Osiris
Topic Author

Best way to spend 150k Avois?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:02 am

So I've got around 150k Avios in my BA Exec Club account and wanted to check what would be the wisest way to use them.

I'm London based and not really interested in using them for Club Europe.

Ideally I'd use them for a long haul upgrade to PE or even Business. Not overly bothered in using them to get a very cheap Y flight.

Can I use Avios on AA services or am I limited to BA?

n729pa

Re: Best way to spend 150k Avois?

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:45 am

I don't use or have Avios points myself but miles with another OW carrier. So not 100% clear on what Avios rules are.

Defiantly don't use them in a European flight. They are relatively cheap enough in the first place so you won't get value for money/points. Its better to buy a European ticket outright.

I've got a load of QF points that I'm planning to use on a first class return to Australia or a business class round the world. Subject to what your plans are see if you could put them towards an upgrade long haul for example and fly a level or two above your normal level or use them as part payment on a long haul trip perhaps to somewhere you really want to go but perhaps couldn't afford it... say for example a trip to Sydney or Hong Kong or somewhere you wouldnt go perhaps.

jumpjets

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am

I too collect Avios points but because you have to pay the flight taxes in cash even if you pay for the actual flight in points I don't find them a good value way to buy flights.

I tend to use my points to get a reduction in the air fare rather than an outright Avios purchase or use them to pay for hotels once I get to my destination - I find pound for pound you get more value for your points that way.

According to the Avios website you can only spend the points on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and flybe. There is no mention of AA - but I wonder if flights covered by the BA/AA transatlantic JV might be classed as BA flights.

2Holer4Longhaul

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:56 pm

I heard Avios get a good rate for domestic US flights (on AA). Not sure how TATL flights are.

As for Club Europe, it's almost all Eurobusiness, which means it sucks.
A junkie for A340s, A380s, and of course Her Majesty the Boeing 747. I wish they were financially viable, but it is not to be.

theobcman

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Agreed that Club Europe is really a waste but there are a few exceptions :
BA 777 LHR-MAD-LHR going to B789 soon.
IB A346/A330 MAD-LHR-MAD.
AY A350 HEL-LHR-HEL.
LA B789 MAD-FRA-MAD.

These can all be booked with BA/Avios. I’ve done them all in J & loved everyone.

A great way to try long haul aircraft & J cabins for not a lot. Tie them in with a weekend break in Madrid or Helsinki ..... both lovely places.

bananaboy

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Short haul redemption on British Airways can be excellent value in both economy and (particularly) Club Europe as the taxes, charges and fees are capped. All depends on what the cash price is of the flight you want and if the flexibility of the Avios ticket is worth something to you over the (likely) more restricted cash ticket.

Long haul on BA in world traveller has become even worse value (generally) as I was reading how their cash charges have crept up over the past year. A great bargain sadly no longer available was AB as their taxes were incredibly low..in the region of £20 for a business class redemption from NYC to Germany if I'm not mistaken.

If you don't have an AMEX 2 for 1 voucher, or don't need two seats, the best value per point may be on EI or IB. There are some tricks that'll help you save. I would recommend that you have a look at http://www.headforpoints.com - some excellent Avios advice on there with a focus particularly on the UK based traveller.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

vhtje

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:26 pm

I use them on domestic AA and QF flights within the United States and Australia respectively. They can be surprisingly good value, with taxes and fees that are much, much lower than ex-UK flights. For example, I just did a quick check on a domestic sector in Australia - for 9,000 Avios and a measly £12.50 I can go SYD > BNE in J. An it is a proper Business Class seat, too, not the stupid 29" Club Europe offering. It is 4,500 Avios and the same price for an Economy ticket.

Domestic US flights are even cheaper - ORD to SFO is 20,000 Avios in Business (10,000 in Economy) and a tiny £4.20! Transcontinental JFK to SFO is 12,500 in Y, 37,200 in J, and 50,000 for F - and all three classes only charge £4.20.

The problem with this suggestion is, of course, you need to be in Australia or the United States.

I avoid ex-UK reward flights at all costs. The Taxes and Fees are killer and make the whole deal extremely very poor value - you can often pay not very much more that the reward fees and charges for a full ticket, and therefore be earning miles, not spending them.

I do use Avios to upgrade though. It is worth noting that in a very rare un-BA-like move - that actually, for once, advantages the customer - over the summer, BA liberalised the fare classes that may be upgraded. Previously, and stupidly, only full-or nearly full-fare ticket classes could be upgraded. However, now only the very cheapest O, G and Q fare classes cannot be upgraded.

See http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/08/29/what-ba-economy-tickets-can-be-upgraded-using-avios/ for more information about this change.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.