Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KentB27

Re: Should United bring back the Tulip?

Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:25 am

Am I the only person who really enjoys the golden globe and will be sad to see it go?

FlyHappy

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

KentB27 wrote:
Am I the only person who really enjoys the golden globe and will be sad to see it go?

Yes. Yes you are :)
The Globe works for the name "Continental". It just doesn't work with "United", IMO.
Both should go, for a clean slate.

spinotter

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm

KentB27 wrote:

No, you are not. I recently traveled on United and I really enjoyed the sight of all those gold spans and white lines on the blue background at EWR, both day and night. It seems almost to be a.net wisdom that the globe logo is horrible. I like it. And I like the idea of CO logo and UA name.

VC10er

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 am

Good gosh, a new livery is a dire need at United right now? REALLY???
I’ve been in the branding business for 30 years, 24 with one of the world’s largest and most pioneering of branding agencies (and one that specializes in airline liveries btw) and now I own my own agency...We would tell United if they came to us “too soon” but we can do a better job branding secondary applications. It would be the biggest waste of a huge sum of time and money when they have billions of dollars needing to be spent on making the airline a rock solid good airline (Polaris refits, aircraft and employee morale). Take their eye off that ball to design a new livery when I guarantee you 99% of the flying
public don’t mind it as is. Not a good strategy.
I cannot tell you how many times we were hired to rebrand a company to basically FOOL consumers into thinking everything is new and great. It is a marketing catastrophe every time that is done.
Fix the airline, fix the pizza, fix the hotel experience not the the “logo” if the aforementioned sucks. Once the airline is great, once the pizza is fabulous, once the hotel chain rocks...yes, then go tell the world via new branding (livery).
United is doing an impressive job so far, IMHO, although they should move faster with the renovations and refits, but they are finding their mojo. I would be thrilled to redesign their livery in 3-5 years.
As for the tulip, I’d design a scarf and tie with both the tulip and meatball pattern as a wink to the airline’s robust past, the good, bad and ugly, both airlines were iconic regardless.

jworks158

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 am

Boeing778X wrote:
Here are the oodles of other concepts out there...

I think these two have some good potential

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 am

VC10er wrote:

After the year United had (great profit, excellent foundation for amazing expansion, over the worst of the worst airline PR blunder in recent history, last of the work group integration happening), could you see this year as the time they announce a rebrand? Or at least before 2020? They are on the upswing and times are good.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am

CarlosSi wrote:
JAL and Frontier both brought back their... identities (more JAL than Frontier; I have always identified Frontier with the animals) after dropping them.

The tulip /could/ be brought back, but on the other hand (this goes towards JAL and Frontier) it seems like doing so would be living in the past, unless they /really/ modernized the logo to look less like it did in the 70-00s. It doesn't have to be the exact same logo. Maybe even a little bit of tweaking would suffice, or rather than a tulip, bring out a shield into the branding as a slight nod to the old logo.

I actually never did mind the Continental logo; I always thought of "globe" when I thought of "continents", it just fits the name. I eventually grew more sour on the post-merger branding however; the globe just doesn't say "united", and the branding on the planes is just a hodge-podge, temporary-looking livery that doesn't quite suggest the two brands ever merged into one, but remained as two separate entities under one name.

I made this myself awhile back. It still looks jumbled, but the globe is gone. I think a better livery would've been to work with the 2004 livery and add some gold on there.

I actually thought the superimposed PMUA tulip modified to be "Continental gold" on a "Continental blue" field on the tail would've looked ok. And this is coming from a globe guy.

Themotionman
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:27 am

I think the time for a United/Continental mashup livery is gone. One of the main reasons for this rebrand is to signify "The New Spirit of United", so It would be daft to reintroduce something that says "The Old United". Because for many (not including me), the old United brings back bad memories of tired cabins and poor service. Something the new United are trying to shake off. If United were reintroduce something old then they have to make it nostalgic, taking United back to when they were good... before the 2000s, before 9/11, before bankruptcy.

BWIAirport

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:59 pm

I put together a brand refresh/throwback combo using elements of old UA and CO here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1384771

VC10er

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 pm

jayunited wrote:
Themotionman wrote:
Does anybody think that United would be better off bringing back the tulip? After all that has happened to United in last few years with leggings-gate and the Dr Dao incident do you not think that the management should distance the brand from those bad PR moments. I think something similar to the 'rising blue' livery used before the merger. That would look much better than the 'bingo cage/death star' that screams Continental every time I see it. United needs to show to their customers that they are actually making a change, so a change in branding would compliment the "New Spirit of United" very well indeed. It would be interesting to know everyone's thoughts...

Really?? After all the threads we have had on this divisive topic you bring it up again.

First of all the leggings issue was almost immediately squashed once it was made public that the customers involved were not paying customers instead children of employees and UA has every right to dictate what people can where when you are traveling on employee passes. Also for the record that rule on leggings as far as I know still hasn't changed. As far as Dr Dao UA screwed up in the beginning by blaming Dr Dao but in the end stepped up to the plate and took full responsibility for the incident. UA has also implemented quite a few changes to make sure it never happens again the changes apply to mainline and also express so express carriers can no longer book crew members last minute on flights that are full. Dead head crew member must be booked at least 60 minutes prior to departure for both mainline and express. UA also has significantly reduce the number of overbookings. This pass summer (2017) UA recorded the lowest number of overbooking since the merger. In addition UA has greatly increase the amount of compensation a passenger receives if they are bumped off their scheduled flight. We have rolled out the bid system that will prompt passengers when checking-in on a oversold flight to input a price they would be willing to take if the airline needs their seat so in essence the passenger chooses their own compensation and should the oversold situation continue gate agents will choose passengers based on their compensation bid. UA has launched a creative solutions team that is designed to help front line employee come up with creative solutions to deal with problems on the ground. Should a problem arise in the air FA's now have the ability to offer compensation immediately using their hand held devises so customer no longer have to wait till the flight lands to call customer resolution center, the FA's can take care of the compensation in the air on the spot. There are a host of other changes that UA has made to address a lot of the bad PR moments some are public knowledge others are not. The final change that is public knowledge is police are not to be call to an aircraft except in situations where safety and/or security is threatened.

I said all of that to say this many UA employees both front line and those behind the scenes have worked really hard to move this airline past those events that you referenced. We work really hard to make sure all customers have a pleasant experience when traveling with us, our on-time performance is higher than it has ever been since the merger. Our mishandled bag per passenger ratio is at the lowest it has ever been in the history of both UA and CO, meaning meaning more bags are arriving at the final destination with the customer than ever before thanks to all the hard work our ramp service department does day in and day out. Our completion factor is up even with all the cancelations that Harvey, Irma and Maria have caused UA's completion factor is at its highest levels since the merger. It is changes like these that will help UA distance itself from the bad PR moments of its past. Going back to the tulip is a step in the wrong direction and this is coming from someone with 21 years with UA who was a sUA employee who disliked the globe for a time, but has since realized we are all one United family. The truth is customers don't care what logo is on the tail of the airplane they just want you to deliver a great customer experience from check-in to baggage claim. If we want customer to see the new spirit of United then we must show them it one day at at time, one flight at a time, one customer at a time. Leave the globe on the tail and lets continue to improve our customer experience it is the only way United can move forward.

Jayunited,
First I want to applaud your post. You’ve done a great job at identifying then dispelling many of the issues some people LIVE to complain about.
I fly United very, very often, both domestic and internationally and it’s the best it’s ever been thanks to you and all the people at United like you. So a very big THANK YOU for caring about me and you should know I feel every time I fly UA. And no matter where a customer facing United employee hails from originally.
I love the tulip so much. And it was designed by my late hero and friend’s arch enemy...I worked for Walter Landor and knew him well. The “Flying U” is one of the best logo/symbols mankind ever designed. I own many things with the tulip to remember her by: 2 baseball hats, 2 pins, a vintage 1970’s shoulder bag, and an expensive die cast model 747-200 with full Bass livery on my desk.
But like Studio 54, PanAm, Leonard Nimoy and VARIG...it’s gone and that’s life.

I firmly believe that United will “earn” a new gorgeous livery when the time is right. When United is considered one of the best, when most or all Polaris installed, 787Js, A350s arrive and Polaris lounges at each hub. Then when that enormously expensive change starts paying off, top it off with a fresh expression of United...one of America’s greatest iconic brands.

TonyBurr

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 am

Could you please tell me how "bringing back the Tulip" would make ANY difference in the airline, management, employees, etc.? You speak of bad incidents that have occurred. Are you inferring that if the Tulip was on the tail these things would not happen?

I would appreciate a further explanation of what difference a Tulip would make?

jetmatt777

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Don't worry the tulip is gone. The globe will remain!

flyingclrs727

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:06 am

I think it's too soon after the merger to consider another livery change. Have they even gotten all the labor contracts onto one pool yet? I would expect United to tip toe around around this issue for quite some time before considering a livery change.

aemoreira1981

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:20 am

As a retro livery, possibly on a Boeing 737-900ER, to protect the trademark.

VC10er

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 am

I’m sure they are legally protecting both names and all tradedress they want or need to. It doesn’t need to live on an aircraft for that, just something where business is done using both, crossing state lines. If once a year they feature an old photograph or something similar printed in Hemispheres, or the online store sells both the tulip and meatball stuff (among other old airlines that once became part of the United we know today) memorabilia on the online United Shop. That’s literally enough to keep the “use it or lose it” law to come into play- and I “think” it’s just once every 3 years.

United has some very big fish to fry first:
# 1: Restore and surpass its current reputation
By:
- fixing contracts
- continue great performance
- continue to provide superior customer service
- Polaris-ization across fleet and lounges
- add W
- improve p.s. (or go back to that name or dump “coast”)
- continue to build domestic and international destinations
THEN NEW LIVERY TO TELL THE WORLD “WELCOME TO THE NEW, AND BEST, UNITED”

And i would bet my 401k that the new livery will be a modified globe themed design- already too much is dedicated to the globe. And I also would bet they have testeded it exhaustively with consumers and business elites and I bet the current livery scores “well enough” not to make it an emergency

TWA772LR

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:41 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
As a retro livery, possibly on a Boeing 737-900ER, to protect the trademark.

It'd be pretty cool to see a Battleship 739ER.