Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

Worst Liveries?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm sure this isn't the first thread of this, but thought it might be an interesting discussion.

I'm going to have to say Philippines. Thing looks like it was designed in Microsoft Word.

georgiaame

Re: Worst Liveries?

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Nope. Worst, probably of all times and all places easily goes to Southwest. Can ANYONE find any redeeming qualities? Okay, it isn't Eurowhite, so thats one. Anything? Anyone?

maortega15

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 pm

The PR livery is actually one of my favorites. I love the tail. But wouldn't mind them getting a new scheme. With the Philippines having so many beaches and all, they could mimic some of the other airlines in the Pacific with so much color. Air Tahiti Nui, Hawaiian, Aircalin, etc. come to mind.

There are other bad liveries out there especially with what they had previously.

China Eastern
LATAM
Avianca
Iberia

I'm undecided on Cathay Pacific and JAL. I'm not sure if I like them or not especially with what they had before.

res77W

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:39 pm

maortega15 wrote:
The PR livery is actually one of my favorites. I love the tail. But wouldn't mind them getting a new scheme. With the Philippines having so many beaches and all, they could mimic some of the other airlines in the Pacific with so much color. Air Tahiti Nui, Hawaiian, Aircalin, etc. come to mind.

There are other bad liveries out there especially with what they had previously.

China Eastern
LATAM
Avianca
Iberia

I'm undecided on Cathay Pacific and JAL. I'm not sure if I like them or not especially with what they had before.

Agreed on PR, it's one of the eurowhite liveries I do like. CX's new livery looks unfinished, and it doesn't fit all of the planes in the fleet. NK's yellow livery is heinous.

-Rowen

CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 pm

georgiaame wrote:
Nope. Worst, probably of all times and all places easily goes to Southwest. Can ANYONE find any redeeming qualities? Okay, it isn't Eurowhite, so thats one. Anything? Anyone?

Really? I like the new livery ok. But that old brown livery they had was disgusting Image

maortega15

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm

res77W wrote:
CX's new livery looks unfinished, and it doesn't fit all of the planes in the fleet.

Not just unfinished, but a lot of things don't seem to be in the right place or are just redundant. First the grey stripe. While I like it, it seems redundant since nothing is filling that space. Either you move the titles down, or move the stripe up. Next, the brushwing by the nose. Once again, you move the titles down, or you move the brushwing up on the title's level. It kinda looks in an odd place. Speaking of the brushwing, you have a solid green tail with a white brushwing while the other two brushwings are solid green. There is no cohesion. Unless it's an Airbus or a 744F, it just doesn't look right. At lest they could have done is make the brushwing by the nose white but outline it in green.

A truly missed opportunity for a once great airline.

res77W

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 pm

maortega15 wrote:
res77W wrote:
CX's new livery looks unfinished, and it doesn't fit all of the planes in the fleet.

Not just unfinished, but a lot of things don't seem to be in the right place or are just redundant. First the grey stripe. While I like it, it seems redundant since nothing is filling that space. Either you move the titles down, or move the stripe up. Next, the brushwing by the nose. Once again, you move the titles down, or you move the brushwing up on the title's level. It kinda looks in an odd place. Speaking of the brushwing, you have a solid green tail with a white brushwing while the other two brushwings are solid green. There is no cohesion. Unless it's an Airbus or a 744F, it just doesn't look right. At lest they could have done is make the brushwing by the nose white but outline it in green.

I personally think that CX should have just updated the titles, a la China Airlines and called it good. The livery wasn't broken.

-Rowen

maortega15

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 pm

res77W wrote:
maortega15 wrote:
res77W wrote:

I personally think that CX should have just updated the titles, a la China Airlines and called it good. The livery wasn't broken.

-Rowen

They should've just used the money to improve the product and service. :duck:

maortega15

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I'll add Egyptair and Malaysian too. Blue doesn't really fit well with Egypt and with Malaysian, they really need consistency!

res77W

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

maortega15 wrote:
I'll add Egyptair and Malaysian too. Blue doesn't really fit well with Egypt and with Malaysian, they really need consistency!

maortega15, we're on the same wavelength when it comes to liveries. The new MH livery release last week I believe is the best one, and should be released fleet wide.

-Rowen

jnev3289

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

The new Air Canada... Inexplicable

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:35 pm

CaptnSnow71 wrote:
Really? I like the new livery ok. But that old brown livery they had was disgusting

Today, I'd agree with you. However, you got to see it in the face of time and in those days it was a very acceptable design. Of course by now it would be highly outdated, that's why it was replaced.

Nothing wrong with the current new Southwest livery.

What's really up for replacement is anything with a cheatline. Yes, there are still airlines that have cheatlines! Meridiana for example. But then, Alitalia also has only just begun to remove the cheatline from their livery so I guess Italians don't give too much about it.

global2

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 am

res77W wrote:
maortega15 wrote:

NK's yellow livery is heinous.

-Rowen

Agreed regarding Spirit--simply hideous.
China Eastern looks unprofessional.

CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 am

[/quote]

Agreed regarding Spirit--simply hideous.
China Eastern looks unprofessional.[/quote]

That's the same issue I have with PR. Looks unprofessional.

In addition I've gotta say EVA air's Hello Kitty theme. I get it's a part of their culture and whatnot but it seems like something that doesn't belong on an airplane.

Carp12c

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 am

jnev3289 wrote:
The new Air Canada... Inexplicable

I personally like the new Air Canada livery... The AC livery seems like a throwback in my mind, which is pretty cool...
Now the worst livery out there has got to be Continited, er I mean, United piss poor attempt. It screams 90s to me and that freaking Deathstar/Globe needs to go.

AirbusA343

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:51 pm

The new AC one, Air China and any airline with an Air China-style livery.

AviationEurope

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:17 am

maortega15 wrote:

China Eastern
LATAM
Avianca
Iberia

Have to say I really like LATAM, Avianca and Iberia's new liveries - simple, modern, clean, fresh. I quite like the simplistic look generally.

It's difficult to pick 'the worst', but I'm not really too keen on:

1. Air Meridiana - while it may have once looked good, to me it looks very dated now and in need of changing along with the logo.
2. Scandinavian Airlines - quite iconic but I don't really think that the grey colour that they've used for most of the fuselage and the text looks particuarly good.
3. China Eastern Airlines - very plain and uncreative.
4. SunExpress - don't really like the style as it looks quite dated to me.

These were just a few that came to my head and I'm sure there are worse!

LX138

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 pm

I've always liked the Philippines scheme, a timeless classic. Yes the font could be updated but then they'd only be jumping on the bandwagon with something new.

Iberia - the designer needs naming and shaming, one of the biggest mess-ups in livery history. I mean what were they thinking?
China Eastern - yes awful
Alitalia - the update seems like a re-position of the old scheme and with that no real change of identity, which is what they need, lastly probably cost a load of money which they don't have.
Rossiya - very communist looking, but I think thats the look they are trying to go for

Devilfish

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:27 pm

CaptnSnow71 wrote:
I'm going to have to say Philippines. Thing looks like it was designed in Microsoft Word.

CaptnSnow71 wrote:

Would you rather have something like this..... :?: .....

maortega15 wrote:

This OEM practice of stretching airframes to increase capacity has resulted in seemingly slim fuselages and narrow vertical stabilizers -- making airline specific paint schemes disproportional. Perhaps PR could extend the blue and red field on the tail down to the fuse and relocate the flag and registration elsewhere...but it may not be as nice. :scratchchin:

LX138 wrote:
I've always liked the Philippines scheme, a timeless classic. Yes the font could be updated but then they'd only be jumping on the bandwagon with something new.

The title is swamped by the long, white expanse of the fuselage. A new, all uppercase font in color might work. Otherwise, just spell out the whole airline name as before to fill a bit more of the blank space...and preserve the 'classic' look. :cheerful:

ChrisKen

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm

This heap of ancient turd

PPVLC

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:33 am

ChrisKen wrote:
This heap of ancient turd

I agree on that, some bare metal liveries can look good on certain planes but on AA's 747 it looked simply brutalist.

CaptnSnow71
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 am

Devilfish wrote:
CaptnSnow71 wrote:

CaptnSnow71 wrote:

Would you rather have something like this..... :?: .....

Not really. It's more of the PR font that gets me, but as far as unprofessionalism goes they're both pretty bad.

Amazing how much opinions differ.

dredgy

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 am

The Star Alliance livery - the livery itself isn't too bad, but I want to see the livery of the airline I'm flying! I always get letdown when I see it .
Also don't like Frontier with their different tail fins.

CarlosSi

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am

Looks like everyone's gotten comfy with a once controversial livery since it hasn't been mentioned once here: American's.

I won't list it here since it's not a bad livery and that'd be off-topic! (the logo is the problem, IMO)

Iberia: bland, also trashed it's "IB" logo and the font-case on the Iberia titles looks like that of any other; I liked the slant.

Honorable mentions:
JAL and China Eastern: way too bland (almost all white!), but kudos for the Tsurumaru. Just a bit of belly or engine paint and they could be pretty cool liveries.

ACDC8

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 pm

I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more until they finally coming up with something fresh and creative ...

WestJet

... bland, boring, thoughtless, lifeless, outdated and just down right yawn - not one redeeming quality at all. Just a simple update, like extending the tail colours down on to the back of the fuselage and maybe larger titles. Just a little tweak can go a long way to make something look good.

767333ER

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:06 am

ACDC8 wrote:
I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more until they finally coming up with something fresh and creative ...

WestJet

... bland, boring, thoughtless, lifeless, outdated and just down right yawn - not one redeeming quality at all. Just a simple update, like extending the tail colours down on to the back of the fuselage and maybe larger titles. Just a little tweak can go a long way to make something look good.

And why is this the case? Because it was designed in the 90s when everything was plain and was teal or green. It was good back then, but it has aged and probably needs to be replaced with something newer, even just a refresh.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:19 pm

One of the worst, too minimalist and bland as a whole and too much in your face with the titles, and it got worse with the 77W.

maortega15

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:34 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
One of the worst, too minimalist and bland as a whole and too much in your face with the titles, and it got worse with the 77W.

I liked the previous rendition better.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 pm

CaptnSnow71 wrote:
georgiaame wrote:

Really? I like the new livery ok. But that old brown livery they had was disgusting Image

Competing in the same category...

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:30 pm

maortega15 wrote:
I liked the previous rendition better.

It was indeed still more stylish than what they have now.

ACDC8

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:32 pm

767333ER wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

WestJet

And why is this the case? Because it was designed in the 90s when everything was plain and was teal or green. It was good back then, but it has aged and probably needs to be replaced with something newer, even just a refresh.

It's just bland. There's nothing wrong with the colors - but the don't flow. It was terrible from the get go, but being a new carrier it made sense. Now that they're established and taken a completely different path from the orignal course - it's time to update it.

alfa164

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:25 am

CarlosSi wrote:
Looks like everyone's gotten comfy with a once controversial livery since it hasn't been mentioned once here: American's.

I, for one, haven't gotten comfy with it; I still rank it as hideous (especially that Air-Force-tanker-grey fuselage on an overcast day, and that in-your-face tail on any day).

And I haven't seen any state-owned airline in China - China Eastern, China Southern, Air China - that I wouldn't include among the worst...

RRTrent

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:20 pm

I mentioned in the "best livery" thread that AC's toothpaste was my fav, well the flip to that is the new AC livery is in my opinion hideous... but somehow, it still manages to not be the worst lol

Spirit, & EasyJet (new version) are my least fav's, Along with Delt... ehemm, Air Canada!

NC1844V

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:20 pm

I have to say the current United Airlines livery is the worst from a marketing standpoint. I was in an airport dinner the other day and over head some people talking about the airliners that were taking off. Upon departure of every United aircraft, they would say, there goes Continental. It seems to me, even though it says in big letters on the side, "UNITED", the majority of people think Continental is still flying.

I'd say that United needs a brand refresh for sure.

Chemist

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm

United has been best to worst. Best was the tulip. Worst was battleship grey. Current is in between.
Southwest old brown - completely agree, ugly. New Southwest looks nice.