Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mmx747
Topic Author

When a LCC flight gets cancelled..

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:30 pm

A couple years back I was due to fly LAX-LHR on AA when it got cancelled due to engine issues. AA kindly provided me and my friend with a free night stay at the airport Marriott with dinner/lunch and breakfast vouchers included.

Would this have been provided if it was a LCC like for example Norwegian or WOW?

MesaFlyGuy

Re: When a LCC flight gets cancelled..

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:46 pm

It depends on the airline's policy I guess. I worked for a US domestic ULCC and, if there was a maintenance issue and we couldn't put you on another airline that same day, you got a hotel and meal vouchers. If we could get you out that day, you still got meal vouchers depending on the length of time before your next flight.

XAM2175

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:53 am

No. They would have given you a small sack of straw (reused from the last delay) and directions to the smoker's shelter via a shop from which you could steal a blanket.

(but really for the sarcasm-challenged it is going to depend so much on which airline, registered in which country, when, where, what, applicable legislation, individual customer service policy, etc etc)

PatrickZ80

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:04 am

There are certain things they have to provide by law, so they are to provide at least that. If they need to put you in a hotel they will do so. Of course it won't be the most luxury hotel, but it's a hotel.

citationjet

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:34 pm

Southwest does not have agreements with other airlines. If their flight cancels, they cannot "rule 240" you onto any other airline.

eielef

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:49 pm

What if Ryanair cancels a flight? Say out from Tenerife, a long flight back to Europe. Do you expect them to pay your accommodation? Are there enough hotels to put 180 stranded passengers, on a very busy july night?

debonair

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 am

I can only speak for easyjet, they are providing hotels - or if you are not happy with there choice, you can book your own accommodation with refund of max. 80GBP. easyjet paid also hotels in the past, even it was not there fault /like bad weather at station).
Only negative about U2, you can either choose full refund of your paid ticket OR rebooking to the NEXT AVAILABLE U2 flight - no alternative transport. But, you can book your own alternative, which should cost equally the same as paid for the U2 ticket and claim the money back...

MichianaOrthx

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:56 pm

This is my hesitation when it comes to flying F9 or NK, they stretch their operations thin and if your flight gets cancelled then your chances of getting out on another same day flight are slim.

rjsampson

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Well, I can speak for a US experience on Frontier (which re-structured as an ULCC): And it really sucked:

The aircraft had squelch problem with one of the radios when everyone was on board (on a brand-new A320). They tried to control-alt-delete the aircraft. We were delayed 2 hours while the mechanics tried to swap it out. [Being the pilot geek I am, I was in the cockpit during startup, and saw the radio continued to squelch after the APU spun-up. The Captain gave me the "thumbs down" sign]. I went back to my seat, telling my seatmate "we're not going anywhere on this plane". But we were only off-boarded over an hour later.

None of us could re-booked of other airlines, because Frontier had no agreements to be able do so.

Eventually, another F8 aircraft arrived 14 hours after of our scheduled departure time. It was "wheels up" after a total delay of 16 hours. (I missed a critical meeting, as a result). I had a $10 meal voucher in the meantime... And successful departure was late into the next morning.

My compensation: A month later, I got an apology e-mail from Frontier, with $100 voucher to be put towards another Frontier flight -- and only good for 90 days. Needless to say, I didn't use it.

flymia

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I just booked my first flight on Sprit airlines in years. I flew then once before in December 2008. Anyway, the scheduled work well and its for a very short day trip for work. The Big Front Seat was only $26 round trip too.

I specifically read the terms and conditions though and its the last flight out that night and I know the airline has some issues. If its the airline's fault they will book a hotel for you at the airline's cost. However, these days its pretty easy to state weather or ATC caused the delays.

But if NK will book a hotel if its their fault, I assume any large passenger airline would.

DesertAir

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:28 pm

citationjet wrote:
Southwest does not have agreements with other airlines. If their flight cancels, they cannot "rule 240" you onto any other airline.

What I like about Southwest is their [I]get you to your destination actitud[I]. When a flight is cancelled they make every effort to rebook you on the next flight or alternative routing to your destination. This might be a problem if it is the last flight of the day and the next flight might be the next morning. I have flown the SAN-SMF route monthly for 8 years and have had one cancelation. I was booked on the next flight.