Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jteruel06
Topic Author

Buy Now, Pay Later for Flight Bookings?

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 am

I've been doing some reading lately and saw two airlines starting to offer buy, pay later options for travelers. Jetstar has partnered with Afterpay to offer Australian passengers to book and choose a payment plan. Etihad is also doing the same thing with a partnership with Payfort.

Would any of you would opt to pay for travels via installments after your trip? For those who are more into the business side of the airline industry, would this work for other airlines?

Articles:
(Jetstar/Afterpay) http://www.flightsinasia.com/articles/2712
(Etihad/Payfort) http://www.flightsinasia.com/articles/2752

brucetiki

Re: Buy Now, Pay Later for Flight Bookings?

Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:52 am

For me, I'd prefer to buy now and pay over a couple of months leading up to the flight than buy now, pay after the flight. I guess I can do the former with my credit card now as it is (pay it all on the card and slowly pay the card off). Providing the person doing it knows what the payments are and how they'll be deducted over time, it's can work. Where it'll fall is those that go 'Oh yay I can book a flight now and pay later' and forget/don't realise they eventually have to pay for the flight, which is really no different to interest free deals anywhere.

RyanairGuru

Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:46 pm

These offers aren't much more than a pay day loan shark. The idea is 'oh yes, I can't afford to go to xxx but this way I can pay it off when I have the money.'

I work for a travel agency that has been offering 'interest free' loans for years. This isn't a new thing, as much as individual airlines want to market it as such, and the only loser is the consumer. Everyone else either makes a commission on the loan or makes money on predatory interest rates.

FriscoHeavy

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:21 pm

If you have to finance a flight, you can't afford to be traveling. Stay home, get to work and start saving money.

B747forever

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
If you have to finance a flight, you can't afford to be traveling. Stay home, get to work and start saving money.

:checkmark:

That is why I avoid all kinds of financing when it comes to smaller purchases. Either you save up and have the means to buy it, or not.

11725Flyer

Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Heck, if I can pay later and avoid giving anyone my money up front, I'll take that deal. Just as long as there's no interest.