Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Idlewildspotter
Topic Author

When's the last time your captain used full power for takeoff?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:59 pm

When's the last time your captain used full power for takeoff? It is extremely rare.

State the:

1 Aircraft Type
2 Route
3 Weather conditions
4 Airplane load (if known)
5 Other notes

Idlewildspotter
Topic Author

Re: When's the last time your captain used full power for takeoff?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:06 pm

When's the last time you used full throttle

masgniw

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:15 pm

How would you really be able to tell as a passenger, especially one with a relatively untrained ear?

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 pm

I agree that you never know if full throttle is being used or not. Sometimes a plane can have a pretty strong take-off run without full throttle and sometimes even with full throttle it takes a while to build up speed. It all depends on the type of aircraft, the weight of the payload and fuel and the power of the engines.

In general, full throttle is more likely to be applied on short runways but even there it's not always needed.

ACDC8

Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 pm

How do you know that it's the captain at the controls?

;)

ryan78

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:41 pm

I was in the jumpseat on a flight from YYT-YYZ a few years ago (doing my familiarization flight) and RWY 11/29 in St. John's was under construction and closed and 15/34 was shortened to the intersection of 11/29 and we only had a TORA of something like 5900 ft. 737-800, 186 pax, couldn't remember the total fuel, wet runway with light rain, I watched the number on the EICAS climb and max out at 94.4 just before rotation. Was definitely a fun takeoff to be able to view from the flight deck.

Another good takeoff roll was back in April, flying SXM-YYZ on an A310. Flight was almost full, I beleive 238 pax of 250 seats. We took-off towards the beach and rotated around taxiway C, airborne by B, probably around a 6000ft takeoff roll on an A310! This is purely from a passenger standpoint though, I fly roughly 40-50 times a year so I can feel the difference between a powerful takeoff roll and a normal reduced thrust T/O. I have no idea if these were "Full-Power" but I'd bet money that they were not, it's very rare, especially in commercial aviation with passengers. That kind of performance is usually only for testing and demonstrations, or in rare cases very short or hot/high runways, Rio-Santos Dumont comes to mind! :D

fbgdavidson

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm

The only time I've ever been informed of the power used for takeoff was on a BD flight on an A320 from BRU-LHR about 10yrs ago. The airport had been closed for a while because of snow and we were one of the only flights out that evening, the captain informed us we were going to use 110% power as only part of the runway had been cleared. The noise and rapid acceleration was particularly noticeable

VapourTrails

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 am

masgniw wrote:
How would you really be able to tell as a passenger, especially one with a relatively untrained ear?

I would never know, unless I was sitting in the jumpseat LOL and that is not an option.

I recall a flight I was on where we seemed to have an incredible climb and were just going up for a long time, and a bit steeper than average I thought. It was awesome. More to do with weather or ATC than anything else I would assume. Doesn't mean full power was applied in that instance. :airplane:

CaptnSnow71

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:36 pm

AMS-ARN on a Scandinavian 737-600. I don't know for sure it it was full throttle, but was by far the most powerful takeoff I've ever experienced. The captain/FO didn't increase power incrementally, but rather as soon as we got onto the runway, he slammed that thing into full/very nearly full power. Very quick takeoff and extremely fast climb.

DaveFly

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Without having any information from the flight crew, the only one I can recall was an AA MD-80 from ABQ-ORD. Since it was summer, the captain ordered offloading of cargo and pax. I know that ABQ has a long runway, but the high/hot conditions -- the captain sat on the brakes while the engines revved, we rumbled down the long runway, and we finally lifted off while the wings shuddered and vibrated. It made me very uneasy, even after hundreds of flights. That had to be a full-throttle takeoff.

tb727

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:20 am

I did a TOGA out of EWR a couple months ago in a 321 with only 64 pax. That was a lot of fun, she got up and went. There was LLWS reported with strong, gusty winds. I was flying the leg as the FO and we both decided that a TOGA takeoff was what the conditions warranted. We don't do them often on the Airbus.

On the 727 we were required one every 7 days and had something called Max Blast Monday's where if we flew on a Monday, we would just do one. We were close to max weight a lot though so we did them quite often. Sometimes the airplanes wouldn't fly for a while and the first takeoff always had to be one after a long sit.

e38

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 am

Idlewildspotter, when you are traveling as a passenger on an airplane, how do you know what thrust level is used for takeoff?

e38

MHG

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Last time I experienced a max power t/o was in 2010.

Cirrus Airlines
Dornier Do 328
D-CIRC
MHG (Mannheim, Germany) to TXL (Berlin Tegel, Germany)

Easy to be sure of max power t/o because the runway at MHG has a TORA of only 3675 ft with obstacle shortly behind runway end (elevated road).
So, pilots can´t take a risk in case of engine failure.
Better be airborne as early as possible ...

Max power take off at MHG is standard procedure.

TOGA10

Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:06 pm

MHG wrote:
Last time I experienced a max power t/o was in 2010.

Cirrus Airlines
Dornier Do 328
D-CIRC
MHG (Mannheim, Germany) to TXL (Berlin Tegel, Germany)

Easy to be sure of max power t/o because the runway at MHG has a TORA of only 3675 ft with obstacle shortly behind runway end (elevated road).
So, pilots can´t take a risk in case of engine failure.
Better be airborne as early as possible ...

Max power take off at MHG is standard procedure.

For every take off you do, you calculate the V speeds, stopping margin etc. I'm pretty sure if you're light enough, you could still use flex/derate/reduced power from that runway. If not, that would imply your always right in the edges regardless of weights/winds/temp etc.
But not familiar with that airport nor the SOP's of the Do-328, so I might be wrong!

On topic, last time I did one was in the sim the other day ;-). Difficult from a pax view, as full power on a heavy a/c might still feel less 'powerful' compared to reduced thrust in a very light a/c.

T1a

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:19 pm

On the Q400 we have to do one MTOP (Bombardier Word for TOGA) every day. So at my airline we do them in every first flight of the day. Actually on the Q400 you do them a lot. Every TO in icing conditions below the acceleration altitude has to be performed as NTOP for example.

fallap

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:07 pm

1. General Dynamics F16B
2. Joy ride around the Airbase
3. Sun and clouds
4. Unarmed
5. Full Afterburner take-off

evank516

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:53 pm

737-700
EYW-ATL
Partly cloudy, light winds out of the ESE
4,801 foot runway

Pretty sure these are always full throttle take offs. Aren't most take offs from SNA full throttle too?

PITingres

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 pm

This is going back almost 10 years now, but SNA-ATL takeoffs were often pretty high power at first. Whether they were truly full power, I have no way of knowing, but that's what the captains would claim on the PA. (They usually announced when we were going to go from a standing start, run-up with brakes on.) Great fun when it was a 757. I haven't flown out of SNA for several years, though.