Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AtomicGarden
Topic Author

Favourite/Best airline names

Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:23 am

So this other thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1369795 made me think of which airline names I like the most.

I love names which are actually acronyms but have become a name of its own. I'm talking about Qantas, Avianca, Varig, Sabena, even Conviasa. Hell, they are not even spelled in capital letters!

With so many country name + airlines/airways I also find it nice how they have become or have been the national carrier.

TWA772LR

Re: Favourite/Best airline names

Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:47 am

Continental and United are very good names (just the name, no underlying meaning).
Taken for face value, British Airways says "classy" to me along with the British (country, not airline) charm and hospitality.
Qantas sounds kinda high-tech, almost like a coding language.

PatrickZ80

Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:25 pm

Finnair is a funny one. Of course it stands for Finland, but Finn is also a first name so it could also mean the airline of Finn just like Ryanair could mean the airline of Ryan.

Didn't the word Garuda also mean something? Or was it an acronym?

HELyes

Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Finnair is a funny one. Of course it stands for Finland, but Finn is also a first name so it could also mean the airline of Finn just like Ryanair could mean the airline of Ryan.

Never thought that but yes Finn could be like Bjorn Kjos, founder of Norwegian ,) Finn/Finland doesn't come from the Finnish language actually, Finnish speakers call their country Suomi. The Swedish speaking Finns use the word Finland though.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Didn't the word Garuda also mean something? Or was it an acronym?

Garuda is the bird-like creature that appears in Indonesian (Hindu?) mythology

aeromoe

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Umm...by branding on the aircraft and in no specific order: United. American. Eastern. Alaska. Braniff. Pan American. Delta. Continental. Hughes Airwest. Hawaiian. And the list goes on...

J343

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 pm

I know it's boring but there's just something about Cathay Pacific. British Airways also a favourite of mine.

Cunard

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:13 pm

British Caledonian Airways will always be my all time favourite airline, a great name for a once great airline which also had a beautiful livery.

nadavatar64

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Vueling, Wizz Air, Avianca, TACA and all the Virgins:) .

fry530

Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 am

As mentioned above, Garuda Indonesia is great, since a Garuda is mythical creature that is a cross between a bird and a human. Seems fitting for an airline.

I always liked United Airlines as well. Seeing as how the advent of air travel unites people in a much more seamless way.

Some others are Aloha Air, since it fits an airline from Hawaii very well, Wizz Air, which is suitable for a silly LCC, even if it is quite ridiculous, and Lufthansa, since it is such fun to say, and feels so German as it should. On that note Edelweiss is nice too, given where the airline is from.