Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USAOZ
Topic Author

transitting LAX ?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 pm

know it's much easier now getting from Terminal 4 at LAX to TBIT, with the new connector & so avoid the whole security joke, but read in this article

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... nnections/

"Then there are tunnels connecting Terminals 4 through 8, meaning it’ll be possible to transit airside between Tom Bradley International Terminal and Terminals 4-8."

Never heard of these before ? Do these exist now & can they be used or is it talk about the future ?

winginit

Re: transitting LAX ?

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 pm

They've been there for years. Very commonly used and have been lightly branded (at least in color and font) by the carriers whose terminals they pass through (lighter blue under T4, darker blue under T5, etc.)

aklrno

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:17 pm

They've been there since the day the airport opened, and they were never well known. They are used mostly by frequent LAX travelers. For a while after 9/11 they were closed because if there was a security breach at one terminal that caused it to be closed, they would have to close all connected terminals. They now have a gate in the middle of each tunnel so that the terminals can be isolated in case of a security alert.

I most often use them if I have a long connection and I want to eat in a different terminal. I don't imagine that there are a lot of connecting passengers who need to transfer from AA to UA or similar interline transfers.

FriscoHeavy

Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Yes, I've used it to go from an AA flight in Terminal 5 to a flight in Terminal 4. Quite a barren walk (long, narrow tunnel), but convenient for getting between the two.

flymia

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:18 am

Yea, ived used them for years. Usually when I had a long layover in LAX or whe I get to the airport early before a flight out. Always enjoy checking out the different terminals and having more options to eat. Though now I find myself in TBIT. Pretty much my favorite terminal in the world.

USAOZ
Topic Author

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:38 am

so if landed at TBIT & wanted to fly out on Southwest, I could use a tunnel ?

aklrno

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 am

No. Southwest is in T1. Go to departure (upper) level in TBIT, turn left as you exit, walk about 10 minutes to the last terminal. Upper level is much more pleasant for walking. In the rare event of rain, walk on the lower level.