777222LR
Topic Author

Dubai Ideas, places to see, opinions

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:13 am

Hi!

I am headed to Dubai in October. It's my first time there. I will be at the JW Marriott Marquis on Sheikh Zayed Road.

Several reasons I'm excited:

1. Lufthansa and Turkish business class. OKC-DEN-FRA-DXB-IST-IAH-OKC. I've not flown business class on either. Opinions on both?

2. The hotel: The JW Marriott Marquis is the tallest hotel in the world, and I got a huge room at a ridiculously low rate on a high floor. Hoping for amazing views.

3. I've never been to Dubai. I hear there are so many things to see. So I want your opinion on highlights of the city. Also, I was considering doing a day trip to Abu Dhabi to see the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. Is it possible to make this trip in a day, and how do I get there.

I appreciate the opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

L410Turbolet

Re: Dubai Ideas, places to see, opinions

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Opinions?
Dubai is currently THE most overrated tourist destination. Shopping malls in a desert. Place without a soul or any "genius loci" whatsoever.

Suggestions?
1. I would be very hesitant to take a high floor room given the fire safety standards there.
2. Upon arrival take a taxi, let the driver take you around the most notorious sights, spend a night in Dubai. This would quality to check the "been there done that" checklist. The next morning, take a bus/plane to Muscat and rent a car there (crossing the UAE/Oman border with rental car could be an ordeal). Oman is much more authentic, interesting and sightseeing-worthy. #2 of course very much depends on how many days you plan to spend there.

Braybuddy

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:59 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Opinions?
Dubai is currently THE most overrated tourist destination. Shopping malls in a desert. Place without a soul or any "genius loci" whatsoever.

Couldn't agree more. If you like high-end shopping it's probably fine, but apart from the Burj Khalifa and the Burj al Arab there isn't a lot to see. It's not pedestrian friendly either, so strolling around is pretty pointless. You don't say how long you're staying, but a couple of days there is more than enough.

FriscoHeavy

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:18 pm

I love Dubai. It's a great place to visit and I would go back for a 3rd time in a heartbeat.

We stayed at the JW Marriott last September. Great place, but nearly every JW is.

The rooms are large, AMAZING bathrooms. Feels like a hotel should feel. You will be very centrally located and can hop a taxi anywhere you want to go.

When we left, we flew TK from DXB and connected in IST. Good flight, just too bad that IST is such mayhem and a dump.
FriscoHeavy

andrej

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Dubai is nice to visit, but I would not spend more than 4 days there. For me, Burj Khalifa is overrated and way to expensive to go to the 'Top of the World'. Rather take boat trips from Dubai Marina to Dubai Creek.

Things to visit/do:

1. Heritage village - http://www.cultures.ae/ (one of my most favorite places in Dubai)
2. Dubai Creek
3. Fish Market - if you can buy fish there and let them prepare it for you (mind you, not for everyone).
4. Take a metro :)
5. Dubai Mall (Dancing Fountain -> nice to see once) and Mall of the Emirates (worth to visit once -> at least you cool down a little)
6. Dubai Marina Walkway - nice to stroll around
7. Marina Beach

Visit old Dubai (where not many tourists go to) and just get lost there. See and smell that place, it is nicer than the hotels/restaurants/malls.

And I concur, visit Muscat, Oman. THAT is a magnificent place.

Dubai - as any place in the World - is nice, if you have the money to spend. But after several days there, it does get monotone.

FlyRow

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:37 pm

As said above:

- Soukh's are nice, the gold sook is terrrible, but the soukh on the other side is nice and a bit more authentic. It's in Old Dubai. Go to the Al Fahidi / Al gubhaiba metro station. And as said by Andrej, wander off... If you see tourist go right, turn left.
- Take the cheap old fery across dubai creek, cost barely a thing but more an experience, They are named Abra's and cost no more then one whole Dirham.
- An organised 4x4 trip in to the desert is nice, while touristy, you do usually go to a fake nomadic camp, but it's still nice and not a mall.

Outside that, if you have the money take the Brunch/High Tea offer at the Burj Al Arab, you get to go inside and enjoy the food, without spending the price of staying at this hotel...
Otherwise Dubai is one of the most overated destinations, but also one for the bucket list, because it's so bizarre and over the top.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

B777LRF

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:14 am

Sadly, the Cyclone has been closed down, which leaves the Wild Wadi and extremely overpriced shopping malls as the main attractions.

I've stayed at the JW in Deira a few times, and it is indeed a very nice hotel. But, at the end of the day, it's just a hotel. I've been to the Burj a few times as well; never have my retinas have so much need of a washing with bleach. It's horrendously gaudy, a true manifest to the saying 'money can't buy you style'. But if you enjoy a 20USD beer, have a go at it.

In essence, it's Las Vegas without any of the fun and gambling. Looks great from a distance, get up close and you can't fail to notice it's rotten to the core.

Enjoy your trip :)
From receips and radials over straight pipes to big fans - been there, done that, got the hearing defects to prove

Dahlgardo

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Oman is much more authentic, interesting and sightseeing-worthy. #2 of course very much depends on how many days you plan to spend there.

I cannot agree more.
Oman is one of the best places I've ever been to.
It is a true oasis of authenticity and peace in the Middle East.
Beautiful nature too.

If possible also do a daytrip to Hatta Springs and go for a swim in the desert.
I've heard rumours this place if now off limits to non UAE residents, but that could have changed.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

attyavgeek

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

Dubai is nice. I've been there a couple of times. If you want to see everything, do the Big Bus Hop on Hop off tour. Its reasonably priced and it gives you a complete tour of the whole city. You get on and off where ever you want. I had a great hotel for airplane spotting in the Diera area of Dubai.

RL777

Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 am

I think Dubai as a tourist destination is misplaced. Dubai as a quick 1-2 night stopover city is ideal, you don't need more than that to see the majority of the city unless your interested in some of the outlying activities. Now that being said, Dubai is still somewhere I'd suggest everybody visit at some point, the ridiculousness of certain buildings and infrastructure is remarkable to take in.

directorguy

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:56 am

I must echo some of the sentiments of the other posters. While Dubai is perfectly fine to visit from Saudi Arabia, or India, Iran, or as a stopover on a longer journey (e.g. Europe to Asia/Australia), visiting it all the way for the US? Unless you are combining it with a visit to Istanbul, for example. And this is from someone who has lived in Dubai and continues to visit almost every month (for family and work reasons).
My suggestions: Go to the Dubai Museum in Bastakiyya, Bur Dubai. Visit the Museum, then simply walk around. Bur Dubai is one of the "old Dubai" districts (the other is Deira, across the Creek) and it is a multi-ethnic multi-lingual neighbourhood where very few Arabs live. Overwhelmingly Indian in terms of character and demographic. Look at the shops, and stop at a super-busy Indian restaurant for lunch or dinner.
You can go to Shindagha in Deira, or Baniyas Square, and do a tour on your own as well.
October is the shoulder season, weather becomes more pleasant, and more activities. You should make a note to check Time Out Dubai, Gulf News, the National (all major local publications), as well as the Visit Dubai website right before your visit to see what's happening during your stay in Dubai.
Also, go to Sharjah. Visit the Blue Mosque. If you are into museums, check out the Museum of Islamic Art in Sharjah.
All taxis in Dubai are metered and regulated, and Uber also works there (all cars are Lexus!).

Will you be going on your own? And how many nights are you staying? Is it all set in stone?

jnev3289

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:19 pm

I studied abroad in Sharjah, a neighboring Emirate in the UAE and have gone back to Dubai every year since (6 years in a row now). It is by far my favorite place to take a vacation and there is always something new to do and see each year I come back. If you PM me, I can send you my itinerary from last year when my wife and I took my parents, brother, and all my in laws. We were there for a week and barely had any time to rest. Not to mention some of the best food I've ever had was in Dubai.

n729pa

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:19 pm

[quote="L410Turbolet"]Opinions?
Dubai is currently THE most overrated tourist destination. Shopping malls in a desert. Place without a soul

Absolutely correct! All show little substance.

Been twice.....last time was a day trip from LHR.!

City bus hop on hop off bus I would recommend. Big Bus Tours have 3 routes each about 2 hours. Pick up from the main malls. Covers the palm,the old town, the marina etc.

Go up the Burj Khalifa ...pay a bit more and go all the way to the top you might as well. But there's only so long you can spend up there and don't go up first thing there's to much haze and it limits what you can see in the distance.

jnev3289

Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:06 pm

I'm really dumbfounded that people are saying Dubai is boring... Must not be doing much research on things to do there

FlyRow

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 pm

I forgot one thing, go to the public tours of The mosque, really amazing!
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

CosmicCruiser

Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 pm

follow their customs and don't do anything stupid. Check out the ski slope in the Emirates Mall. Buy the hat and chk the box. The water taxi is a neat moment too.

n729pa

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:20 pm

jnev3289 wrote:
I'm really dumbfounded that people are saying Dubai is boring... Must not be doing much research on things to do there

I don't think you're reading the posts properly. Most of us are saying it's overrated. Boring and overrated are not the same thing. I know people who actually live there and agree, there's only so much shopping you can do in a day and if you don't work...there is little to do.

I travel alot so I know how to research my trips as I'm sure others do too. Dubai is an interesting place to see or experience once but it is no London Paris Berlin Sydney Tokyo or Rome.

jnev3289

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 pm

n729pa wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:

I don't think you're reading the posts properly. Most of us are saying it's overrated. Boring and overrated are not the same thing. I know people who actually live there and agree, there's only so much shopping you can do in a day and if you don't work...there is little to do.

I travel alot so I know how to research my trips as I'm sure others do too. Dubai is an interesting place to see or experience once but it is no London Paris Berlin Sydney Tokyo or Rome.

I guess it's just me who would consider only shopping to be boring then.