Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dik909
Topic Author

Eurowings Cancelled Flight - HELP !!

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

On the 6th of last month (July) my Eurowings flight was cancelled from Geneva to Duesseldorf. The best part, they didn't send anyone to the gate to assist stranded passengers, and there's no dedicated Eurowings desk at Geneva airport. All of us passengers were forced to go to other airlines for help: Air Berlin, Air France, Swissair, etc.. I called Eurowings and explained the situation and the woman told me on the phone that my only option to get home that night was to book on another airline, then to send Eurowings the bill, which I did.

The best part: They are now trying to deny my request for financial compensation (~560 Euros). I appealed their decision, threatening legal action, which they again denied. I am at my wits' end, and am so angry about this that I can barely see straight.

Please, any advice/assistance you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JD

fiscal

Re: Eurowings Cancelled Flight - HELP !!

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:31 am

credit card reversal?

dj1986

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 am

This is a great trip report!

LTU932

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 am

fiscal wrote:
credit card reversal?
If he's from Germany, then please note that credit cards are rather uncommon there in comparison with other countries, so assume that he may not have one and that he doesn't have/use Paypal. If he paid by direct deposit, or cash, he can only hope he can get refunded because there's no chargeback for that. If he paid by getting his account automatically charged (aka Lastschriftverfahren), he can only charge back within 8 weeks after the fact. And if he paid with his debit card (which are mostly Maestro cards in Germany and can't be used like credit cards), the charge has to be debited on the account as a deduction by Lastschriftverfahren, or else it's the same thing as with a direct deposit or paying in cash.

That being said, even if he does charge back the money successfully, I can almost certainly guarantee that EW will send a collection office after him, regardless of the legal situation between him and the airline. And that can have a very negative impact in his credit rating. So whatever needs to be done, he has to decide wisely and after thorough thought.

D1n0

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 am

Its just rockin!........

debonair

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

Had exactly the same problem with Eurowings, seems common and for me no wonder why LH posted the best first quarter results... BTW. I won my case after some s**t storm on facebook about their poor customer service.

BIG mistake, in first place you should have contacted the dedicated Ground Handling company at Geneva Airport. Now you have to find the reason, why the flight was cancelled in first place. They can't just deny your claim, they have to give an explanation. If it was an act of god (bad weather, fog etc.) you are screwed up. However, if you are entitled for compensation, you can not only claim the refund, but also a compensation. So, in this case, I would hand over the claim to a specialized company, like flightright, eu-claim, flug-verspaetet etc.! Good luck!

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Try this guy:
http://www.kanzlei-irion.de/
Herr Harald Irion ra@kanzlei-irion.de
Tel.: (07725) 9 14 99 - 25

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:46 pm

LTU932 wrote:
fiscal wrote:
credit card reversal?
If he's from Germany, then please note that credit cards are rather uncommon there in comparison with other countries, so assume that he may not have one and that he doesn't have/use Paypal. If he paid by direct deposit, or cash, he can only hope he can get refunded because there's no chargeback for that. If he paid by getting his account automatically charged (aka Lastschriftverfahren), he can only charge back within 8 weeks after the fact. And if he paid with his debit card (which are mostly Maestro cards in Germany and can't be used like credit cards), the charge has to be debited on the account as a deduction by Lastschriftverfahren, or else it's the same thing as with a direct deposit or paying in cash.

That being said, even if he does charge back the money successfully, I can almost certainly guarantee that EW will send a collection office after him, regardless of the legal situation between him and the airline. And that can have a very negative impact in his credit rating. So whatever needs to be done, he has to decide wisely and after thorough thought.

I paid for it with my work credit card, American Express. I've never looked into "reversing charges," but I'm open to all options at this point. I will first contact the resources mentioned in the above two replies. Thanks. :)

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:49 pm

debonair wrote:
Had exactly the same problem with Eurowings, seems common and for me no wonder why LH posted the best first quarter results... BTW. I won my case after some s**t storm on facebook about their poor customer service.

BIG mistake, in first place you should have contacted the dedicated Ground Handling company at Geneva Airport. Now you have to find the reason, why the flight was cancelled in first place. They can't just deny your claim, they have to give an explanation. If it was an act of god (bad weather, fog etc.) you are screwed up. However, if you are entitled for compensation, you can not only claim the refund, but also a compensation. So, in this case, I would hand over the claim to a specialized company, like flightright, eu-claim, flug-verspaetet etc.! Good luck!

I was told that it was cancelled due to a runway obstruction in Duesseldorf. They have so far offered zero explanation. The whole thing seems extremely suspect. They offered to refund the cost of the original ticket, plus 250 Euros. However, my company paid for the initial ticket. I paid for my emergency return flight home via Air France out of my own pocket, (a company credit card linked to my bank account; I am compensated after submitting expense reports).

I will look up the companies you mentioned and pursue those. Thank you for the tips. :)

Also, if possible, can you please link to the "FB shxtstorm" which led to your win ? ;)

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Try this guy:
http://www.kanzlei-irion.de/
Herr Harald Irion ra@kanzlei-irion.de
Tel.: (07725) 9 14 99 - 25

Thank you !! I will do that right now. :)

conaly

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Lol, currently I'm having more or less the same problems with them. My flight on 2nd June was cancelled, I took a rental car instead (NUE-DUS) as the next flight would have gone only two days later (and my return flight was the the same day...). I even asked their worker, who gave us the passenger rights and confirmation of the cancellation, if they will refund money for a rental car, which she confirmed. So afterwards I've been in mail contact with Eurowings. At first they only agreed to pay the compensation of 250€ for the cancelled flight. I refused and said, that they also need to pay for the rental car and gas, as there was no alternative transportation offered. Well, of course they refused a few times. At some point they offered my to refund the flight ticket, which I also refused, as the flight ticket was much less than what I had to pay for the rental car. The last thing they offered was to let "Schlichtungsstelle" handle the issue, which I refused again. Now I'm waiting for my last set deadline to pass by and if still don't have the money on my account I will sue them. I'm already in contact with a lawyer regarding this. I suggest you do the same, a lawyer should be much more threatening to them.

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:22 pm

conaly wrote:
Lol, currently I'm having more or less the same problems with them. My flight on 2nd June was cancelled, I took a rental car instead (NUE-DUS) as the next flight would have gone only two days later (and my return flight was the the same day...). I even asked their worker, who gave us the passenger rights and confirmation of the cancellation, if they will refund money for a rental car, which she confirmed. So afterwards I've been in mail contact with Eurowings. At first they only agreed to pay the compensation of 250€ for the cancelled flight. I refused and said, that they also need to pay for the rental car and gas, as there was no alternative transportation offered. Well, of course they refused a few times. At some point they offered my to refund the flight ticket, which I also refused, as the flight ticket was much less than what I had to pay for the rental car. The last thing they offered was to let "Schlichtungsstelle" handle the issue, which I refused again. Now I'm waiting for my last set deadline to pass by and if still don't have the money on my account I will sue them. I'm already in contact with a lawyer regarding this. I suggest you do the same, a lawyer should be much more threatening to them.

Dang, sorry to hear. Good to know I'm not alone, though. I already sent an email to the lawyer in the comment/reply above yours^^. We'll see how things go.

Please let me know how your "case" unfolds, and I'll do the same. Perhaps we can offer each other useful information along the way.

Best of luck to you. :)

Stratofish

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 pm

A: I think this is the wrong forum but we'll leave that to the moderators.

B: In most European airports a gate is a gate. A place and facility to bard an aircraft. It is not where customer issues are solved. A cancellation is anounced by information screens and maybe PA announcement. No need to send anyone to the gate as nothing can be solved from there. Remember: gate agents are not ticketing agents who are what you need in that situation. Also computers at gates are connected to the departure control system (DCS), not the ticketing system, for good reason.

C: I don't know what EW told you exactly on the telephone so this is where you might stand a chance in case of any judicial proceedings, but usually you do not have the (EU-)right to fly that night no matter what. What I mean is the carrier has to offer you the next AVAILABLE flights within good reason (which most translate into: "on our network or partners") or try to provide a hotel room if needed. "Right to Care" If you chose to fly on a different carrier that night just because you wanted to be home THAT night I think you probably won't get that flight reimbursed since it was out of your stipulated rights. Again, difficult to tell if that phone call might actually work in your favor.

D: To the gentleman who took the rental car: don't ever do that!! That information given to you was unfortunately wrong. I don't want to sound rude here so please take it as pure advice: some airlines might pay arental car to get you to your destination. But they use vouchers that they issue to you before you go the rental companies.

Again, this is pure advice and I got no intention to sound rude (although I still think this is the wrong forum ;) )

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Stratofish wrote:
A: I think this is the wrong forum but we'll leave that to the moderators.

B: In most European airports a gate is a gate. A place and facility to bard an aircraft. It is not where customer issues are solved. A cancellation is anounced by information screens and maybe PA announcement. No need to send anyone to the gate as nothing can be solved from there. Remember: gate agents are not ticketing agents who are what you need in that situation. Also computers at gates are connected to the departure control system (DCS), not the ticketing system, for good reason.

C: I don't know what EW told you exactly on the telephone so this is where you might stand a chance in case of any judicial proceedings, but usually you do not have the (EU-)right to fly that night no matter what. What I mean is the carrier has to offer you the next AVAILABLE flights within good reason (which most translate into: "on our network or partners") or try to provide a hotel room if needed. "Right to Care" If you chose to fly on a different carrier that night just because you wanted to be home THAT night I think you probably won't get that flight reimbursed since it was out of your stipulated rights. Again, difficult to tell if that phone call might actually work in your favor.

D: To the gentleman who took the rental car: don't ever do that!! That information given to you was unfortunately wrong. I don't want to sound rude here so please take it as pure advice: some airlines might pay arental car to get you to your destination. But they use vouchers that they issue to you before you go the rental companies.

Again, this is pure advice and I got no intention to sound rude (although I still think this is the wrong forum ;) )

Thanks for the info. :)

With regard to your point 'C:' the thing is, as I said, there were no Eurowings representatives around at the gate, or at any kiosk/check-in area. Literally all of the passengers were left high and dry with absolutely zero possibility for recourse. We had to go to other airlines' to get information on how to resolve the issue. There was no information on who/how/when anyone might even be around to assist us with rebooking on the next available flights. This is why myself and many others called Eurowings to get some answers.

In my correspondences with EW I asked them how long they retain phone recordings for, if at all. I still have the call date/time/duration, etc.. I am supremely confident that, if that recording were around, I would be fully exonerated.

conaly

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:14 am

Stratofish wrote:

I had to. There was a fair the next two days I wanted to attend. The rental car was the only possible method to get to DUS soon enough to attend the fair. Also my lawyer already said, that they have to refund the rental car, as the airline did not offer any reasonable alternative transportation (as I said, the next flight would've gone two days later and they even said "only if it has still available seats"). Eurowings suggested to try to get to DUS by train, they did NOT offer any voucher or tickets but said to send every bill to them and they will refund it. That's what I did and now they refuse to pay.

My offered deadline for them ends in one week. My lawyer is ready to sue them over this issue. We will see...

ronchetti

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 am

dik909 wrote:
On the 6th of last month (July) my Eurowings flight was cancelled from Geneva to Duesseldorf. The best part, they didn't send anyone to the gate to assist stranded passengers, and there's no dedicated Eurowings desk at Geneva airport. All of us passengers were forced to go to other airlines for help: Air Berlin, Air France, Swissair, etc.. I called Eurowings and explained the situation and the woman told me on the phone that my only option to get home that night was to book on another airline, then to send Eurowings the bill, which I did.

The best part: They are now trying to deny my request for financial compensation (~560 Euros). I appealed their decision, threatening legal action, which they again denied. I am at my wits' end, and am so angry about this that I can barely see straight.

Please, any advice/assistance you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
JD

Some years ago happened the same related to a flight cancellation from MAN to MXP with Volare Web Airline. After a lot of discussion about the repayment for the return ticket by FlyBee, I wrotefor the claim to the Italian Civil Aviation Public Organ9ization (ENAC) and they contacted the airline making pressure to grant the repayment, as European rules are clear: if the cancellation is not due to reasons not linked with the airline (weather, strikes....) the airline must repay you. Try the same with the German Civil Aviation.

debonair

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 am

conaly wrote:
Lol, currently I'm having more or less the same problems with them.

As I wrote before, I have problems with them too. The customer service is a nightmare...

I had booked a flight from MAN to HAM via DUS. The first was delayed - no staff at MAN airport, impossible to make the connection at DUS. But there was a non-stop flight to HAM later that evening. Called their fantastic helpline and asked for rebooking - final word: you have to stay on your booked flight, we will hold the flight in DUS for you! Yeah right!
After arrival in DUS, surprise, the connection was gone, I was rebooked to the next flight with hotel accommodation. But then the staff decided to cancel all arrangements and put me on the next available bus(!!) from DUS to HAM. I refused. Arriving nearly 24hrs later at my final destination, I claimed for compensation. No response; only after I posted on their facebook page comments about their non-existent customer service, they agreed to pay within 24hrs...

dik909
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm

ronchetti wrote:

Some years ago happened the same related to a flight cancellation from MAN to MXP with Volare Web Airline. After a lot of discussion about the repayment for the return ticket by FlyBee, I wrotefor the claim to the Italian Civil Aviation Public Organ9ization (ENAC) and they contacted the airline making pressure to grant the repayment, as European rules are clear: if the cancellation is not due to reasons not linked with the airline (weather, strikes....) the airline must repay you. Try the same with the German Civil Aviation.

Thank you. I will also try this.

By chance, do you know who the German aviation authority is ?

dik909
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm

debonair wrote:

As I wrote before, I have problems with them too. The customer service is a nightmare...

I had booked a flight from MAN to HAM via DUS. The first was delayed - no staff at MAN airport, impossible to make the connection at DUS. But there was a non-stop flight to HAM later that evening. Called their fantastic helpline and asked for rebooking - final word: you have to stay on your booked flight, we will hold the flight in DUS for you! Yeah right!
After arrival in DUS, surprise, the connection was gone, I was rebooked to the next flight with hotel accommodation. But then the staff decided to cancel all arrangements and put me on the next available bus(!!) from DUS to HAM. I refused. Arriving nearly 24hrs later at my final destination, I claimed for compensation. No response; only after I posted on their facebook page comments about their non-existent customer service, they agreed to pay within 24hrs...

Sounds like I should make a fuss on their Facebook page.. ;)

debonair

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 pm

dik909 wrote:
By chance, do you know who the German aviation authority is ?

What's your nationality? Do you speak German?

1. Free of Charge is the "SÖP": https://soep-online.de/welcome.html (problem it is non-binding)
2. A list with all National Enforcement Bodies: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/tr ... bodies.pdf

Good luck!!

Thunderboltdrgn

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm

dik909 wrote:
Sounds like I should make a fuss on their Facebook page.. ;)

They are acting like all other LCC. Trying to escape their legal obligation to reimburse you.
See this http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm and this http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/na ... pic=travel

From the first link:

If you were denied boarding, your flight was cancelled, you experienced a delay of more than 2 hours at departure or
you arrive with a long delay at your final destination, the operating air carrier must give you a written notice setting out
the rules for compensation and assistance.

dik909
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:33 pm

debonair wrote:

What's your nationality? Do you speak German?

1. Free of Charge is the "SÖP": https://soep-online.de/welcome.html (problem it is non-binding)
2. A list with all National Enforcement Bodies: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/tr ... bodies.pdf

Good luck!!

American. Und, ein Bisschen ;P

I used Google and already contacted the Luftfahrt Bundesamt.

I'll check out those links, thanks. :)

dik909
Topic Author

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

They are acting like all other LCC. Trying to escape their legal obligation to reimburse you.
See this http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/tr ... dex_en.htm and this http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/na ... pic=travel

From the first link:

If you were denied boarding, your flight was cancelled, you experienced a delay of more than 2 hours at departure or
you arrive with a long delay at your final destination, the operating air carrier must give you a written notice setting out
the rules for compensation and assistance.

Sounds about right. I'm reminded of the John Grisham novel 'The Rainmaker' which involves an insurance company's policy to initially deny every claim, no matter how legitimate. If the people persist, then they finally reimburse. Ugh, such a pain..

Even though Eurowings is no longer replying to me, I think I will ask them to give me, 'a written notice setting out the rules for compensation and assistance.' ;)

SCQ83

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:16 am

You can use one of those refund companies on the Internet. (just google refund cancelled EU flight or whatever). You just have to send them a picture/scan with some proof that you had a ticket on that flight.

Air France (so this is not only about low costs) cancelled me a flight in January for no reason (light loads probably). So they put me on a connection flight arriving at destination like 6 hours later (fortunately it was a work trip and just missed some boring meetings :) )

I used one of those websites and just got my refund only a few days ago (since January!!), I was entitled to 250 EUR and got 170 EUR on my bank account after all the fees the processing company took.

Nicoeddf

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 am

LTU932 wrote:
fiscal wrote:
credit card reversal?
If he's from Germany, then please note that credit cards are rather uncommon there in comparison with other countries, so assume that he may not have one and that he doesn't have/use Paypal. .

Haha...WHAT? I don't know anybody in Germany not having at least one credit card nor do I know anyone below 45 not using Paypal...

LTU932

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Nicoeddf wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
fiscal wrote:
credit card reversal?
If he's from Germany, then please note that credit cards are rather uncommon there in comparison with other countries, so assume that he may not have one and that he doesn't have/use Paypal. .

Haha...WHAT? I don't know anybody in Germany not having at least one credit card nor do I know anyone below 45 not using Paypal...
I don't know, but that's my experience. And compared to other countries, Germany is far more into cash than other places, while e.g. in the US, it's more common to pay bigger amounts with their credit card than in cash.

conaly

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Germany is like a 3rd world country in regards to credit card acceptance. Many shops, even bigger chains and a lot of restaurants don't accept credit cards at all. And I actually do know a few people around my age (mid-20s), who do not have any credit cards, don't have a PayPal account and don't even use online banking. Germany always has been very cash-affine, or as alternative many prefer normal bank transfer over credit card payment. Cheques I haven't seen even once in my life. "Nur Bares ist Wahres", or in English: "only (hard) cash is true (money)".

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 am

conaly wrote:
Germany is like a 3rd world country in regards to credit card acceptance. Many shops, even bigger chains and a lot of restaurants don't accept credit cards at all. And I actually do know a few people around my age (mid-20s), who do not have any credit cards, don't have a PayPal account and don't even use online banking. Germany always has been very cash-affine, or as alternative many prefer normal bank transfer over credit card payment. Cheques I haven't seen even once in my life. "Nur Bares ist Wahres", or in English: "only (hard) cash is true (money)".

Not to get too off-topic, but that's quite a stretch. 95% of restaurants accept credit cards. I know this because I use mine often. Most shops prefer debit cards, but can handle credit cards if need be. The only limits I've experienced is that Visa and MasterCard are preferred; American Express is not accepted at as many locations.

True, cash is preferred, but to suggest that credit cards in Germany are so rare is quite incorrect.

conaly

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:16 am

My experience is different, especially when it comes to shops and restaurants. I've worked at bigger supermarket chain a few years ago: no credit cards at all. My sister works in a restaurant: neither credit, no debit cards. So I highly doubt your 95% credit card acceptance in restaurants. I do know a lot of them, which don't even accept debit cards. For hotels, rental cars or shopping centers with high priced goods (electronics, machines etc) it's of course not a problem.

dik909
Topic Author

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm

conaly wrote:
My experience is different, especially when it comes to shops and restaurants. I've worked at bigger supermarket chain a few years ago: no credit cards at all. My sister works in a restaurant: neither credit, no debit cards. So I highly doubt your 95% credit card acceptance in restaurants. I do know a lot of them, which don't even accept debit cards. For hotels, rental cars or shopping centers with high priced goods (electronics, machines etc) it's of course not a problem.

Hm, where in Germany do/did you reside ? What supermarket chain ??

Maybe my "problem" I'm shopping at too many high-end retailers. ^_^

I am extremely surprised about your conclusion on restaurants; in my experience, restaurants are overwhelmingly more prepared to handle credit/debit cards than everyday retail businesses.

conaly

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm from "Bierfranken" (Franconia, Nürnberg/Bamberg/Bayreuth area). Rural area, maybe that's why. But even in the cities around I know many restaurants, which do not accept CCs.

fortytwoeyes

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:25 pm

It's changing, credit cards are becoming more accepted in Germany, but my advice to any traveller would still be "they might take them, but do not expect it and always have an alternative on hand"

vfw614

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm

You can use one of those refund companies on the Internet. (just google refund cancelled EU flight or whatever). You just have to send them a picture/scan with some proof that you had a ticket on that flight.

You can only use those companies for EU 261/04 compensation claims which technically amount to debt collection. They are not allowed to handle others cases related to flight bookings such as damages for non-performance of the contract of carriage. This requires a law firm that is authorized to practice of law. The German CAA is of no use, they will not get involved in a civil dispute not related to EU 261/04 between airline and passenger.

That said, unless the Facebook/Shitstorm approach works, you will probably need a lawyer to sort this out. Eurowings is usually trying to ignore any claims as long as possible. I had to take them to the court doorsteps to pay out once.

This has changed considerably. Even discount supermarkets such as Aldi or Netto nowadays accept CC - and I still remember the days when Aldi was a cash-only shop. As for restaurants, most of the more upmarket restaurants accept credit cards. The mum and pop corner business selling kebaps might be a different story. So the experience will probably depend on the segment of the restaurant market one patronizes.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am

fortytwoeyes wrote:
It's changing, credit cards are becoming more accepted in Germany, but my advice to any traveller would still be "they might take them, but do not expect it and always have an alternative on hand"

I was in IKEA in Cologne in 2014 and they didn't accept debit or credit card (they accepted this weird German card-check which I can't recall its name). I was shocked. Fortunately it was a quick purchase of a few dozen euros so I had cash.

But visiting Germany frequently, I noticed acceptance of cards is (finally!) becoming more common. I was even in a Netto in Berlin a few weeks ago to be surprised they accepted cards.

Still years away from places like neighbouring Denmark or in Sweden where you can go totally cashless (I don't ever bother to exchange Euros for Krones whenever visit those places).

LTU932

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am

SCQ83 wrote:
fortytwoeyes wrote:

I was in IKEA in Cologne in 2014 and they didn't accept debit or credit card (they accepted this weird German card-check which I can't recall its name). I was shocked. Fortunately it was a quick purchase of a few dozen euros so I had cash.
You mean Maestro cards? Debit cards that could be used like credit cards (e.g. with Visa or Mastercard logo, like the one I have) are not issued in Germany (at least not by most banks), they issue Maestro. Previously they were EC (Eurocheque) cards, hence why Germans still call their ATM cards EC-Karte. The EC now stands for "electronic cash".

As for people telling a company that if they don't do anything, they'll call a lawyer, let me give you a suggestion: Don't threaten with a lawyer, get a lawyer. I know from experience that you won't get taken seriously if you only threaten with a lawyer. Make facts and hire a lawyer, don't tell them that you may get one.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 am

LTU932 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
fortytwoeyes wrote:

You mean Maestro cards? Debit cards that could be used like credit cards (e.g. with Visa or Mastercard logo, I have an internationally usable debit card with Mastercard logo from Banco de Costa Rica) are not issued in Germany (at least not by most banks), they issue Maestro. Previously they were EC (Eurocheque) cards, hence why Germans still call their ATM cards EC-Karte. The EC now stands for "electronic cash"..

Yes, exactly the EC-Karte, a very German thing :)

So they didn't accept any EU-issued "normal" card like I had, Mastercard, AMEX or Visa, whether it was debit or credit.

LTU932

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am

SCQ83 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

You mean Maestro cards? Debit cards that could be used like credit cards (e.g. with Visa or Mastercard logo, I have an internationally usable debit card with Mastercard logo from Banco de Costa Rica) are not issued in Germany (at least not by most banks), they issue Maestro. Previously they were EC (Eurocheque) cards, hence why Germans still call their ATM cards EC-Karte. The EC now stands for "electronic cash"..

Yes, exactly the EC-Karte, a very German thing :)

So they didn't accept any EU-issued "normal" card like I had, Mastercard, AMEX or Visa, whether it was debit or credit.
Yes, it was indeed so that most stores didn't accept credit cards at all in Germany. It's also true that nowadays, places like Aldi (probably Aldi Süd, because I never saw that in Aldi Nord before I left) or Netto (the Netto that belongs to Edeka, no idea about the other Netto with the dog and basket logo) are starting to accept credit cards. I know the Netto near my old apartment was advertising that.

conaly

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:35 pm

dik909 wrote:
Please let me know how your "case" unfolds, and I'll do the same. Perhaps we can offer each other useful information along the way.

So, first step is done. After some clarification with the lawyers I've given them my permission to file a case against Eurowings. As Eurowings already paid 250€, they kind of admitted, that the cancellation was their fault and no alternative was offered. In this case, according to the lawyers, I would have had the freedom of choice of an alternative transportation and the airlines has to refund me for that. So the rental car has to be refunded. I'll keep you updated.

conaly

Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am

So, conclusion came in: after Germanwings got mail from the court, they accepted all of my demands and refunded me everything including interest rate.

sk736

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

conaly wrote:
So, conclusion came in: after Germanwings got mail from the court, they accepted all of my demands and refunded me everything including interest rate.

Great result...it shows that persistence pays off in the end!