Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CarlosSi
Topic Author

One wish.... What would you change about aviation?

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 am

If you could change anything in aviation, what would it be? (assuming it is not preventing 9/11 which I'm sure we'd all gladly use our wish for, right?)

Examples:
-757 never ended production/MAX happened and became a hit (let's get that one out of the way :roll: )
-Keep a merger from happening (I'm an MDD fan...)
-Free bags on Spirit (LOL!)
-Saved the cookie
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

aerorobnz

Re: One wish....

Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am

That Boeing never bought McDonnell Douglas and sold it and the MD95 and variants down the river to benefit the 737 which is by far less comfortable.

n729pa

Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:55 pm

That Concorde hadn't yet been retired.
When I would have liked to have flown on it years ago when I was a kid, I couldn't afford to. Now I can, I can't!

(I got my other one last week with Qantas announcing a return to SIN on the LHR-SYD route!)

DesertAir

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 pm

A few wishes:
Keep the 757 production.
Meals in economy class.

wa5

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 am

That the 747 continues flaying for another 50 years, thus bringing beauty in industrial design to a new generation.

brucetiki

Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:29 am

Seat back screens for Virgin Australia Boeing 737's. If it's good enough for their A330's it should be good enough for the 737's.
Some regular wide body domestic services from ADL (even if it's only 1-2 a day from Qantas/Virgin). Having 737's/A320's for nearly all domestic flights is a tad boring.

Coal

Re: One wish.... What would you change about aviation?

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 am

Mobile boarding passes for all flights.

afterburner

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 am

DesertAir wrote:
A few wishes:
Meals in economy class.

Many airlines still serve meals in economy class.

KGRB

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:00 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
That Boeing never bought McDonnell Douglas and sold it and the MD95 and variants down the river to benefit the 737 which is by far less comfortable.

I would've liked to see an alliance between MD and Airbus, in which the joint-venture marketed the MD-95-30 and -50 for the smaller end of the narrowbody market and the A320 series for the larger end. They could've used the Long Beach facility for the production of both models, in addition to MD's military aircraft. As part of the agreement of my proposed joint-venture, MD would've agreed to wind down MD-11 production and leave the widebody sector to Airbus.

george77300

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:53 am

Concorde Back. I would love to fly on it now. Couldn't afford it at the time. I can only dream.

N14AZ

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 am

Security checks back to the level of the - let's say - 80ies, definitely pre September-11-level...

Edit: ooops, I just saw this restriction in the thread openers question
CarlosSi wrote:
assuming it is not preventing 9/11

So I will modify my wish: standardized security checks all over the world. I hate having sometimes three different levels during one trip, e.g. in one case you have take off your shoes, belt, when changing plane suddenly it doesn't matter or vice versa (e.g. umbrella, there was a time when Chinese security staff asked you to take out umbrellas during security check or shoe shine, no issue in FRA, IST but a no-go in PEK...)
Last edited by N14AZ on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

N14AZ

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am

... double post ....please delete...

jumpjets

Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 am

Decent leg room in economy - if I can sit comfortably then all the other little gripes like paying for food etc pale into insignificance.

bunumuring

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey guys,
An easy one....
Open air observation/photography decks as the rule rather than the exception at airports worldwide...
Cheers,
Bunumuring
PS: I will second all comments about the Concorde - I cant believe now that I didn't try harder to fly on one! Aaaah the naivety of youth!

gtargui

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:41 am

Bring back Concorde and a reduction on stress. I wouldn't know where to start with reducing stress and I think it's impossible, but I'm always stress out over everything to do with flying besides actually being in the air. Even once I've boarded I'm still not 100% certain we aren't going to have to wait on the runway for two hours then find out our flight is cancelled.

bunumuring wrote:
Open air observation/photography decks

Good shout

Noshow

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:04 am

Primary Flight Displays and Navigation Displays on request on any IFE screen.

EricAY05

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:58 am

One wish: Flying is a special occasion and people dress nicely (not necessarily suits, but nice tidy clothes) for it and shower prior to leaving for the airport.

2Holer4Longhaul

Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:08 am

Less security theater, more efficient security.
Plainclothes security personnel, metal detectors, and questioning (like we have in TLV) work. Nudie scanners, pat-downs, and high-school dropouts in badges don't.

Noshow

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

Exactly. Check for the foes not for their bags.

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 am

DesertAir wrote:
A few wishes:
Keep the 757 production.
Meals in economy class.

I've always had reasonable meals in economy class whenever I've flown.

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
An easy one....
Open air observation/photography decks as the rule rather than the exception at airports worldwide...
Cheers,
Bunumuring
PS: I will second all comments about the Concorde - I cant believe now that I didn't try harder to fly on one! Aaaah the naivety of youth!

Yes, we need "Alliance" or a derivative of it to come along fast to replace Concorde! Preferably by next year. Every international flight for me (NZ excepted) takes way too long. I don't care what class I'm flying, I just don't want to be on a single plane for more than 13 hours.

Oh and another gripe, having to take out mobile phones, laptop computers out of bags and taking off belts and or shoes at security screenings. It is so maddening and time consuming.

Photography decks don't bother me so much, and besides, airports and authorities must maintain a level of "security" to reassure easily frightened tabloid newspaper reading passengers.

aeromoe

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:58 pm

Move those F-ing legroom-using IFE boxes from below the seat to somewhere the customer doesn't interact with them. In this day and age of micro-miniaturization I don't get why those things have to be so big, and placed where they are.

aeromoe

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 pm

gtargui wrote:
...going to have to wait on the runway for two hours then find out our flight is cancelled.

My response is completely tongue-in-cheek but true. Despite what the mass-media reports, NO PLANE is delayed "on the runway" for any length of time during your typical non-emergency delay. Runways are for takeoff and landing. There is plenty of other real estate at the airport for aircraft to wait out a delay. I really wish the mass media would get this one straight.

DDR

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Concorde still flying!

LoganTheBogan

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am

I would do anything to see Qantas, Jetstar, Air NZ and Virgin Australia operate the A350. There's something about the aircraft that would work with Australian/NZ liveries.

readytotaxi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:06 pm

EricAY05 wrote:
One wish: Flying is a special occasion and people dress nicely (not necessarily suits, but nice tidy clothes) for it and shower prior to leaving for the airport.

To go along with that, some good manners towards others. :checkmark:

golfradio

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:05 pm

1. Free seat selection (none of this $30 nonsense to be able to seat your 4yr old next to you).
2. Free checked bags (too many idiots bringing their over sized roller boards on to the plane).
3. 9 abreast seating. 10 abreast seating with 29" pitch is torture.

Braniff1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:26 pm

1) Make restrooms larger
2) Bring back Stewardess', get rid of all the old mean hags. Today they think their rule enforcers. Just serve the customers.
3) Seat that are comfortable
4 Seat with leg-room
5) Bring back Pan-Am
6) Shut down United & AA
7) Revive Herb Kelleher
8) Put all airlines under Herbs control.

masgniw

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:43 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
2) Bring back Stewardess', get rid of all the old mean hags. Today they think their rule enforcers. Just serve the customers.

Flight attendants are there for safety, not your viewing pleasure.

Braniff1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 pm

masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

The females I know that have flown for 30-35 years hate the public; many relish using their pseudo-power to make people uncomfortable. They get a trill out of being"in-charge." The only reason they still fly is for the free travel and a hoped for pension. Now you might try reading my post, I would like customer service from nice people; nothing states anything about viewing pleasure. I assume you're a FA from your inaccurate interpretation and response.

masgniw

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

The females I know that have flown for 30-35 years hate the public; many relish using their pseudo-power to make people uncomfortable. They get a trill out of being"in-charge." The only reason they still fly is for the free travel and a hoped for pension. Now you might try reading my post, I would like customer service from nice people; nothing states anything about viewing pleasure. I assume you're a FA from your inaccurate interpretation and response.

Inaccurate interpretation? Let's pull up the dictionary definition of hag.

"a witch, especially one in the form of an ugly old woman (often used as a term of disparagement for a woman)."

Braniff1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:09 pm

masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:

"a witch, especially one in the form of an ugly old woman (often used as a term of disparagement for a woman)."

Well, since you miss the point, let's play word games.
1) A hag is a wizened old woman, or a kind of fairy or goddess.
A fairy or goddess, doesn't sound like ugly.
2) An unattractive, middle-aged (or slightly older) woman. The term is commonly used to describe hysterical or ugly women in positions of power.
So you win here: an ugly older woman in position of power.
I still thing my point is about an ugly attitude, a lack of friendly service. If you wish to only see a pejorative word, that's fine.
Have a nice flight.

Braniff1

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:11 pm

masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:

2) An unattractive, middle-aged (or slightly older) woman. The term is commonly used to describe hysterical or ugly women in positions of power.
I still thing my point is about an ugly attitude, a lack of friendly service. If you wish to only see a pejorative word, that's fine.
Have a nice flight.

masgniw

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Braniff1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:

Have a nice flight.

You can't accuse me of "missing the point" when you're using words you literally do not understand. I've noticed people throw about this "word games" trope on the internet when you need to backpedal and redirect from what you have said. Sorta funny how that works, isn't it?

StrandedAtMKG

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:30 am

EricAY05 wrote:

My mother used to fly frequently when she worked for Dresser, and she ingrained this rule in me growing up: dress nicely when you fly. You really do get treated better if you make an effort to look like you deserve it. (Of course, she also taught me to dress nicely for the theater or going to decent restaurants. I sigh a little every time I see some trashy person walk into a nice restaurant in flip flops and/or shorts. Have some class, people.)

Braniff1

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:46 am

masgniw wrote:
Braniff1 wrote:
masgniw wrote:

Have a nice flight.

You can't accuse me of "missing the point" when you're using words you literally do not understand. I've noticed people throw about this "word games" trope on the internet when you need to backpedal and redirect from what you have said. Sorta funny how that works, isn't it?

So clue me in as to what exactly I "literally" don't understand. Also, where am I backpedaling or redirecting. I just love pseudo-intellectuals, they're fun to play with.

PPVLC

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am

Better leg room in Y.

evank516

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Bring back TWA
Reverse the WN/FL Merger
No checked bag fees

VapourTrails

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:21 am

PPVLC wrote:
Better leg room in Y.

For just one wish.. yes. Also further to this, make sure the seat backs are secure. Some seat backs seem to be in recline even when they are not, as if they need repairing. Had an experience where the seat back was too close to my face if I dared to move forward, and so it wasn't just the leg room in this instance. :relieved:

I don't have too much to be negative about in my flights really - IMHO domestic travel in Australia is fairly good and you do pay enough for it. It's more about the mass transportation nowadays and 'everyone' is flying so the whole cabin environment needs to be periodically reviewed for everyone's benefit and not to just squash as many people in for the $ - how cheap and LCC or ULCC can you go before it becomes so unpleasant. Twenty first century commercial flying.

bombayduck

Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Call this a bit tongue in cheek. Warp drive to visit the universe and other planets.