Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83
Topic Author

Frequency vs mainline

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 am

I am always curious other people's preference on having mainline service with less frequency vs RJs with more frequency on a route. People seem to think having mainline is some kind of prestige. I personally am in the more frequency with less mainline camp as long as it is on a 700 or bigger. You still usually get the same amenities as a mainline (entertainment/wifi/multi class seating). I personally would rather fly in a E175 over a 737/319/320/321 any day. I like not having a middle seat person crammed in between you to deal with (or even worse, having to be that middle person).

Now 135/145/100/200s are a totally different story. I will do everything in my power to avoid a 135/145.

I just would rather have, lets say, 4x daily options on a RJ than just 2 mainline. I like having other options than just an early morning or evening flight.

This thread probably is aimed more at people that have home airports that aren't hubs (or that fly to non hubs often) but I am still sure anyone can throw in their 2 cents.

BENAir01

Re: Frequency vs mainline

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:57 am

I much prefer more frequency to mainline. There is something about flying an RJ that kind of excites me, maybe it's the fewer people on board or the cozy canon. So 4x flights on a CRJ-700 would be better then 1x on a 737.

CarlosSi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 am

On the other hand, flying e145s means you get an aisle all to yourself if you're in row A ;) .

The cabin's certainly wider, so the curvature of the walls and the height of the overhead bins will feel more spacious.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 am

CarlosSi wrote:
On the other hand, flying e145s means you get an aisle all to yourself if you're in row A ;) .

The cabin's certainly wider, so the curvature of the walls and the height of the overhead bins will feel more spacious.

I only have been on a 145 once and it was right after being on a wide body (I think it was an A330) so that probably didn't help its case. I think something about not being able to stand up straight on it bothered me. Plus it being a 2 hour flight (after taxiing for 45 minutes waiting to take off) did not help out my comfort. The single seat wouldn't be bad though. I had heard that because of the plane curve it isn't the best seat to be in. Maybe I heard wrong though.

CarlosSi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:42 am

Jshank83 wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

I only have been on a 145 once and it was right after being on a wide body (I think it was an A330) so that probably didn't help its case. I think something about not being able to stand up straight on it bothered me. Plus it being a 2 hour flight (after taxiing for 45 minutes waiting to take off) did not help out my comfort. The single seat wouldn't be bad though. I had heard that because of the plane curve it isn't the best seat to be in. Maybe I heard wrong though.

Oh sorry I meant to say that mainline have wider cabins (obvious point) than smaller aircraft, hence it feels more comfortable as opposed to having the cabin walls cave in on you.

Ehh I've been on an e145 and two saabs (both times on the single seat) and I say it's good having both a window and an aisle; it won't feel better on any window seat (due to the curvature)!

jetwet1

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:35 pm

It really comes down to which rj is being used, if it's a 200 I will take mainline every time (except in coach on UA's 737's) anything else, the rj is fine.

evank516

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:41 pm

I'll take mainline over frequency.

Yflyer

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm

It's not really an either/or thing for me -- there's kind of a happy medium at which point more frequency becomes overkill. Sure, if the choice is between 2x mainline or 4x RJ like in your example I'd prefer the 4x per day on the RJ. But for a bigger market where it might come down do 4x mainline or 8x RJ, I'd be perfectly happy with 4 mainline options.

UALFAson

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 pm

For me, it depends on the duration of the flight. For an hour-long BNA-ORD segment, smaller regional jets are annoying but no big deal. For a 2-3 hour BNA-NYC/BOS flight, I absolutely put a premium on comfort and prefer mainline over regional jet frequency...and spend my money accordingly. If I have to wake up an hour earlier, so be it.

pezzy669

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:57 pm

For me as long as a there is a good range of schedules through the day I am ok with either, my work travel gives me flexibility on times so I am fine as long as its not a case where the only departure is some ridiculously early or late time. Fortunately being ATL hub captive DL has great frequency on even some of the thinnest routes.

Now I will say except for the windows being far too low on CRJ's it is sometimes refreshing to fly the CRJ-200 to CRJ-900 as the reduced # of passengers makes for a better boarding and de-boarding process. I hate when I end up on 757-300.

11725Flyer

Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm firmly in the frequency camp, regardless of the plane. More flights helps in case of a cancellation.

910A

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Depends on the equipment, an E-170 series is just fine, other than that I prefer mainline as long as it isn't a ULCC..

Super80Fan

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:04 am

Definitely frequency, especially if everything doesn't go according to plan. However, I miss the days of lots of domestic widebody flying. I'll take a widebody over a A320/737 anyday of the week.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:22 am

Jshank83 wrote:
I am always curious other people's preference on having mainline service with less frequency vs RJs with more frequency on a route. People seem to think having mainline is some kind of prestige. I personally am in the more frequency with less mainline camp as long as it is on a 700 or bigger. You still usually get the same amenities as a mainline (entertainment/wifi/multi class seating). I personally would rather fly in a E175 over a 737/319/320/321 any day. I like not having a middle seat person crammed in between you to deal with (or even worse, having to be that middle person).

Now 135/145/100/200s are a totally different story. I will do everything in my power to avoid a 135/145.

I just would rather have, lets say, 4x daily options on a RJ than just 2 mainline. I like having other options than just an early morning or evening flight.

This thread probably is aimed more at people that have home airports that aren't hubs (or that fly to non hubs often) but I am still sure anyone can throw in their 2 cents.

Oh yes, frequency is always better. I'm happy with 737-800s and A330s for high frequency flights. ;) As for the flying pencils, we don't get those around here. It is A320, 737-800 or A330-200.

You know, you get 737s with IFE on every seat, mood lighting, real food. :)

BAINY3

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 pm

Almost all of my flying is leisure or VFR. I prefer mainline and always try to get on the biggest plane available and then build my schedule around that. Larger planes also tend to get priority during IRROPS.

kabq737

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:28 am

I value both however, I would probably prefer to have more frequent flights because long layovers waiting for the next flight suck. That is unless the RJ in question is a United Express CRJ700. I had a 3 hour flight on one of those and it was miserable due to the lack of seat padding. Probably doesn’t help that I had just hopped off of a 15 hour flight but either way the seats on the United Express CRJ700s are BAD.