Rose777
Topic Author

What do you think is not right/needs improving in airline policies?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am

Sorry that long title but it tells everything. ;-) is there anything that makes you annoyed about how airlines act or do not act? Any particular airline for example, and why?
I am doing a study about this and would be nice to have some different opinions in it, too.
-rose

IPFreely

Re: What do you think is not right/needs improving in airline policies?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Are you talking about policies for employees or policies for passengers?

Rose777
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Politics for passengers! Thanks, I forgot to mention that.

evank516

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

The airlines' hands off approach to Weather/ATC delays is a huge issue for me. I understand that they can't control the weather or ATC Decisions, but when it boils down to it they should still do more for pax, especially if they are stranded overnight.

FriscoHeavy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 pm

That only people who are blind or physically handicapped are allowed to bring on a service animal. It cannot be anything but a dog and emotional support does not constitute needing an animal.
Donald J Trump - MAGA

IPFreely

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Airlines could start by enforcing their policies regarding grossly obese passengers 100% of the time, and the policies should be far tougher than they are today. Essentially anyone who is so fat they cannot be completely contained in one seat should be required to buy two seats with no exceptions. Some type of body caliper at the check in or gate area needs to be used. The seat belt extender should also be an automatic qualifier — anyone too huge to be contained by a standard seat belt should be forced to buy two seats if they’re allowed to travel at all.

FlyHappy

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Airlines could start by enforcing their policies regarding grossly obese passengers 100% of the time, and the policies should be far tougher than they are today. Essentially anyone who is so fat they cannot be completely contained in one seat should be required to buy two seats with no exceptions. Some type of body caliper at the check in or gate area needs to be used. The seat belt extender should also be an automatic qualifier — anyone too huge to be contained by a standard seat belt should be forced to buy two seats if they’re allowed to travel at all.

OMG. "body caliper" totally made me laugh.
I don't disagree... but .... aint, never, ever, ever gonna happen.

In that spirit, I think all pax should be weighed (including all their bags) at check in. Pay by weight above a certain minimum ;)

IPFreely

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 pm

If people don't like the body caliper airlines could start with a mock emergency exit -- just steel rectangle -- at the check in or gate area, or even at security checkpoints. Anyone who is questionable would be asked to pass thru the exit. Anyone who can't do it in a reasonable amount of time or who can't get through without another person pushing or pulling, gets denied boarding.

FlyHappy

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 am

IPFreely wrote:
If people don't like the body caliper airlines could start with a mock emergency exit -- just steel rectangle -- at the check in or gate area, or even at security checkpoints. Anyone who is questionable would be asked to pass thru the exit. Anyone who can't do it in a reasonable amount of time or who can't get through without another person pushing or pulling, gets denied boarding.

oh no , no - don't run away from the caliper. Its just too good.
I insist that it be "manned" by someone obviously anorexic; please.

VapourTrails

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
That only people who are blind or physically handicapped are allowed to bring on a service animal. It cannot be anything but a dog and emotional support does not constitute needing an animal.

Yes, definitely agree with this one.

IPFreely wrote:

IPFreely wrote:
Essentially anyone who is so fat they cannot be completely contained in one seat should be required to buy two seats with no exceptions. The seat belt extender should also be an automatic qualifier — anyone too huge to be contained by a standard seat belt should be forced to buy two seats if they’re allowed to travel at all.

Yes, I agree, people who are wide should pay something extra like a surcharge if they have trouble fitting into a standard seat, or are encroaching on other pax who have paid for their seat - or upgrade. I agree with the above mention of the emergency exit test at check in. It is important when it comes to an emergency evacuation basically, that people 'fit' on aircraft.

Airlines should be tougher on the 'in case of an emergency all hand luggage must be left behind on the aircraft'. Social media has shown that too many pax are taking their belongings with them, and I mean bags, not just a phone and wallet on their person. :sarcastic:

People should be more transparent or required to inform the airline if they have an existing medical condition. It seems like their are more medical diversions nowadays? I could be wrong on this one, but it is a good idea anyway IMHO.
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden

CarlosSi

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 am

I think airlines need to be more "transfarent" ;) .

Baggage fees; do they need to be so high at $25 each way for most carriers and will they likely go up to the point where they are more expensive than the fare itself (probably not unless the trip is really short or the route is very competitive)? I'm afraid if they got rid of them or lowered them they'd just raise the base fare by that amount for everyone, bag or no bag, so the "paying what you get for" mentality would be hurt here.

VapourTrails wrote:
Yes, I agree, people who are wide should pay something extra like a surcharge if they have trouble fitting into a standard seat, or are encroaching on other pax who have paid for their seat - or upgrade. I agree with the above mention of the emergency exit test at check in. It is important when it comes to an emergency evacuation basically, that people 'fit' on aircraft.

Airlines should be tougher on the 'in case of an emergency all hand luggage must be left behind on the aircraft'. Social media has shown that too many pax are taking their belongings with them, and I mean bags, not just a phone and wallet on their person. :sarcastic:

People should be more transparent or required to inform the airline if they have an existing medical condition. It seems like their are more medical diversions nowadays? I could be wrong on this one, but it is a good idea anyway IMHO.

I think to avoid fat-shaming or being too ashamed to inform people, perhaps ask during booking if they are over a certain weight or width so that they won't have to go up to them and say "you're too big!"

VapourTrails

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:56 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Baggage fees; do they need to be so high at $25 each way for most carriers and will they likely go up to the point where they are more expensive than the fare itself (probably not unless the trip is really short or the route is very competitive)? I'm afraid if they got rid of them or lowered them they'd just raise the base fare by that amount for everyone, bag or no bag, so the "paying what you get for" mentality would be hurt here.

I think to avoid fat-shaming or being too ashamed to inform people, perhaps ask during booking if they are over a certain weight or width so that they won't have to go up to them and say "you're too big!"

Yes, you are right! As long as they are honest about their weight or girth at the time of booking as it is all online and self-service these days.

In regard to the baggage fees, I am just about to book my first LCC flight in over ten years! - that has been mostly due to lack of choice on my usual routes. I've read through the self-service online booking process and their are tiers of baggage weight and associated charges. I am used to paying a flat fare for a seat and checked in baggage with QF. It seems very involved but I am determined to see it through. It'll be interesting to compare the airlines, on the same route. I think that pax like the separate baggage fees as it is fair for people who only travel with hand luggage (which is not me though). The thing about this is that people try to bring a lot in their carry on as seen in recent years. You are right in saying they could get rid of the baggage fee or absorb it somewhere else, that is exactly what they would do for sure!
Time now to spread your wings, to take to flight, the life endeavour - Savage Garden