
I'm a die hard lover of the tulip and would love to see it come back, but that ship has sailed.

I keep hearing the assertion that the "the tulip's ship has sailed,", but I've got to ask: why?

If JAL can bring back the crane, and Air Canada the rondel maple leaf (admittedly not wholly abandoned), and Aeroflot a damned *hammer and sickle*, why can't United bring back the tulip?

The tulip is an iconic logo that evokes memories of a time when the airline had a much better reputation. I agree that the rebrand should be the culmination of a broader revamp of customer service, but that process *is* underway with Polaris. There's also artwork out there that shows the tulip reimagined in a way that honors CO's heritage as well.

NYPECO

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 pm

No. Most people aren't going to remember those bad PR moments anyway. Even if they did, a new logo wouldn't change that.

NYPECO

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Cold, minimalist, monochromatic. Don't even need to change the text and font. LCC almost. AND NEW! :bigthumbsup: And easy ID. Don't fly the airline with the blue tail!

It seems repetitive to have "United" on the tail and the fuselage.

B737900ER

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:27 pm

This thread is sad. If there’s any UA employees here still hating and talking trash about sXX, shame on you. UA will stay at the bottom with your mentality. MOVE ON

Jamake1

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm

The current United livery has a Jeff Smisek residue. It must go. The tullip is a relic from another era. United needs a comprehensive corporate rebranding...and not some cheap in-house job...but a relevant global rebranding from a commissioned global branding firm.

United is anything but one happy family. The further delays in flight attendant integration has created enormous ill will within the Inflight Division. I won't go into specifics here but the collective anger is palpable...

airzona11

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 pm

They have to be due for a rebrand.

14JDK

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Yes! Bring back the Tulip!

Antarius

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
UA777lover wrote:
I'm a die hard lover of the tulip and would love to see it come back, but that ship has sailed.

I keep hearing the assertion that the "the tulip's ship has sailed,", but I've got to ask: why?

If JAL can bring back the crane, and Air Canada the rondel maple leaf (admittedly not wholly abandoned), and Aeroflot a damned *hammer and sickle*, why can't United bring back the tulip?

The tulip is an iconic logo that evokes memories of a time when the airline had a much better reputation. I agree that the rebrand should be the culmination of a broader revamp of customer service, but that process *is* underway with Polaris. There's also artwork out there that shows the tulip reimagined in a way that honors CO's heritage as well.

The Tulip didn't have that great memories associated with it. Its like in hindsight we feel fondly about it, but pmUA was no shining star. Granted pmUA was better than Smisek UA, but most people don't really have fond memories of pmUA either. This is different than JAL, in my opinion, as JAL rebranded BEFORE they fell apart - so after they did fall apart, they went back to the old livery. JAL was also the national carrier prior to being privatized, so the JAL crane evoked a sense of national pride. UA does not have that history or love.

The Tulip is a relic. The current logo is boring. Smisek destroyed whatever was left. UA would do well to rebrand completely, although they need to iron out their labor and service issues first.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:32 am

United would be better of investing in its people & offerings rather than investing in rebranding.

Boeing778X

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
United would be better of investing in its people & offerings rather than investing in rebranding.

Well, at the moment, they are doing neither.

dmstorm22 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Did you get this from somewhere? Honestly don't hate it. Not a huge fan of the tail.

I think United has a clear opportunity for a new image. They have a solid foundation with a nice shade of blue to work off of. The sky's the limit.

The ship has sailed on the tulip, and hopefully will sail soon on the globe as well. They botched the branding in the merger, and need to start fresh, but I would still keep the blue as the primary driver of the brand color.

I just ran into it while browsing.

Especially that shade of blue is very UA.
Last edited by Boeing778X on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kgaiflyer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 am

As a customer - first a Skyteam Platinum - and now a Star Alliance Gold - I stopped caring about branding long ago as long as there was great service. For example, I once remember flying out of Houston when FAs were loudly complaining about how 'minorities being upgraded' would drive paying customers (like me) away from the airline. This *never* happened on United. OTOH, I had gotten used to dirty handprints on bins and ripped seat covers flying out of Dulles which I *never* saw on Continental. Together - from a client's point of view - I can see how the combined company improves over its subsidiaries. Personally, you can have a tulip or a meatball - or *neither - as long as customer service is great.

aca36

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:17 am

AirAfreak wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

That's a great looking post-merger UA & jetBlue livery! Lol!!!

Serious note: I second the thought of the North Star (Polaris) as the new UA-livery. It truly shines!

looks like northeast airlines :PPP

Jamake1

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 am

[quote="Boeing778X"]
[quote]

That is not at all the truth, but you wouldn't know because you don't fly United. For someone who really hates United...and who no longer flies United...you sure do spend alot of your time and energy thinking about an enterprise you hate.

FlyHossD

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 am

Boeing778X wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

[quote="dmstorm22"]

Huh? Or just trolling?

UA just received 4 more 738s, has 161 737Maxes on order and is adding Polaris to it's long haul fleet. There's more, of course.

FlyHossD

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 am

FlyHossD wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

To which Boeing778X wrote:
"Well, at the moment, they are doing neither."

Huh? Or just trolling?

UA just received 4 more 738s, has 161 737Maxes on order and is adding Polaris to it's long haul fleet. There's more, of course.

Boeing778X

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:54 am

Jamake1 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:

That is not at all the truth, but you wouldn't know because you don't fly United. For someone who really hates United...and who no longer flies United...you sure do spend alot of your time and energy thinking about an enterprise you hate.

I like how you add "who no longer flies UA." Oh, you betcha I no longer fly them.

And trust me, I am 100% justified in hating them. Now that I am working for AA, it's also my business to make sure the service I give to my passengers is superior to anything UA (and the main competition in general) has to offer!

And it is. I am dead serious. There are very few airlines I hate more than UA :banghead:

UA must rebrand, because keeping the Globe is an insult...to the ex-CO crowd.

TWA772LR

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:18 am

dmstorm22 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

It looks like a leaked UA/B6 merger pic. :stirthepot:

rbavfan

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 am

Themotionman wrote:
Does anybody think that United would be better off bringing back the tulip? After all that has happened to United in last few years with leggings-gate and the Dr Dao incident do you not think that the management should distance the brand from those bad PR moments. I think something similar to the 'rising blue' livery used before the merger. That would look much better than the 'bingo cage/death star' that screams Continental every time I see it. United needs to show to their customers that they are actually making a change, so a change in branding would compliment the "New Spirit of United" very well indeed. It would be interesting to know everyone's thoughts...

How many times does this same post have to be repeated. It has been sicussed on here almost as often as bringing back the 757. Enough already, it's gone. Let them move forward so they can make it a better airline rather than worry abut the past.

rbavfan

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 am

OA940 wrote:
As someone in some show that I can't remember once said: That ship has sailed. And sank.

P.S. Is this becoming a monthly thread? I've seen it at least twice recently.

Yes the tulip is the new 757. It's going to be beat in the ground so badly that all the love will start fading away.

jeffrey1970

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:05 am

I love the tulip. I also love the one before the tulip that they used in the 60's and early 70's.

jetmatt777

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 am

Boeing778X wrote:

You are terribly misinformed. United has invested more in its people and customer experience in the past 2 years than the entire decade before. The company has signed significant pay increases for all work groups, they have invested massive amounts in to new technology for front line workers which has made their jobs much easier. The company is also investing in a uniform overhaul for most work groups, which is aimed at making the employee both more comfortable and more confident with a better appearance. The company is implementing policy changes that are the result of direct front-line feedback.

Your hatred of United is misguided and unfounded. To say that they are not investing in their workforce is ignoring the past 2 years of sweeping changes Oscar has brought to the table. He is promising things, and most importantly he is delivering.

You might not like United, but don't spread false information.

Bald1983

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 am

United and Continental Airlines merged. The proclaimed it a merger of equals not an acquisition. They kept the United name and kept Continental's livery. Ever since, whiners have been decrying the loss of their precious Tulip. Here is how it works; get over it. Passengers do not car what is on the tail. They care about what is inside the fuselage, the places services are offered and the fares they can purchase. I got over the disappearance of the Continental name, you need to get over the end of the Tulip. However, if you pursuit, then I will call for the return of the Black Meatball.

Jamake1

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 am

Boeing778X wrote:
Jamake1 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:

I like how you add "who no longer flies UA." Oh, you betcha I no longer fly them.

And trust me, I am 100% justified in hating them. Now that I am working for AA, it's also my business to make sure the service I give to my passengers is superior to anything UA (and the main competition in general) has to offer!

And it is. I am dead serious. There are very few airlines I hate more than UA :banghead:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind against your former employer. You're obviously still emotionally charged over it, but I do take offense when you make comments demonizing the many of us at UA that call the best from within each time we go to work. There are many excellent flight attendants and other employees at s-UA.

The service level that you described you provide at AA...I've been providing that level of service...with passion...at s-UA for more than twenty years. So when you come on social media and repeatedly hurl insults at and berate the s-UA folks, it's offensive. And when you say that keeping the globe on the tail is an insult to the s-CO crowd, you insult some of the excellent, empathetic, and very hard working men & women at UA...many of whom were hired AFTER the corporate merger.

Your personal upset with UA bleeds sideways into just about every posting you post here and it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. Nor is it productive. I am making a request request that you refrain from making any further counter productive postings with regard to this specific topic. Your unresolved anger isn't relevant to the discourse. Thank you.

klwright69

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 am

I am just wondering how many thousands of people UA has hired since the merger. The globe is all they know. And the Tulip is fading from the public's memory too. And people are retiring every year. The airline is changing.

The Polaris role out is going to take several years. Years were spent developing it. The globe is baked into the Polaris concept. They are not rebranding anytime soon. Why do some fail to grasp this simple fact.

I was just on a DL flight from AMS to MSP. The crew was all exNW. Some even started with Republic. I had nice conversations with them. All the other mergers were not perfectly trouble free. Mergers are messy. These folks didn't think their merger with DL was wonderful either But it is what it is. Some of these folks even lamented that they should have gone ahead and merged with CO in the 90's instead getting in bed with DL. I recommended they come here and rant and rave about it (no seriously I didn't) to provide balance.

Smisek is gone, and the merger is now many years back in history.

It's shocking that some of you harbor such ill will. You should be ashamed. No one is saying you don't have a right to an opinion. But it's better if you let it go. It's like being a 55 year old and still complaining about how your parents raised you. You have a right to do it, but it's not healthy.

Are you still going to be hoping for the Tulip's return or a rebrand 5 years from now?

Even if they do rebrand at some point I still think the new concept will be "globey" in some way. And I love the gold line on the 787.

Pan Am owned the globe. TW's last livery was also a global concept. AA has that eagle claw thingy, EY has triangles.
A major US carrier with a global concept I think is a positive thing.

No one can argue that UA and CO would have been better off alone, in the face of the AA/US and DL/NW mergers.

VC10er

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 am

There is a distinction between a “brand” and “branding” that many here do not grasp- some do.
The United “brand” consists of the company’s behavior, services and hard product. The deliverables the experience for the consumer. Branding is just the visual representation of that. The important thing is that they are aligned. Right now United is being very smart. They are investing in the experience for their customers and it’s getting better day by day, month by month and year by year. A great new livery must be earned.
This year so far I have flown many international and domestic legs and everything was fine. The FAs have ALL been good to great, and when I get I have gotten the full effect: United Polaris on a 77W it’s been an exceptionally good experience. When I have flown domestically, every single flight was on time or early and everything went smoothly. When the thousands of people who have had good or great experiences with them becomes millions their old, bad reputation will become a distant memory IF they can keep it up. Old generations will pass and new generations of employees and customers will emerge and that is where their focus ought to be. They do not need a rebranding now, they just don’t. Keep the focus on improving the experience and people will come to appreciate United as they do Delta, maybe shoot for better- and then one day freshen up the livery.
To those here who work for United today: your good job is being felt, wether it’s on the phone, in the air on the app or in a new seat. Once the old boring interiors are updated that will be the best form of branding- not the dated globe on the tail.
I sure hope Oscar and Kirby don’t spend tens of millions of dollars on a new livery, instead spend it on the experience your fliers have. Spend it on your employees and on renovation and new aircraft and new routes. It seems like that’s what they are doing and if flying United from point A to Z is great, then they will reap the financial rewards.
Last edited by VC10er on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

jordanh

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am

Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Looks clean and cool... but I think Delta wants their widget back...

Blankbarcode

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am

irelayer wrote:
It's funny, the "exCO" "exUA" mentality is very much alive and well. I was not 4 weeks ago on a UA flight LAX-IAH and the DirectTV was spotty the whole flight. When this same thing happened on my GUM-HNL flight last year, I was given a URL to go to to get compensated. I asked an FA about it and she said "oh yeah, that's the way UA does it, we are a CO crew". Seriously 5+ years after a merger, and this stuff is still said indicates to me there is very little integration on the personal level.

-IR

This is especially noticeable and especially despicable thinking about how long it's been. Last time I flew United a technical issue with the IFE was blamed on the fact it was an ex-Continental airplane. Funny at the moment, but still weird to see so many years later.

OA940

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:29 am

rbavfan wrote:
OA940 wrote:
As someone in some show that I can't remember once said: That ship has sailed. And sank.

P.S. Is this becoming a monthly thread? I've seen it at least twice recently.

Yes the tulip is the new 757. It's going to be beat in the ground so badly that all the love will start fading away.

Only that the 757 actually is getting remade (ish).

exunited

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
They need to rebrand. The livery they wear is of a better airline from a better time.

Bring back the Tulip. They need a livery to match the service. Exunited will only have to complain about ex-CO employees about how they don't conform to the culture of indignity and disrespect.

Did UA fire you and that's why you went to AA? Really, hating on your old employer show indignity and disrespect.

Jamake1

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

VC10er wrote:
There is a distinction between a “brand” and “branding” that many here do not grasp- some do.
The United “brand” consists of the company’s behavior, services and hard product. The deliverables the experience for the consumer. Branding is just the visual representation of that. The important thing is that they are aligned. Right now United is being very smart. They are investing in the experience for their customers and it’s getting better day by day, month by month and year by year. A great new livery must be earned.
This year so far I have flown many international and domestic legs and everything was fine. The FAs have ALL been good to great, and when I get I have gotten the full effect: United Polaris on a 77W it’s been an exceptionally good experience. When I have flown domestically, every single flight was on time or early and everything went smoothly. When the thousands of people who have had good or great experiences with them becomes millions their old, bad reputation will become a distant memory IF they can keep it up. Old generations will pass and new generations of employees and customers will emerge and that is where their focus ought to be. They do not need a rebranding now, they just don’t. Keep the focus on improving the experience and people will come to appreciate United as they do Delta, maybe shoot for better- and then one day freshen up the livery.
To those here who work for United today: your good job is being felt, wether it’s on the phone, in the air on the app or in a new seat. Once the old boring interiors are updated that will be the best form of branding- not the dated globe on the tail.
I sure hope Oscar and Kirby don’t spend tens of millions of dollars on a new livery, instead spend it on the experience your fliers have. Spend it on your employees and on renovation and new aircraft and new routes. It seems like that’s what they are doing and if flying United from point A to Z is great, then they will reap the financial rewards.

Excellent well written and reasoned post. Thank you.

Jamake1

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Blankbarcode wrote:
irelayer wrote:
It's funny, the "exCO" "exUA" mentality is very much alive and well. I was not 4 weeks ago on a UA flight LAX-IAH and the DirectTV was spotty the whole flight. When this same thing happened on my GUM-HNL flight last year, I was given a URL to go to to get compensated. I asked an FA about it and she said "oh yeah, that's the way UA does it, we are a CO crew". Seriously 5+ years after a merger, and this stuff is still said indicates to me there is very little integration on the personal level.

-IR

This is especially noticeable and especially despicable thinking about how long it's been. Last time I flew United a technical issue with the IFE was blamed on the fact it was an ex-Continental airplane. Funny at the moment, but still weird to see so many years later.

You have to understand that within the Inflight Dividision at United, there has been no merger. It took six years to reach a joint contract. The contract was ratified (narrowly) based upon promises that the sCO/sUA F/A's would be fully integrated within 18 mos of date of signing. The company then postponed the integration date until October 2018.

Furthermore there is collective resentment that is very deep seeded. ULH routes that are being flown from sUA bases are being flown on CO metal. Very senior sUA F/A's at IAD, LAX, ORD, and SFO have been forced into domestic flying or worse...reserve...while very junior sCO F/A's are flying the company's most lucrative (for F/A pay purposes) routes such as SFO-TLV; SFO-SYD; and SFO-SIN. To be fair, the sCO F/A's in EWR & IAH have been dealt a similar fate, but the sUA side of Inflight has been disproportionately more impacted because the company opened 5 sCO crew bases at sUA hubs and just 2 sUA bases at sCO hubs. Also, the sUA group is much more senior relative to the sCO side. I'm not making excuses here...I'm merely trying to put a little color to why customers may feel a distinct divide with regard to the Inflight part of their experience.

Even so, we operate with the very same set of Policies & Procedures. Four weeks ago, the Inflight Division was just launching a new app for customer disservice issues, which now allows F/A's to handle service disruptions on the spot, in real time. The app may not have been up and running, however the F/A ought to have provided an inconvenience form or a URL address to resolve any IFE issues...regardless of which metal she was working on.

Frenchify

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 pm

But what about Rhapsody in Blue?

irelayer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
Blankbarcode wrote:
irelayer wrote:

-IR

You have to understand that within the Inflight Dividision at United, there has been no merger. It took six years to reach a joint contract. The contract was ratified (narrowly) based upon promises that the sCO/sUA F/A's would be fully integrated within 18 mos of date of signing. The company then postponed the integration date until October 2018.

Furthermore there is collective resentment that is very deep seeded. ULH routes that are being flown from sUA bases are being flown on CO metal. Very senior sUA F/A's at IAD, LAX, ORD, and SFO have been forced into domestic flying or worse...reserve...while very junior sCO F/A's are flying the company's most lucrative (for F/A pay purposes) routes such as SFO-TLV; SFO-SYD; and SFO-SIN. To be fair, the sCO F/A's in EWR & IAH have been dealt a similar fate, but the sUA side of Inflight has been disproportionately more impacted because the company opened 5 sCO crew bases at sUA hubs and just 2 sUA bases at sCO hubs. Also, the sUA group is much more senior relative to the sCO side. I'm not making excuses here...I'm merely trying to put a little color to why customers may feel a distinct divide with regard to the Inflight part of their experience.

Even so, we operate with the very same set of Policies & Procedures. Four weeks ago, the Inflight Division was just launching a new app for customer disservice issues, which now allows F/A's to handle service disruptions on the spot, in real time. The app may not have been up and running, however the F/A ought to have provided an inconvenience form or a URL address to resolve any IFE issues...regardless of which metal she was working on.

Thank you. I had absolutely no idea this was the case. This makes a lot of sense. That's what I was looking for from her, an inconvenience form. She said sCO doesn't do that when I mentioned that's the way it had been handled previously.

When do you think there will no longer be a serious, functional distinction between sCO and sUA?

-IR

-IR

irelayer

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 pm

VC10er wrote:

I think this is the problem. For me UA crews have always been unfriendly and standoffish, even in J. I've flown UA A LOT over the past 3 years, and I can tell you this is my impression. So let's count you as a positive, and count me as a slight negative (I agree with you that their overall service, timeliness, operational smoothness has been good to quite good). That's 2 people.

On WN, I'm almost universally astounded at how nice the overall crew is to me and how they are all smiling and "loose" and not at all standoffish. Maybe it's the corporate culture, maybe it's the shorter segments, maybe it's pay. Whatever it is, there is a distinct difference in my mind between UA and WN in terms of overall friendliness of the crews, gate agents, and ground staff. It'll take numerous very positive experiences to catch up to where WN is in my mind.

I agree, UA doesn't need a new livery at this point. What they need is to take steps to make their staff have a more positive vibe. Smile more. Be fun. Etc. I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this. And it DOES make a HUGE difference in what I think of the airline as a whole.

-IR

Boeing778X

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 am

exunited wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
They need to rebrand. The livery they wear is of a better airline from a better time.

Bring back the Tulip. They need a livery to match the service. Exunited will only have to complain about ex-CO employees about how they don't conform to the culture of indignity and disrespect.

Did UA fire you and that's why you went to AA? Really, hating on your old employer show indignity and disrespect.

How did this "UA as my former employer" thing start? Hell no! Since when?! UA wishes I was a former employee :roll: Just the thought of working for them makes me nauseous! A PR wreck! And if ever offered a job with UA or any subsidiary of theirs, I'd tell them they can go and pound dirt.

But back on topic. Does UA need a new livery? Yes...Yes they do. Desperately.

Jamake1 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Jamake1 wrote:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind against your former employer. You're obviously still emotionally charged over it, but I do take offense when you make comments demonizing the many of us at UA that call the best from within each time we go to work. There are many excellent flight attendants and other employees at s-UA.

The service level that you described you provide at AA...I've been providing that level of service...with passion...at s-UA for more than twenty years. So when you come on social media and repeatedly hurl insults at and berate the s-UA folks, it's offensive. And when you say that keeping the globe on the tail is an insult to the s-CO crowd, you insult some of the excellent, empathetic, and very hard working men & women at UA...many of whom were hired AFTER the corporate merger.

Your personal upset with UA bleeds sideways into just about every posting you post here and it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. Nor is it productive. I am making a request request that you refrain from making any further counter productive postings with regard to this specific topic. Your unresolved anger isn't relevant to the discourse. Thank you.

The amount of damage UA has done to it's PR and image over the last several years is staggering, and I shouldn't dislike UA? No. I think I do. The culture is vastly split. Out on the line, I meet plenty of pmCO crews, mainline and Expressjet, with the same mindset as me. Why is it that CO crews are kind and fun to be around and UA crews are rude and snobby? Seems cultural, and I needn't look further than some of the pmUA crowd on here, how they constantly berate their peers.

UA embodies everything wrong with flying!

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 am

Boeing778X wrote:
exunited wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:

How did this "UA as my former employer" thing start? Hell no! Since when?! UA wishes I was a former employee :roll: Just the thought of working for them makes me nauseous! A PR wreck! And if ever offered a job with UA or any subsidiary of theirs, I'd tell them they can go and pound dirt.

Jamake1 wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:

The amount of damage UA has done to it's PR and image over the last several years is staggering, and I shouldn't dislike UA? No. I think I do. The culture is vastly split. Out on the line, I meet plenty of pmCO crews, mainline and Expressjet, with the same mindset as me. Why is it that CO crews are kind and fun to be around and UA crews are rude and snobby? Seems cultural, and I needn't look further than some of the pmUA crowd on here, how they constantly berate their peers.

What everyone, including myself, doesn't realize is your personal angst for United; which is more befuddling since you don't have a personal connection to them as you pointed out.

I've witnessed the UA merger and went through it. My parents are sCO. They are currently split not by divorce but by location because of UA. UA gave me my fiercest job interview ever. UA put both of my parents through psychological hell because of the limbo of my mom's job in the beginning of the merger and now where they will live because of my dad's job here on the tail end of the merger; all of that affects my future because as a college grad as of only 2 months ago I still rely on them because I don't know what I will do on December 9th, the day after my internship ends. I witnessed front line employees who became close family friends (some who were there 20+ years) call Jeff Smisek the "next Frank Lorenzo" during my first job at IAH. I saw the backlash over sUA employees losing the Tulip. In the past 7 years, where UA was and has come to today is nothing short of extremely impressive and a miracle. I noticed sUA and sCO crews and gate agents going from totally depressed/pissed off, to loving life again and every UA flight I've had in at least the past 3 years never didn't have a smiling crew member. I've witnessed the merger as a dependent, vendor, passenger, and through my parents eyes. Say what you want but every single United Airlines employee today has gone through loads of bullshit and the fact they still go to work with a smile on their face and (more recently) with pride in their jobs is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life so far.

As someone in the industry, it is an unwritten rule that you are supposed to maintain an underlying respect for everyone else in it.
When the times are bad, you will all suffer together (9/11 for example). When times are great, you all bask in the glory (recent economic upturn and massive expansion post-merger).

Watch this video. It's a great one. I make my bed every morning as a result. If you don't to watch the whole thing, skip to 4:49 and pay particular attention to the phrase uttered at 5:14. Every United employee has felt the same sentiment you do now, about 5 years ago, and got over it. And they have a lot more staked in the company than you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OoCaGsz94&t=2s

The mic has been dropped and I'm out of this thread.

Boeing778X

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
exunited wrote:

Jamake1 wrote:

What everyone, including myself, doesn't realize is your personal angst for United; which is more befuddling since you don't have a personal connection to them as you pointed out.

I've witnessed the UA merger and went through it. My parents are sCO. They are currently split not by divorce but by location because of UA. UA gave me my fiercest job interview ever. UA put both of my parents through psychological hell because of the limbo of my mom's job in the beginning of the merger and now where they will live because of my dad's job here on the tail end of the merger; all of that affects my future because as a college grad as of only 2 months ago I still rely on them because I don't know what I will do on December 9th, the day after my internship ends. I witnessed front line employees who became close family friends (some who were there 20+ years) call Jeff Smisek the "next Frank Lorenzo" during my first job at IAH. I saw the backlash over sUA employees losing the Tulip. In the past 7 years, where UA was and has come to today is nothing short of extremely impressive and a miracle. I noticed sUA and sCO crews and gate agents going from totally depressed/pissed off, to loving life again and every UA flight I've had in at least the past 3 years never didn't have a smiling crew member. I've witnessed the merger as a dependent, vendor, passenger, and through my parents eyes. Say what you want but every single United Airlines employee today has gone through loads of bullshit and the fact they still go to work with a smile on their face and (more recently) with pride in their jobs is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in my life so far.

As someone in the industry, it is an unwritten rule that you are supposed to maintain an underlying respect for everyone else in it.
When the times are bad, you will all suffer together (9/11 for example). When times are great, you all bask in the glory (recent economic upturn and massive expansion post-merger).

Watch this video. It's a great one. I make my bed every morning as a result. If you don't to watch the whole thing, skip to 4:49 and pay particular attention to the phrase uttered at 5:14. Every United employee has felt the same sentiment you do now, about 5 years ago, and got over it. And they have a lot more staked in the company than you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OoCaGsz94&t=2s

The mic has been dropped and I'm out of this thread.

I never had the honor to work for CO, so I cannot possibly know the horrors of the merger that you and yours went through. While it's nice to know some employees are becoming just dandy and prideful in their work, it cannot change my experiences with the airline, the final straw being last year, resulting in me swearing "Never Again."

Don't get me wrong, I will always respect the employees of UA and other carriers, especially my counterparts, as we usually give them rides from point to point.

It will not keep me from hating UA as a company, and if that offends some people, SO BE IT. I too take pride in my work, my service, and my willingness to help others, and my peers contribute. I believe good service is essential, and I hope that UA passengers see how we treat others and become AA passengers.

But I will watch your clip. Perhaps I can be enlightened a bit. Thanks :)

evank516

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:28 pm

NYPECO wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Why? Delta's old widget logo had it on the tail and fuselage.

CarlosSi

Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm

JAL and Frontier both brought back their... identities (more JAL than Frontier; I have always identified Frontier with the animals) after dropping them.

The tulip /could/ be brought back, but on the other hand (this goes towards JAL and Frontier) it seems like doing so would be living in the past, unless they /really/ modernized the logo to look less like it did in the 70-00s. It doesn't have to be the exact same logo. Maybe even a little bit of tweaking would suffice, or rather than a tulip, bring out a shield into the branding as a slight nod to the old logo.

I actually never did mind the Continental logo; I always thought of "globe" when I thought of "continents", it just fits the name. I eventually grew more sour on the post-merger branding however; the globe just doesn't say "united", and the branding on the planes is just a hodge-podge, temporary-looking livery that doesn't quite suggest the two brands ever merged into one, but remained as two separate entities under one name.

I made this myself awhile back. It still looks jumbled, but the globe is gone. I think a better livery would've been to work with the 2004 livery and add some gold on there.

Boeing778X

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:37 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
JAL and Frontier both brought back their... identities (more JAL than Frontier; I have always identified Frontier with the animals) after dropping them.

The tulip /could/ be brought back, but on the other hand (this goes towards JAL and Frontier) it seems like doing so would be living in the past, unless they /really/ modernized the logo to look less like it did in the 70-00s. It doesn't have to be the exact same logo. Maybe even a little bit of tweaking would suffice, or rather than a tulip, bring out a shield into the branding as a slight nod to the old logo.

I actually never did mind the Continental logo; I always thought of "globe" when I thought of "continents", it just fits the name. I eventually grew more sour on the post-merger branding however; the globe just doesn't say "united", and the branding on the planes is just a hodge-podge, temporary-looking livery that doesn't quite suggest the two brands ever merged into one, but remained as two separate entities under one name.

I made this myself awhile back. It still looks jumbled, but the globe is gone. I think a better livery would've been to work with the 2004 livery and add some gold on there.

Looks like some thought went into it.

But obviously, the "Blue Rising" version is better. The UA tail and CO fuselage livery DO NOT mix well, I'm afraid.

CarlosSi

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Boeing778X wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

But obviously, the "Blue Rising" version is better. The UA tail and CO fuselage livery DO NOT mix well, I'm afraid.

I think it's the belly color; white goes well with everything, but the gray looks odd with the blue tail. I'll experiment with a blue belly and a thicker gold chest line. Not that United will consider using it :roll:

Boeing778X

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:42 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

I think it's the belly color; white goes well with everything, but the gray looks odd with the blue tail. I'll experiment with a blue belly and a thicker gold chest line. Not that United will consider using it :roll:

No, they probably wouldn't, and I'm inclined to believe they won't use gold next time.

Boeing778X

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 am

Here are the oodles of other concepts out there...

FlyHappy

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes, a re-branding could do them some good. Not the Tulip.

I propose:

Yes - I know they don't own the name....

NYPECO

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:21 pm

evank516 wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
Boeing778X wrote:
Here's a good livery.

Why? Delta's old widget logo had it on the tail and fuselage.

Well that's just my opinion of course, but I don't think it looks good to repeat the same thing on the tail, fuselage, and winglets.