Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MichianaOrthx
Topic Author

Saudia Airlines under fire for Dress Code

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 am

SV stirred up controversy this week when it posted a dress code on its website that requested that women not wear tight or thin clothes that expose their legs or arms, and that men refrain from wearing shorts. This seems like it could lead to serious issues, especially with international travelers. What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-40862235

LY777

Re: Saudia Airlines under fire for Dress Code

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:08 am

This is going to far. I wonder how they can therefore still be part of Skyteam...

MalevTU134

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 am

Hasn't this dress code been around for years? What's new here?

chiad

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

Agree!
And the solution is easy: If you don't like it, don't fly Saudia.

Rajahdhani

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:37 am

chiad wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Agree!
And the solution is easy: If you don't like it, don't fly Saudia.

..and, further - what is the dress code - once the passenger arrives to Saudi Arabia (even if, just 'connecting' to anywhere else via the stop).

oldannyboy

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:27 am

This is going much too far and has to stop. I am all for religious tolerance, but religion (any religion) must not get in the way of other people [who may not care]; even more so when you are operating a business. Yes, I am happy to take my custom elsewhere -and it's sad because I like Saudia- , but if you are really that difficult with people, then IT IS YOUR PROBLEM at the end of the day, and it should never be cascaded onto the shoulders of others. Any form of religious orthodoxy has no place in the service business so perhaps it's about time Saudia stops international flying and retrenches to domestic operations?

TheLion

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 am

oldannyboy wrote:
This is going much too far and has to stop. I am all for religious tolerance, but religion (any religion) must not get in the way of other people [who may not care]; even more so when you are operating a business. Yes, I am happy to take my custom elsewhere -and it's sad because I like Saudia- , but if you are really that difficult with people, then IT IS YOUR PROBLEM at the end of the day, and it should never be cascaded onto the shoulders of others. Any form of religious orthodoxy has no place in the service business so perhaps it's about time Saudia stops international flying and retrenches to domestic operations?

Well said, wholeheartedly agree :thumbsup:

scbriml

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:52 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

It has. There's nothing new. This is "fake news" or this week's social media outrage story.

There's nothing in the BBC's article that says this is new. Anyone who flies on SV and is 'surprised' or 'inconvenienced' by the dress code will probably be surprised they can't get a beer on board as well. :sarcastic:

mjoelnir

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:16 am

Click bait by the topic author. Airlines have dress codes, Saudia has a dress code western travelers find strict. Airlines have crazy rules in their CoC.

It is not even a social media outrage. It was just somewhere reiterated what the dress code proscribes.

MaksFly

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 am

scbriml wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

It has. There's nothing new. This is "fake news" or this week's social media outrage story.

There's nothing in the BBC's article that says this is new. Anyone who flies on SV and is 'surprised' or 'inconvenienced' by the dress code will probably be surprised they can't get a beer on board as well. :sarcastic:

Do you honestly believe most people know the difference in culture between Dubai and Saudi Arabia?

By all means, yes Saudia can do as they wish, BUT... responsibility also has to fall to the ticket agents and travel sites to make sure customers know these oppressive standards.

I would bet if You had to acknowledge or check off on the dress code before buying a Saudia ticket... international ticket sales would drop like a rock.

mjoelnir

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 am

MaksFly wrote:

Do you honestly believe most people know the difference in culture between Dubai and Saudi Arabia?

Yes an informed person should.

We have a website here were some expect travelers to read and know by heart the complete CoC of the airlines they fly on. Compared to that, to find out the difference between Dubai and Saudi Arabia is peanuts and could mean the difference between landing in prison for "bad" behavior and having a nice holiday.

debonair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:00 am

MichianaOrthx wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Just my :twocents: , I don't need any Dress Code or Rules - I am a regular flyer on such airlines like KU/SV/IR/MS and it's a common sense for me to respect the culture of the country - as I expect the same from visitors of my country I am proud of. If I am not happy with that, I am free to choose to stay at home or to choose a different option. Simple as that. There is no discussion needed.

RoySFlying

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am

This is funny. In this forum we have discussed airlines in the US kicking people off because they wore pants too low, or a skirt that was too short, or a top that had a plunging neckline, or a t-shirt with a slogan on it, and people have defended the right of the airlines to remove the passengers. Hell, we have even seen justifications for people being kicked off because they read something in a foreign language and another passenger thought it was "suspicious".

Now, if it is acceptable that airlines in the so-called West can have poilicies covering dress and behaviour, why shouldn't Saudia? And is wearing long pants or a top with sleeves really that oppressive? Saudia's policy also covers not boarding in bare feet. Is that oppressive or simple common sense?

By all means, if you insist on travelling in as little as possible, at least read the terms and conditions before making a booking. If you disagree with those terms, choose another carrier. It isn't rocket science.

Ty134A

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:13 am

isn't this the national airline of a country that chemically castrates or even executes homosexuals, and is a close ally and brother nation of a land of the free and home of the brave? oh well, i think that clothes are a minor problem in this case...

WIederling

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:14 am

LY777 wrote:
This is going to far. I wonder how they can therefore still be part of Skyteam...

Keeping flabby meat under cover is a Good Thing (TM) :-)

CanadaFair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am

debonair wrote:
MichianaOrthx wrote:
What are your thoughts?

Just my :twocents: , I don't need any Dress Code or Rules - I am a regular flyer on such airlines like KU/SV/IR/MS and it's a common sense for me to respect the culture of the country - as I expect the same from visitors of my country I am proud of. If I am not happy with that, I am free to choose to stay at home or to choose a different option. Simple as that. There is no discussion needed.

Like wearing no less than shirt and trouser in F and J classes.

CanadaFair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:16 am

Ty134A wrote:
isn't this the national airline of a country that chemically castrates or even executes homosexuals, ...

Do they? there are laws but rarely if ever acted upon as is near impossible finding men in action, everyone has a place to have fun in, and so many foreign bachelor's sharing rooms etc. you can imagine how normal and a non-issuei it is.

mjoelnir

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 am

Ty134A wrote:
isn't this the national airline of a country that chemically castrates or even executes homosexuals, and is a close ally and brother nation of a land of the free and home of the brave? oh well, i think that clothes are a minor problem in this case...

Look a few years back in the western world. Alan Turing was chemically castrated. But also show me a country that is free of discrimination.

rbavfan

Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am

Sorry but their country & their national airline. If you don't like it and want to fly another airline I doubt the Suadi's care. Also after reading all the drunk issues ULCC's in Europe are having, it might be nice to fly on a DRY (ie. no booze) airline. But when your in another country you follow their laws not your countries laws.

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:25 pm

Its not like it is an insane dress code. I flew DXB-Saudi and was wearing shorts when I checked in. The check in agent very politely asked if I had any long pants or sweats I could wear and it was really no big deal at all for me to throw on some sweats over my shorts. I did find it funny that they had Modern Family on their IFE and censored out the word "pig" when Cam said it.

Jetty

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

It's a very vague dresscode though.

Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers.

A burqa is offensive to many people and outright banned in many countries. This is now forbidden at SV as well?

CanadaFair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Jetty wrote:
It's a very vague dresscode though.

Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers.

A burqa is offensive to many people and outright banned in many countries. This is now forbidden at SV as well?

No, because it doesn't offend modest values in THEIR culure.

pvjin

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:30 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Look a few years back in the western world. Alan Turing was chemically castrated. But also show me a country that is free of discrimination.

You need to look more than "a few years back" to find equally bad stuff happening in the west compared to what's going on in Saudi-Arabia. Probably Nazi Germany would be the closest, they had a lot of similarities in attitudes towards things like women's rights, gays, democracy and freedom of speech with modern day KSA.

Just because minor discrimination happens everywhere doesn't mean you can seriously compare KSA to any western country.

This is not to say that KSA and Saudia wouldn't have the right to apply whatever laws and customs they want though. I believe we shouldn't try force western values upon others if they don't want them.

CanadaFair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Secular western values, because Judeo-Christian values are not really same as far as modesty, homosexuality etc is concerned.

MSPSXMFLIER

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

Very well stated! I'm an atheist who has no problem with people having and expressing their religious beliefs, up to a point. If Saudia were strictly a domestic or regional carrier, then I would say that they have the right to tailor their dress code expectations as they see fit. However, they are an international carrier, flying all types of passengers to various destinations. To be in that service oriented business with those religious based expectations is absurd.
Last edited by MSPSXMFLIER on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjoelnir

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:02 pm

pvjin wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

You need to look more than "a few years back" to find equally bad stuff happening in the west compared to what's going on in Saudi-Arabia. Probably Nazi Germany would be the closest, they had a lot of similarities in attitudes towards things like women's rights, gays, democracy and freedom of speech with modern day KSA.

Just because minor discrimination happens everywhere doesn't mean you can seriously compare KSA to any western country.

This is not to say that KSA and Saudia wouldn't have the right to apply whatever laws and customs they want though. I believe we shouldn't try force western values upon others if they don't want them.

Yes I seriously compare western countries to the KSA. A bit tiered of the self congratulating superiority sense many have. Historically 50 years is not a long time, look at the laws in western countries 50 years ago and you find all of that what you complain about in the KSA today. People were criminally charged and tried. Their life destroyed. Chemical castrated and so on. At the same time people of the upper class were not bothered. Rehabilitation of victims in the different western countries started around 2010. That I call historically yesterday.
And one should never forget that laws to criminalize homosexuality were spread through the Anglo Saxon world and exported to a lot of other countries still having laws criminalizing homosexuality because of that. The British Empire having lots of responsibility for that and Christianity for the rest.
Look today at the drive in the USA to roll back LGBT rights. Full blown pressure by the religious right. Primate of religion over discrimination in newly enacted laws and so on.

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:12 pm

MSPSXMFLIER wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:

Very well stated! I'm an atheist who has no problem with people having and expressing their religious beliefs, up to a point. With Saudia, whether or not the rules are new or have been in place for years, this goes well past that point and is quite ridiculous, in all honesty.

No one is forced to fly Saudia. If you're too proud to wear sweats instead of shorts, fly another airline.

jetwet1

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:17 pm

It's a simple thing, if you do not like THEIR rules on THEIR airline, YOU are free to fly another airline. They own the business, they get to set the rules.

The amazing thing to me is their new Red Sea project, which will be a semi autonomous region not governed by normal Saudi laws.

einsteinboricua

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 pm

oldannyboy wrote:

There's a separate issue to discuss here but it belongs in the Non-Aviation forum because it deals with religion and business policies.

Simply put: I wonder if the people complaining about this are on the gay couples' side when bakeries refuse to bake them wedding cakes citing "sincerely held religious beliefs". Is the outrage similar when El Al tells you there are no flights on the Sabbath or accomodate an Orthodox Jew who refuses to sit next to 'X'?

What next? Serve me alcohol and pork on international flights because I'm not a Muslim?

Like I said, we can open a thread on the Non-Av section to further discuss this.

Unless Saudia has a monopoly flying into all Saudi airports (and odds are that's the case only in remote cities where I doubt business people and tourists are flocking to) and you're flying into a very small town where Saudia is the only carrier, there are various options to get to Saudi Arabia. From the international perspective, you'll likely connect through or transit in/out of Dammam, Jeddah, or Riyadh. Other airlines serve the airport. At least Saudia is clear about expectations if you're to travel with them; it would be another case if you showed up and right at the gate they deny boarding because the attendants deem you not suitable to travel.

mercure1

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Rather a non story.

Its well know there is basic dress etiquette when in Saudi Arabia, so certainly logical small portions would carry over to their airline.

Oh and lets not let our "western" values make us shocked. Try entering the Vatican in shorts, sleeveless or low cut clothing and see what their response is.
Nothing wrong with dressing appropriate and being mindful.

MichianaOrthx
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:39 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Click bait by the topic author. Airlines have dress codes, Saudia has a dress code western travelers find strict. Airlines have crazy rules in their CoC.

It is not even a social media outrage. It was just somewhere reiterated what the dress code proscribes.

Mind your accusations, this story has been reported by multiple sources over the past day. I found the story interesting and shared it on this forum, which exists to discuss aviation news, whether you like this story or not.

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

MichianaOrthx wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Mind your accusations, this story has been reported by multiple sources over the past day. I found the story interesting and shared it on this forum, which exists to discuss aviation news, whether you like this story or not.

The fact is that it is not news though...

MichianaOrthx
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
MichianaOrthx wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

Over the past day the issue has been reported in multiple sources, including but not limited to:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 84706.html
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... ress-code/
http://indianexpress.com/article/lifest ... e-4789005/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/4213784 ... rom-plane/
https://www.gdnonline.com/Details/24846 ... dress-code

Maybe this has been a stated rule for some time, but only now is it stirring controversy. As someone who has never flown SV, this story seemed like new news to me, and that is why I shared it. I don't have any ulterior motives, and I am not trying to "clickbait" people to an article.

I can respect that airlines will have a dress codes, but SVs seems like it goes a step to far. If you are an international flyer, and connecting with SV via another SkyTeam member, then you might run into some major issues when trying to get to your destination. If I was wearing shorts and was told that I have to change before getting on the flight, what would I do if I did not have any long pants readily available? Would I not be able to catch my flight? Would I have to make a mad dash to a duty free shop and hope that they sell clothing? This is a serious issue in that regard, especially since I am assuming that most people do not read airline dress codes before flying...I never have. So yes I can see why this would be newsworthy. I sincerely apologize if this has been a known dress code for awhile, but after reading the referenced articles, I thought it was a topic worth sharing.

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:12 pm

MichianaOrthx wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
MichianaOrthx wrote:

Over the past day the issue has been reported in multiple sources, including but not limited to:

Maybe this has been a stated rule for some time, but only now is it stirring controversy. As someone who has never flown SV, this story seemed like new news to me, and that is why I shared it. I don't have any ulterior motives, and I am not trying to "clickbait" people to an article.

I can respect that airlines will have a dress codes, but SVs seems like it goes a step to far. If you are an international flyer, and connecting with SV via another SkyTeam member, then you might run into some major issues when trying to get to your destination. If I was wearing shorts and was told that I have to change before getting on the flight, what would I do if I did not have any long pants readily available? Would I not be able to catch my flight? Would I have to make a mad dash to a duty free shop and hope that they sell clothing? This is a serious issue in that regard, especially since I am assuming that most people do not read airline dress codes before flying...I never have. So yes I can see why this would be newsworthy. I sincerely apologize if this has been a known dress code for awhile, but after reading the referenced articles, I thought it was a topic worth sharing.

I showed up to check in for my DXB-Saudi flight in shorts and was politely asked if I could put on long pants or sweats. I wasn't inconvenienced at all to open up my suitcase and grab a pair of sweats to put on over my shorts. Its Saudi Arabia you are traveling to or through. If you show up unprepared then that's on you for not being prepared or aware of what airline you are traveling with

MichianaOrthx
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
MichianaOrthx wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

I showed up to check in for my DXB-Saudi flight in shorts and was politely asked if I could put on long pants or sweats. I wasn't inconvenienced at all to open up my suitcase and grab a pair of sweats to put on over my shorts. Its Saudi Arabia you are traveling to or through. If you show up unprepared then that's on you for not being prepared or aware of what airline you are traveling with

If you were traveling with checked luggage, what would you have done in that situation?

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm

MichianaOrthx wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
MichianaOrthx wrote:

If you were traveling with checked luggage, what would you have done in that situation?

I did check my bag, she asked me to change before she took my bag. If she asked me to change after taking my bag then that would be an issue, but I haven't seen that be a complaint anywhere

Jetty

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:33 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
It's a simple thing, if you do not like THEIR rules on THEIR airline, YOU are free to fly another airline. They own the business, they get to set the rules.

With "THEIR" do you mean the royal family, all Saudi males or the people off Saudi-Arabia? If the latter you certainly are wrong as woman have nothing to say whatsoever.

Anyhow sadly such rules are to be expected when travelling to Saudi-Arabia with a Saudian airline, but such an outlier airline has no business in being in a global alliance as SkyTeam.

WorldFlier

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:52 pm

MichianaOrthx wrote:
SV stirred up controversy this week when it posted a dress code on its website that requested that women not wear tight or thin clothes that expose their legs or arms, and that men refrain from wearing shorts. This seems like it could lead to serious issues, especially with international travelers. What are your thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-40862235

I already won't fly them since they won't serve booze, so why would anyone fly Saudia unless they are flying *TO* Saudi Arabia? If you're such a bargain hunter, that you chose to fly Saudia...that's your fault.

Although, I've heard that the full coverings come right off as soon as they clear Saudi Airspace. I would imagine the clothing underneath is still "modest" - so this may be targeting connecting pax that are either unaware of or don't care about Saudi (the country) dress code.

gregn21

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Slow news day = fake news day

This dress code has been around for 10+ years. Once Twitter has relapsed from this is in like 5 hours there will be some other fabricated outrage very similar to this one. Maybe the next one will be "Emirates Refuses to Accomodate Cammel for Passenger with Anxiety Concerns".

CanadaFair

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Jetty wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

With "THEIR" do you mean the royal family, all Saudi males or the people off Saudi-Arabia? If the latter you certainly are wrong as woman have nothing to say whatsoever.

Anyhow sadly such rules are to be expected when travelling to Saudi-Arabia with a Saudian airline, but such an outlier airline has no business in being in a global alliance as SkyTeam.

Well, SkyTeam and members welcomed SV not caring about attitudes like yours, and it's not like any of the cribbers would have set foot on this airline even if it didn't have this rather innocent rule.

Also, noteworthy no conservative Saudi Mulla objected to SV joining a group that would put its passengers on airlines serving alcohol and pork, but surprisingly liberal US Jewish community objeced o DL putting passengers on SV flights. not even Christians or secularists seemed concerned.

oceanvikram

Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:41 pm

I disagree with a lot of things in Saudi Arabia since it's laws, customs and culture are against my values. But I do believe in the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans".

So, many of us agree that national airlines are ambassadors of their respective countries. Hence it is perfectly reasonable for Saudia to have dress code for passengers as it reflects their countrie's customs. Also, maybe it is a good idea for the arline to have a dress code since embarking or disembarking in Saudi Arabia may require similar dress code at the airport.

I have no interest in flying Saudia, however if required it would most likely be domestic flights. I doubt it will ever happen, because I see no reason to visit the country.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:54 pm

I wish there were similar dress codes on all airlines for safety reasons alone.

NeBaNi

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 pm

CanadaFair wrote:
Ty134A wrote:
isn't this the national airline of a country that chemically castrates or even executes homosexuals, ...

Do they? there are laws but rarely if ever acted upon as is near impossible finding men in action, everyone has a place to have fun in, and so many foreign bachelor's sharing rooms etc. you can imagine how normal and a non-issuei it is.

Wow, way to reduce homosexuality to "finding men in action, everyone has a place to have fun in, and so many foreign bachelor's sharing rooms etc". I applaud you, sir! /sarcasm

ahj2000

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm

This is all ridiculous. The comments about the Islamic religion getting in the way of one wearing shorts or a tank top on a SV flight shows what people really think is important...
jnev3289 wrote:
Its not like it is an insane dress code. I flew DXB-Saudi and was wearing shorts when I checked in. The check in agent very politely asked if I had any long pants or sweats I could wear and it was really no big deal at all for me to throw on some sweats over my shorts. I did find it funny that they had Modern Family on their IFE and censored out the word "pig" when Cam said it.

Waitwaitwait they played a show with a gay family on SAUDIA?

Jetty

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:09 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I wish there were similar dress codes on all airlines for safety reasons alone.

How does a dress code that differentiates between genders contribute to safety?

jetwet1

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Jetty wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Their = The owners of the business

As I said, if you don't like the rules a business has, you as the consumer have the right not to give them any of your money.

CanadaFair

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 am

NeBaNi wrote:
CanadaFair wrote:
Ty134A wrote:

Wow, way to reduce homosexuality to "finding men in action, everyone has a place to have fun in, and so many foreign bachelor's sharing rooms etc". I applaud you, sir! /sarcasm

Did you read it correctly? seems like you misinterpreted me as saying its easy t catch gays there..

Apart from maybe a few parties raided, nothing extreme has ever been carried out on queers in Saudi.

CanadaFair

Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 am

jetwet1 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Their = The owners of the business

As I said, if you don't like the rules a business has, you as the consumer have the right not to give them any of your money.

Not just that Saudia core customer base is Saudi nationals, regional traffic, Muslim immigrants living in the west, pilgrims, and labour, the ones cribbing are just a surprise when they show up on board..almost needle in a haystack like.

FlyHappy

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 am

the SV dress code is one of the least objectionable things I find about the KSA, in general.
I won't be flying SV even if I could do so naked.

BuildingMyBento

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:03 pm

oceanvikram wrote:
I disagree with a lot of things in Saudi Arabia since it's laws, customs and culture are against my values. But I do believe in the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans".

In Jeddah, you're less likely to see a foreigner wearing shorts than a Saudi.

I (expat temporarily based in Jeddah) went on jet skis today wearing a t-shirt and shorts. That was fine...but I might have had problems entering a mall, where many women are present. However, when going into establishments that have separate male/family (where the women eat) entrances, shorts are also generally ok.