Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyHappy
Topic Author

Icelanders visting MSP.....why?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:50 am

So, I was just in MSP T2 when FI 656 (767) from KEF arrived. I looked around at the pax awaiting the turnaround as was stunned to realize how many were clearly Icelandic. Certainly there are few connection opportunities, so whats the deal?
It seems accepted A.net wisdom that MSP is no O/D market, so what gives with this (admittedly thin) anecdotal observation?
With their minuscule population, closer geographical and cultural ties to Europe - why MSP?

[[ Vikings to see Vikings? ]]

opticalilyushin

Re: Icelanders visting MSP.....why?

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 am

I don't know about MSP but quite a few surprising cities in North America have citizens of Icelandic heritage (Winnipeg comes to mind), and also the Icelandic love to travel. Keep in mind that the airline also aims to attract the local markets to visit Iceland and use their hub to go on to Europe.

ChrisKen

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Icelandic people on a Iceland Air flight arriving from Iceland......surely not?

People like to travel, people travel to places where travel is easy too. Direct flight plus people equals...people turning up.

FlyRow

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm

ChrisKen wrote:

People like to travel, people travel to places where travel is easy too. Direct flight plus people equals...people turning up.

This... I can't believe it... I thought Icelandic people could only fly on foreign cariers!?

stlgph

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Man, you better stay away from Boston. That'd really blow your mind.

FlyHappy
Topic Author

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 am

FlyRow wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

This... I can't believe it... I thought Icelandic people could only fly on foreign cariers!?

oh brother, both of you. The question is less about Icelanders, as it is about MSP as a (generally speaking) non-destination.
As there are a few active a.net folks in Iceland, I thought I'd solicit their thoughts about what they suppose would bring any traffic to MSP given their choice of other FI routes, all equally as easy, cheap, quick. Being that MSP has little to no well known attractions, history or natural features that draw people from neighboring states, much less a North Atlantic island, closer to Europe.

aerorobnz

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 am

MSP does have plenty of Minnesota Scandinavians (Norwegian 10.9% Sweden 8.5% of population) which have ties to Norway and Sweden. That should see it easy to fill an FI 763

hvusslax

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

Mall of America.

When Icelandair started the MSP route in the late 90s they marketed Minneapolis heavily as a shopping destination, especially because of the Mall of America. I don't see it in ads as much these days but I guess the reputation lives on. There is quite a bit of demand out of Iceland for "retail travel", people going abroad with no luggage but returning with stuffed bags full of clothes and electronics and other goodies. If that sounds weird, it is only because you haven't been to Iceland to see the prices offered in stores there.

flymia

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am

hvusslax wrote:
Mall of America.

When Icelandair started the MSP route in the late 90s they marketed Minneapolis heavily as a shopping destination, especially because of the Mall of America. I don't see it in ads as much these days but I guess the reputation lives on. There is quite a bit of demand out of Iceland for "retail travel", people going abroad with no luggage but returning with stuffed bags full of clothes and electronics and other goodies. If that sounds weird, it is only because you haven't been to Iceland to see the prices offered in stores there.

This makes sense. And not odd at all. Miami and FLL are full of these types of flights. People from South America do this often, and even more so for, the Caribbean islands. Bahamasair has flights timed specifically for this. Arrive in the morning to MIA and go back to NAS in the evening. That flight is full of people who did shopping for the day.

SJCMSP

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm

I was curious, so I checked. Here's how Iceland Air is selling it:

http://www.icelandair.us/destinations/f ... nneapolis/

af773atmsp

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Same reason why a Minnesotan would visit a "cold and dark" (as a local put it) city like Helsinki; because its somewhere new. Granted I was living in Oslo at the time so it was easy to get to, but Helsinki doesn't have any major attractions (that I know of) that make it an international destination. The Twin Cities may not have any major attractions besides the Mall of America, but for people who have never been there its something new and a place to be explored.

Looking at that Icelandair page for Minneapolis, there appears to be an image of the Snoopy characters at the Mall of America, but Camp Snoopy (now Nickelodeon Universe) went away awhile ago.

usflyer msp

Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:14 pm

In my experience, Icelanders love Cabela's for some reason. You would shcoked at how may people get off the KEF-MSP flight and want to go straight to the closest Cabela's (which is in Woodbury, for the record) and return with all manner of outdoor and lawn equipment. Apparently, these goods cost about 1/3 the price that they do in Iceland. Even the Icelandair crews do it....