Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Wisdom from the skies (or trenches) - 20 years as a FF junkie

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:34 am

Dear all,

While I've been flying since infancy (I'm 46 now), the past 20 years have seen me in the air enough to earn lifetime Plat status UA. Though there are others with far deeper wisdom than I, I thought it would be helpful to share a few thoughts:

1) Your attitude makes a huge difference. So many complain ad nasueaum about lounge dragons, seat bangers, tired FA's, etc., I have found that a smile goes a long way. Take things in stride.

2) If someone else gets an upgrade and you don't, get over it. Life is too short.

3) Remember that in the US, you don't have to use the airline lounge of the airline you are flying. If you have membership on another airline, and they have a better lounge, and if you have the time, use that lounge instead. Same goes if you are planning to purchase a one day access.

4) If you and a companion are travelling together in economy, get two aisle seats across from each other rather than sticking one of you in the middle seat.

5) Bulkheads are overrated.

6) Don't be the guy with a tuna sandwich that was packed 4 hours ago.

7) Take stairs rather than escalators. Walk rather then stand on a moving sidewalk. Get your blood moving as much as you are able.

8) Invest in Global Entry. When I arrive back in the states, and if I have no checked bags, I am often from plane to curb within 7 minutes.

9) Don't be the person who says, "but last time. ....". It won't get you anywhere, and you will sound like a jerk

10) If they don't give you the full can of soda, the world won't come to an end.

Georgetown

Re: Wisdom from the skies (or trenches) - 20 years as a FF junkie

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:18 am

Totally agree with everything you've said here. This kind of attitude is the only way to stay sane. I've found that nearly every employee I've ever come across (I too am a UA flier) genuinely cares about a) being a professional and b) you as a customer. I've found this to be true of all airlines, not just UA. A good attitude and a smile go an incredibly long way! Accepting and getting comfortable with the fact that when you walk into an airplane you are ceding control to people that know a heck of a lot more than you is also a big part of it. You gotta roll with the punches I've found. For every one time my flight out of ORD has gotten cancelled and I've ended up at the ORD Hilton, I've probably arrived home early 50 times.

As Louis CK puts it: "you're sitting in a chair in the sky! It's a miracle!"