gtargui
Topic Author

4 people booked seperate tickets but traveling together, will we get seats close to each other?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Hello everyone

I'm going to be flying MAN-AMS-HGH with KL with 3 other people in about 6 weeks.

I am wondering if when passengers who don't have seats check in (be it online or at the check-in desk), are they assigned random seats, or are they given sequential seats (21A, 21B, 21C, 21D etc.) in the order they check in?

We're not too fussed about being sat near each other, but it would still be nice.

ryan78

Re: 4 people booked seperate tickets but traveling together, will we get seats close to each other?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 am

I have no idea how airline res systems work, from my understanding they are random and sporadic. What I would suggest is that you and your travel companions check in online 24hr before departure and choose seats in the same row. That would be the best way and I see no reason that you couldn't find 4 seats together if you check in online as soon as it becomes available. I wouldn't wait till the check-in desk to relocate your seats as it'll be tougher a few hours before the flight to find 4 empty seats if the flight is near full.

CaptnSnow71

Re: 4 people booked seperate tickets but traveling together, will we get seats close to each other?

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:56 am

If they can still reserve seats, they should. Chances are it's gonna be random seating. Some airlines like Southwest are first come first serve.

Otherwise, if you all are at the gate together, talk with the airline rep and see what they can do for you. A lot of the times they're do their best, based on availability of seats, of course.

n729pa

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 am

10 of us went to Hamburg last December on BA and we had no option because we'd taken the cheapest fare, with no seat selection which for a short flight isn't too much of a problem.

But I think from memory with KLM you can select your seats on check in, based on what's left. That is not to say of course you'll find all the seats you want together.
Alternatively you could go back to your booking and pay for allocated seats. From memory it's about £7-10 LHR-AMS so would imagine MAN-AMS much the same, the longer flight I don't know but could be £15+£20+ per head. Depends how much you like your fellow passengers :)

My friend and I flew out to SYD last year, as a QF FF I was able to select my seats, he wasn't but on check in QF put us together and even blocked out the centre seat all the way down to SYD for us. They did the same on the way back too - obviously the flight wasn't 100% full but pretty close. That's the third option - ask on check in at the airport, if you're not checking in on line before hand.

debonair

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 am

You can send an email to KLM, asking if it would be possible to link the bookings...