Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Jet2 introduced a fee to ‘guarantee’ that cabin baggage does not go the hold

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 am

Link/Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... =applenews

"Jet2 introduced a fee to ‘guarantee’ that cabin baggage does not go the hold"
"Prices start at £2.59 per person per bag each way, raising a couple's fare by £10"
"Ryanair does not have a hand luggage fee but only the first 90 people to board are guaranteed to keep their bags with them and it charges extra to board first"

"As families jet off for their summer holidays this weekend, the fees are likely to infuriate passengers already frustrated by having to pay for add-ons such as choosing their seats. "
"Wizz Air, another low-cost airline, was this week forced to scrap a £9 fee for larger cabin bags following a backlash  from 'confused' customers."

"Guy Anker, from finance website Moneysavingexpert.com, said: ‘Gone are the days when passengers pay the headline price for a flight. I think people will be quite rightly annoyed by this. "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4nYE0H5Mt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

While certainly, not Spirit carry-on baggage prices, they are certainly taking notes from this side of the ocean.

PatrickZ80

Re: Jet2 introduced a fee to ‘guarantee’ that cabin baggage does not go the hold

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:42 am

And what happens if too many people pay this fee to keep their hand luggage in the cabin and it still doesn't fit?

On the long term, I think it's up to Boeing and Airbus to build aircraft with larger overhead bins to ensure that the increasing amount of hand luggage fits on board. Until then, maybe they can remove the last row of seats and create a hand luggage storage there. But I think having hand luggage in the cabin is a basic right that you shouldn't charge extra for.

RoySFlying

Re: Jet2 introduced a fee to ‘guarantee’ that cabin baggage does not go the hold

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:00 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

I think it's up to Boeing and Airbus to build aircraft with larger overhead bins to ensure that the increasing amount of hand luggage fits on board.

Aircraft manufacturers have already done exactly that. Compare a typical overhead locker today with the hat racks that were originally found. The hatracks were designed for hats, small bags or overcoats. Today's storage accommodates large roll-ons and last minute duty free shopping. Creating extra space might seem to be an answer but won't we just see more people trying to bring on even more baggage?

r2rho

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 am

Aircraft manufacturers have already done exactly that. Compare a typical overhead locker today with the hat racks that were originally found.

Not really. Manufacturers have lagged a generation behind the market in that aspect. Only now is Airbus introducing larger bins on the A320 family, which will help mitigate the problem, but not solve it. Boarding a 180-seat A320 in Europe these days is a hellish battle for overhead space - and I'm talking LH, not necessarily FR. Boeing was somewhat ahead with its Sky Interior on the 737. But both are still behind the needs of their times.

Perhaps we need to question the entire baggage handling concept at airports and airlines, a relic from the Glory Days of luxurious flying, and design the future short haul aircraft for this different reality.

raylee67

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 am

Once you add all those fees, these so called ULCCs are not cheap at all. Unless you are really flying solo with no bags whatsoever. I am just looking at the fare of a intra-European 3-hr flight. It's served by 2 traditional airlines and 3 LCC/ULCC. It turns out that the traditional carriers offer the cheapest overall price. And the difference is quite significant actually.

Spiderguy252

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Until then, maybe they can remove the last row of seats and create a hand luggage storage there.

Are we referring to the same airlines who are happy to halve galley space to accommodate a set of lavatories?

b4thefall

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 am

It's worth mentioning that if you are on a package deal with Jet2holidays, you still get a free hold bag up to 22kg, which is very generous in my opinion. As far as I am aware, the vast majority of Jet2 passengers are on packages, so this fee shouldn't effect them.

Only a few weeks ago I flew from the UK to Spain on Jet2, and was absolutely amazed at the amount of unused space in the overhead bins, despite the fact that the flights were 100% full both ways. I would guess that the bins were only filled to about 60-70% capacity. First time in YEARS I've seen bins so empty, unless on a very lightly loaded flight. We were even flying on a 737-300, still fitted with the factory installed bins, which were (are) noticeably less spacious than their modern counterparts.

It seems that the vast majority of passengers (including myself) took full advantage of the free hold luggage allowance, and only brought the minimum into the cabin. I brought a plastic bag with a bottle of water, bag of crisps, and a magazine. It was such a pleasant experience. Boarding went very smoothly.

This is in stark contrast to the Ryanair, EasyJet etc.. flights I have taken on similar routes, where it is a flight to the death for every last inch of space in the bins.

That was my 1st time ever flying with jet2holidays, and I would certainly travel with them again. I should also note, that despite the fact that the 737-300 was fitted with 149 seats, the seat design that Jet2 use gives a surprising amount of knee space. I had no complaints, and i'm 6ft1!

smokeybandit

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 am

How about a fee for those that insist on bringing entirely too large carry ons on board? Or a fee for those who put their baggage in the front of the plane despite there being lots of room near their seats in the back of the plane?

sevenair

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:25 pm

It's an optional fee no different to priority boarding. It's guaranteeing your bag goes into the cabin. Few airlines can guarantee this. So you pay a small fee and it's guaranteed. You can still bring a bag on for free but it won't be guaranteed.

Going the other way, easyJet are offering 'hands free' where you can put your cabin size bag in the hold for £4 at check in.

TheGeordielad

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 pm

b4thefall wrote:
It's worth mentioning that if you are on a package deal with Jet2holidays, you still get a free hold bag up to 22kg, which is very generous in my opinion. As far as I am aware, the vast majority of Jet2 passengers are on packages, so this fee shouldn't effect them.

Only a few weeks ago I flew from the UK to Spain on Jet2, and was absolutely amazed at the amount of unused space in the overhead bins, despite the fact that the flights were 100% full both ways. I would guess that the bins were only filled to about 60-70% capacity. First time in YEARS I've seen bins so empty, unless on a very lightly loaded flight. We were even flying on a 737-300, still fitted with the factory installed bins, which were (are) noticeably less spacious than their modern counterparts.

It seems that the vast majority of passengers (including myself) took full advantage of the free hold luggage allowance, and only brought the minimum into the cabin. I brought a plastic bag with a bottle of water, bag of crisps, and a magazine. It was such a pleasant experience. Boarding went very smoothly.

This is in stark contrast to the Ryanair, EasyJet etc.. flights I have taken on similar routes, where it is a flight to the death for every last inch of space in the bins.

That was my 1st time ever flying with jet2holidays, and I would certainly travel with them again. I should also note, that despite the fact that the 737-300 was fitted with 149 seats, the seat design that Jet2 use gives a surprising amount of knee space. I had no complaints, and i'm 6ft1!

Jet2 is a great airline for leg room.The seats on them are great as there's lots of room to stretch your legs under.

shamrock350

Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:49 pm

r2rho wrote:
Aircraft manufacturers have already done exactly that. Compare a typical overhead locker today with the hat racks that were originally found.

Not really. Manufacturers have lagged a generation behind the market in that aspect. Only now is Airbus introducing larger bins on the A320 family, which will help mitigate the problem, but not solve it. Boarding a 180-seat A320 in Europe these days is a hellish battle for overhead space - and I'm talking LH, not necessarily FR. Boeing was somewhat ahead with its Sky Interior on the 737. But both are still behind the needs of their times.

Perhaps we need to question the entire baggage handling concept at airports and airlines, a relic from the Glory Days of luxurious flying, and design the future short haul aircraft for this different reality.

I've been on a number of Ryanair flights with the Sky Interior recently and it's been nothing but problems during boarding. Boeing market the new overhead lockers as being able to fit six standard size carry on bags on their side but this is impossible in reality as everyone has different size and shaped bags and it also leaves zero room for smaller bags like backpacks that passengers insist on squeezing into every gap available. Cabin crew have told me they think passengers are confused by the shape and the amount of space available, they themselves find it a little deceptive when trying to rearrange bags. So despite the extra space apparently available with new Sky Interior, Ryanair still strictly enforce the first 90 bags rule and has even threatened to return to the strictly one bag per passenger policy it dropped a year or two ago as part of its "nicer" image.

Meanwhile at Wizz Air, the airline I fly the most in Europe, I've yet to see any issues with stowing cabin baggage despite 180 passengers and a standard A320 overhead locker. Wizz are very strict, it's strictly one bag only and that can either be a free small bag like a handbag or small backpack or a paid for roll on bag, nothing else is allowed. The only time you can bring tow bags is if you've purchased priority boarding and very, very few people do that with Wizz so there's never much of an issue with stowing luggage. Now they've dropped the carry on bag charge I fear they may see an influx of cabin baggage as people take advantage and they may be forced to introduce a simile 90 bag rule.

Airbus really do need larger bins though, I was disappointed with the NEO cabin as it just seems the exact same but at least different offerings are available like what Delta has done with pivot bins but that cabin should have come as standard with Airbus and not a third party company.

r2rho

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:47 am

Wizz Air, the airline I fly the most in Europe, I've yet to see any issues with stowing cabin baggage despite 180 passengers and a standard A320 overhead locker. Wizz are very strict, it's strictly one bag only and that can either be a free small bag like a handbag or small backpack or a paid for roll on bag, nothing else is allowed

Sure, but your lack of problems have nothing to do with the A320's bins, but with Wizz's fees for standard-size hand baggage + very tight rules for a free small hand bag. Remove those restrictions, and you get a battle to the death, like on a VY or LH 180-seat A320 (no distinction between LCC or legacy anymore in Europe).