AntonioMartin

Re: Saudia Airlines under fire for Dress Code

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:07 pm

I just wonder how will this affect SV's business out of such more Westerly customs cities like London, Paris or New York..do Emirates, Gulf Air, Iran Air, Etihad, Iraqi, Kuwait Airways, Royal Jordanian, Royal Air Maroc, Egyptair etc have similar dress codes?

Not to mention airlines that fly to Saudi that do have different dress codes..Air France, BA, LH.........

smokeybandit

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Fortunately, I don't anticipate any travel to the middle east, well, ever.

klwright69

Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:43 pm

There is nothing new about this dress code thing if that's what you want to call it. A friend of mine had to put on long pants when returning to KSA. He thought it was odd, but realized that it's Saudia, and he worked there in KSA, so he just complied, and it was over. He probably would have worn long pants anyway, but he had been on vacation. Some of you get hysterical of such pettiness. Actually long short pants are probably okay, just not short, short pants. It's a cultural thing ya see.

Should SV stop flying internationally? Should SkyTeam dump SV over this? Why bother writing random things that will never happen. So not flying SV? Fine, no one cares. Life is the same everywhere. There are people that live in the Kingdom that will not fly SV, because all airlines reflect their country of origin. Hence, SV is a dry airline, and some people don't want this. Good for them. Are you angry SV is a dry airline too?
SV 777's have a prayer area in the back of the plane. Should SV be kicked out the alliance or banned from certain countries over this?
Airlines from Islamic countries broadcast a prayer at the beginning of the flight. Should they be sanctioned for this? Some of you are probably outraged by this as well. Hey there's a news story right there in fact. Oh the outrage.

SV is not catering to the general public. They cater to people that need to travel to Saudi Arabia. Of course, people can connect on them via JED, RUH, or DMM, and they certainly do. But anyone who chooses this travel option is likely not completely stupid. Said people connecting would realize that they are flying on a different airline, and connecting in a city in a rather different country, and even then, most people dress tastefully enough to pass muster anyway. That's the truth. Anyone flying through KSA on SV will probably not ask for a red wine with dinner, on the flight in other words.

I took SV to Sharm Al Sheikh from KSA. Lots of Saudi men and women were miraculously dressed differently upon landing. The flight crew doesn't care. Some stations are probably less strict than others too, and possibly don't even use SV employees, maybe Swissport.

Some of you are really correct, lots of sins take place in the Kingdom, sins of all kinds. Hidden sins. No, it's not Nazi Germany. That's pretty funny actually.

It seems negative reporting about airlines is popular in the media these days. Journalists have to earn paychecks too you know. Just because it's been a story shared all over the media does not make it newsworthy.

KLAM

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:26 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
oldannyboy wrote:
This is going much too far and has to stop. I am all for religious tolerance, but religion (any religion) must not get in the way of other people [who may not care]; even more so when you are operating a business. Yes, I am happy to take my custom elsewhere -and it's sad because I like Saudia- , but if you are really that difficult with people, then IT IS YOUR PROBLEM at the end of the day, and it should never be cascaded onto the shoulders of others. Any form of religious orthodoxy has no place in the service business so perhaps it's about time Saudia stops international flying and retrenches to domestic operations?

There's a separate issue to discuss here but it belongs in the Non-Aviation forum because it deals with religion and business policies.

Simply put: I wonder if the people complaining about this are on the gay couples' side when bakeries refuse to bake them wedding cakes citing "sincerely held religious beliefs". Is the outrage similar when El Al tells you there are no flights on the Sabbath or accomodate an Orthodox Jew who refuses to sit next to 'X'?

What next? Serve me alcohol and pork on international flights because I'm not a Muslim?

Like I said, we can open a thread on the Non-Av section to further discuss this.

Unless Saudia has a monopoly flying into all Saudi airports (and odds are that's the case only in remote cities where I doubt business people and tourists are flocking to) and you're flying into a very small town where Saudia is the only carrier, there are various options to get to Saudi Arabia. From the international perspective, you'll likely connect through or transit in/out of Dammam, Jeddah, or Riyadh. Other airlines serve the airport. At least Saudia is clear about expectations if you're to travel with them; it would be another case if you showed up and right at the gate they deny boarding because the attendants deem you not suitable to travel.

I do understand it it their own company and they are free to impose their own rules. I just wonder what would happen if any western airline refused to serve Halal/Kosher meals, and started a dress code in which females are supposed to remove their headscarf and nobody is allowed to wear religious symbols. I know there would be an outrage mostly because there has been one every time a government bans face coverings in public spaces.

Again, you either deal with it or choose something else ... but I do believe that if the situation was turned the other way around, the outrage would be even louder.
flyOM

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:43 am

KLAM wrote:
I do understand it it their own company and they are free to impose their own rules. I just wonder what would happen if any western airline refused to serve Halal/Kosher meals, and started a dress code in which females are supposed to remove their headscarf and nobody is allowed to wear religious symbols. I know there would be an outrage mostly because there has been one every time a government bans face coverings in public spaces.

Saudia's dress code does not in any way infringe on your religious or non-religious freedoms so the comparison is not apt.

Mind you, I do feel that the dress code should have been merely an advisory rather than an enforcable rule.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

CanadaFair

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 am

Banning halal/kosher and asking passengers to remove hijab and other religious symbols can not compare,

Air Transat is not serving Muslim and other special meals now but retained kosher and veggie, no Muslim is offended, we can eat kosher and veggie but still it can be taken as an affront meals specifically for our community been removed.

KLAM

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 am

CanadaFair wrote:
Banning halal/kosher and asking passengers to remove hijab and other religious symbols can not compare,

Air Transat is not serving Muslim and other special meals now but retained kosher and veggie, no Muslim is offended, we can eat kosher and veggie but still it can be taken as an affront meals specifically for our community been removed.

Well, I guess I am proven wrong. At any rate, it is their country and their rules. Even if religious freedom does not apply for them (or applies in their own terms). I would not say I would not fly SV at all though. I can respect their rules, even if I consider them to be stupid.
flyOM