Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

grjplanes

Re: Have you already lost your time and/or money to just to fly on a specific aircraft?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am

To get a certain type for the first time yes...have booked SA Express specific for CR7, while other low-cost airlines on JNB-GRJ offered better fares...and lost sleeping time as it was earliest flight.
Many years ago did specific routings to get on 3 different prop-planes...booked Jetstream 41 on Origin Pacific HLZ-NSN, then on Air New Zealand NSN-WLG-HLZ...which was for SAAB340 and ATR72...unfortunately on the return HLZ was closed due to fog and we were put on to a usual 737-300 WLG-AKL...had to wait 3 years to get on ATR72, specially added a side-trip from MRU to get aircraft and exotic airport...went on MK ATR72 MRU-RRG (Rodrigues Island).
Also specially booked to visit a friend just to experience a Beech1900D on CemAir BFN-GRJ last year.
Probably did a few more.
For upcoming European trip in November booked BA 767 on ATH-LHR...767 keeps eluding me...hopefully it will be, while several better options available.
Also need to be back in Porto (OPO) to catch return TAAG flight to South Africa via LAD...so ended up booking LGW-MAD-OPO...just to get the CRK (CRJ1000) on MAD-OPO.

seahawk

Re: Have you already lost your time and/or money to just to fly on a specific aircraft?

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:02 pm

In the past, yes getting a DC-10 to the Canaries instead of the A320 or getting the 747-2 instead of the A310 to the USA, but today I am not doing this. Modern airliners are boring.

Airdolomiti

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Yes, I do that whenever possible. This includes picking a holiday destination based on the combination of airline and aircraft type that flies there, or deliberately choosing a connecting flight or a less convenient time of departure. This year, for instance, I spent a week in Barbados mainly because I wanted to log a flight on a Virgin Atlantic 747-400. The best part about it is that my girlfriend actively encourages this approach :)

I have also refused compensation offers for giving up my seat on an overbooked flight for the same reason. Last June, I was supposed to fly on a Swiss CS100 from Zurich to Berlin, but there was a last-minute equipment change to an A340-300 (!). I obviously had no intention of missing that opportunity, so I turned down the immediate €250 cash compensation and stayed on my originally booked flight.

Next up on my bucket list is a day trip to Bern and Zurich just so I can add the Dornier 328 and CS100 to my flight log...

res77W

Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I'll pay extra to grab a 757 out of MCI on DL. We used to see 757s from Delta and United when I was a kid, but we're still lucky to get a handful from Delta every day. I got on the former Soaring Spirit bird and pulled up to one of the Skyteam jets at MCI. What a sight, shame it was after midnight.

-Rowen

winterlight

Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Airdolomiti wrote:
I was supposed to fly on a Swiss CS100 from Zurich to Berlin, but there was a last-minute equipment change to an A340-300 (!)

Nice upgrade. If I had gone for an A340 I'd have got a CS1 !

evank516

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Yes, and not that long ago either. I was planning my first trip to Key West and had the choice between DL and AA. I insisted on flying mainline all the way through and wanted to experience that 73W landing on that 4801 foot runway, so while AA was cheaper I opted for DL instead. Not to mention I'd prefer to connect in ATL since I'm more familiar with the airport having flown into and out of MIA once in my entire life (about to be 2 in 2 weeks).

Danny319

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Yes, almost every time over the past few years when I fly the LHR - SIN route on SQ. I go out of my way to avoid the A380 by selecting the 777-300ER instead, even if that means a longer layover in SIN to meet my connecting flight. This is because I simply do not like the A380 and find it very uncomfortable to fly and sleep in, so I avoid it. My recent trip was a good example of this where from PEN to LHR I could have caught SQ322 but chose to wait longer for SQ306. I slept for 9 out of the 13 hr on that flight, so it was a good decision

MHG

Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 am

As I said earlier in this thread ...
I did it again last week.
Went on Sprint Air (P8/SRN) RDO (Radom, Poland) - LWO (Lviv, Ukraine) on one of their Saab 340´s (SP-KRC).
Saab 340´s are very rare in Europe now in general but in particular for passenger flights.
Afterwards I flew Motor Sich (M9/MSI) AN-24 (UR-47297) LWO - IEV (Kiev Zhulyiany).
I didn´t plan on flying the AN-24 but on the AN-140. So, my third attempt on flying the AN-140 failed as well ...
But checking afterwards I found out it´s a "new" (AN-24) frame for me and the oldest commercial aircraft in regular service I´ve ever been on so far (first flight january 28, 1971 as CCCP-47297).

jumpjets

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 am

On a small scale yes - usually when I can't get a direct flight to a destination and have to change somewhere the airline/type of aircraft play a part in the decision making.

eg Back in the day I flew LHR to HAN/SGN I flew SQ (a longer more expensive option) to catch their A380 and the 777-200 [non ER]; LHR to SCL took the LAN option via Madrid to get their 788 and on the way home delayed my connection at MAD to catch what I was expecting to be an IB A332 - but turned out to be A343.

Astrodyne

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I passed up a nonstop CLE-DFW flight on an AA S80, because I am actually sick of MD-80s/DC-9 derivatives.

I booked with UA instead, got put on a 3-hour ERJ flight from CLE-IAH (Which was delayed for an hour after they couldn't get the lav to work, and kept trying to convince people to cancel their travel plans on Christmas Eve), and got an A319 from IAH-DFW. My second Airbus flight ever. Maddog lovers of A.net, fly CLE-DFW. They're still chugging along. :biggrin: