Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CarlosSi
Topic Author

Accelerated Flight Programs

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm

(not sure where to put)

I'm looking into one of those flight school programs that are aimed for people wanting to be airline pilots, such as ATP that gets you "from zero time to airline pilot", though I've heard crap reviews about them and was wondering if there were any better programs available?

I'm planning on getting my PPL first through my local flight school, so I can at least learn to fly the plane before going through a fast-paced environment.

a340crew

Re: Accelerated Flight Programs

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:26 am

Get your PPL at a local FBO, then go to ATP and do the IFR-CFI accelerated program. The goal is to get to 1500 hrs and a regional and for sure ATP will get you there the fastest, as they have it down to a science. Some regionals also offer tuition reimbursement for ATP flight school graduates so there is a chance you can get some of the money (not all of it!!!!) reimbursed.

Also I don't know where you are located but I highly recommend ATP in Phoenix-Mesa (KIWA). It is one of the larger locations, and has a good group of people out there.

CarlosSi
Topic Author

Re: Accelerated Flight Programs

Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:29 am

a340crew wrote:
Get your PPL at a local FBO, then go to ATP and do the IFR-CFI accelerated program. The goal is to get to 1500 hrs and a regional and for sure ATP will get you there the fastest, as they have it down to a science. Some regionals also offer tuition reimbursement for ATP flight school graduates so there is a chance you can get some of the money (not all of it!!!!) reimbursed.

Also I don't know where you are located but I highly recommend ATP in Phoenix-Mesa (KIWA). It is one of the larger locations, and has a good group of people out there.

Definitely getting my PPL at my FBO (got two hours of flight so far), I do agree that actually flying the plane and knowing all those procedures should be well-known before getting advanced and whatnot (thankfully my knowledge in aerospace and bazillion hours in FS9 have really helped me in those lessons).

Sadly I've realized I wouldn't be able to get the financing (the stupid school decided to make my life hard and ruin my credit by putting obstacles in front of me, also my dad...) and already have debt to my university, so I may have to go the long way.

Otherwise I'd look at Piedmont which is always advertising their program and offers.

I'll try to get a better job with my degree when/if I finish this semester (ASE engineering, but wait there's more), but unfortunately I've considered switching out of it three times because of how difficult, underinvested, and unpassionate I've been about it, so I have no relevant experience other than all the lab-work everyone has to do, so I'm basically screwed, but thankfully that's not something I want to do for a living, even if I feel like I need to to make life "easier". I was just never that bright at it, I've been a survivor, but that's it. Most people who told me to stay in engineering don't know that a degree is pretty useless without experience which I was never able/confident/invested in doing, and I didn't seriously learn that or believe that until the later years of my degree path.

Like the 797, it's a matter of "when", not "if", and that all depends on how fast I can pay for all of it. I appreciate the info.