Lemieux
Topic Author

Easiest way to get around St. Maarten?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 am

Good evening ladies and gents, going to SXM for the first time tomorrow, was wondering what the most effective way to get around is, taxi? Bike? other vehicle? Also if there's anything that I should do (sans Maho and Sunset bar) let me know, thanks everyone!
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

spacecadet

Re: Easiest way to get around St. Maarten?

Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 am

Rent a car. All the major car rental brands are there, along with some locals. I have only used the majors and have been fine. And it's not expensive at all to rent there.

The island is too big and hilly to navigate by bike, not to mention hot at this time of year. The roads are also very narrow and busy, so it's very dangerous to bike on.

The only time I'd recommend *not* renting a car is if you're staying at one of the large resorts and you don't plan on leaving much or exploring much of the island. Personally, whenever I've gone my attitude has been more "where can we go today?" so I'm constantly driving. The must-do's on the island are really spread out. Grand Case for food, Phillipsburg for the boardwalk and to watch the cruise ships, Orient Beach for the "big beach" feel, Mullet Bay for the quiet beach feel, Marigot for shopping, more food, and day trips by boat, etc. All definitely available by taxi, but it's just better all around value to have your own vehicle IMO.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

jetwet1

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 am

Pretty much what Spacecadet says, if we are there for the day, we use cabs (they are everywhere), more than a day, we rent a car (get the insurance), don't even think about renting a bike, there is also a mini bus system around the island and group taxis at the major spots, those are the best deals/time things in my mins, it was $8 pp each way from Philipsburg to Maho, Philipsburg to Orient was $10, if you take a cab by yourself it's $40, so go as part a group.

As was mentioned, Mullet Bay, love, love, LOVE that beach, even though it has now been rediscovered, it's can still be pretty quiet and there are a couple of bars/food joints there.....Darn it i'm blanking on the name of the one we spent a day at, but they have a drink called the chocolate lady, very refreshing on a hot day.

aeromoe

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Stand behind a plane taking off...that'll blow you someplace for free.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K