Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

LONG delays to get back "into UK", BA blame UK Border force.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:36 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41051140

"The airline is concerned that only a third of the 29 electronic passport gates are open at Heathrow Terminal 5.
BA says the gates shut prematurely at 23:00 while customers are still disembarking, causing huge queues."

The article states that BA and Border force have an aggreement to close the E-gates at 11pm, why not extend the agreement by 1 hour, or do BA not want to cover the cost.

n729pa

Re: LONG delays to get back "into UK", BA blame UK Border force.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I flew in on the QF1 Monday morning into T3, and the electronic gates were playing up, reading about 1 in 5 passports, the rest of us were sent to a queue with 2 officers on duty. When I flew out to SYD the previous week on the QF2, on arrival from my seat 86A and out of the exit was just under 35 mins. Coming back in, it was 45 mins, fortunately my bag was tagged priority so I was out within the hour.

The Border Control at LHR are a joke, absolute joke at times. I find it embarrassing too. They should have their picture on the terminal corridors like the Policeman, the Town Crier, the Actor from the Globe with their arms open wide "Welcome to the UK"....now I'm going to make you wait a while and be bloody minded.

I pass through LHR around 40+ times a year and often at the end of the day (20:00-22:00 hours), and 15 scanners and 1-5 will be open in a row so you can't tell me the other 10 are out of service. To balance the argument I have been through and out in minutes very quickly, but the majority of the time it is very poor and I'm not the only one that gets frustrated.

Aaarrrgghh this winds me up and gets me cross so! :)

Maybe we need Tesco's to run the Border Control, at least that way they'd open up another till....sorry I mean scanner

winterlight

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:35 pm

It's quicker to hide in the back of a lorry and re enter that way.

WWads

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:41 pm

Hilarious to think that US CBP might now be faster, with mobile passport and the rollout of kiosks at most major gateways.

I've been fortunate to have fast track the last few trips. Those lines have looked apocalyptic.

Markie73

Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 pm

I arrived in to Stansted on a evening flight from Palma after a short holiday a few days ago and even at 5.30pm there was huge ques for immigration and NONE of the e-gates was working add to that there was only three Border Control officers manually checking passports for both EU and non-EU nationals, by the time I exited the airport it was just gone 7pm.

ba319-131

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 pm

From what I understand, there needs to be a certain number of immigration offices/staff for the E gates, hence most of the time they are not fully open, very annoying when you arrive to see them closed.

Great idea but no thought into managing them.

OA260

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 pm

n729pa wrote:
The Border Control at LHR are a joke, absolute joke at times.

Certainly needs sorted out. Sometimes its a breeze and other times organised chaos. I think you need one staff member per 4 or 5 scanners so it all comes down to money and employing a few more staff at certain hours. Its not as if they cant predict peaks.

RyanairGuru

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 pm

WWads wrote:
Hilarious to think that US CBP might now be faster

It is. The USA is now much, much better than the UK IMHO.

n729pa

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:00 am

Haha....time to eat my words. Landed at T2 last night from ZRH straight off to immigration. ......there were no queues no hassle and it literally took me less than a minute from entering the area to getting out.

But it just goes to show location and timing is everything.

I hate AMS immigration. ..it's a XXXX hole which surprised me the first time. Seriously long queues no queue management, so queues get so long in this pokey corridor they start merging. No electronic gates. But then others like AMS so there must be other exit points. Its just I'm using the wrong one or something. Flying into CDG on the AF 787 twice now you get to immigration and the EU queues are very long and it takes almost half the flight time to get through (the non eu is even worse). The 787 flights land at a different terminal to the ordinary flights from LHR whether that makes a difference to which border control area you enter I don't know. But these kind of things seem very hit and miss where ever you are and the time of day.

But LHR can be annoying unnecessarily, it's in no why unique in my experience.