Fly123123
Topic Author

DL routes going to AM - Quality of Service

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:23 pm

I hope someone who has insight in to the DL - AM relationship and its future plans reads a.net and can share some insight. Speaking from my own experiences, I am of the opinion that Delta has been improving its service during the past few years. Quite frankly, I have become a fan of DL.

In recent years AM seems to be going in a different direction than Delta when it comes to the quality of their service or the upkeep of their aircraft- including that of Aeromexico Connect. From being an airline with great customer service and nicely kept clean airplanes, AM seems to have simply stopped caring and has let itself go. Don't get me wrong, AM has some great employees, but there seems to be an attitude problem with way too many employees.

Being that DL used to fly several routes which DL is now turning over or "delegating" to AM (such as MTY-LAX , BJX-LAX, one of the MTY-ATL flights), does anyone know if DL has required that AM improves and ups its game and offer a more uniform travel experience comparable to the one Delta provides and its flyers deserve/expect? Is an upgrade/improvement by AM or Aerolitoral part of the agreement or expectation that DL has in regards to AM as it pertains to AM's treatment of passengers (in either cabin) or, FF upgrades policies (lack of formal policies at some AM stations), aircraft appearance, cleanliness and freshness of AMs equipment? How about if only for the aircraft that will be flying these previously operated DL routes? Is DL aware of such differences in quality of service?

EddieDude

Re: DL routes going to AM - Quality of Service

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I don't think AM has gotten worse; they have always been very inconsistent in how they treat passengers and how they cater their flights. DL is certainly keen on making AM improve its standards. DL has done a fantastic job with strategy and operational matters; now it is time for DL's improvements in customer comfort and service to be imitated by AM. I am sure they are working on it.

Americans who miss having a cocktail for free in economy during a flight, certainly appreciate AM's wine-beer-liquor policy. I hope that remains in the future.
Upcoming S4 0221 LIS-PDL A310-300!!!

flyboy80

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Regarding the cleanliness of the actual aircrafts, I think Delta planes tend to be pretty dirty when compared to some other N. American carriers.

ual777newpaint

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 pm

I've been wondering about this myself. There are a lot of areas where AM's operation pales in comparison to DL.

For example, upon arriving in MEX last January, on a paid F ticket, my bag did not show up on the carousel. The person (who barely spoke English) at the baggage desk said, "It must not have made it on the plane," and had me fill out a form with my address in the MEX area, and sent me on my way. When I got to my friend's house and checked the status of the claim, I found that my address had been entered incorrectly, and all I could do was look up its status in this extremely archaic website. The only way I could contact AM's baggage service department directly was via email.

If this had been DL, I could have checked the status of my bag via the Fly Delta app, as all DL bag tags are equipped with RFID chips which are scanned automatically whenever the bag is sorted, loaded, offloaded, etc.

Also, DL FF's receive only the basic Skyteam required benefits on AM, and AM has even started charging for assigned seats in the first half of the coach cabin. Skyteam Elite Plus members receive no fee waiver until 24 hours before departure, and it does not extend to even one companion. Real-world example: My family and I are traveling BOS-JFK-MEX-JFK-BOS for Christmas. The JFK-MEX-JFK legs are operated by AM, and they are charging $50 each way for seats in rows 12-27. This means that I, as a Skyteam Elite Plus member, am stuck 5 rows from the back of the aircraft, unless I want to pay $300. If this were a DL flight (even as an AM frequent flier), we would receive preferred seats for free.

All in all, I'm happy to have improved options for getting to Mexico, but as a DL Medallion, I avoid AM operated flights if I can. I doubt DL will materially influence AM's fee structure or customer service levels, but hope that they work to improve their tech/operations some.
Last edited by ual777newpaint on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
318 319 320 321 333 343 346 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 744 752 753 762 763 76E 764 77A 77E 773 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 F50 F70 MD88 MD90 DL UA WN B6 TK US U2 KL EQ MU SK GK VY AF AM KE XL KN CZ VS 3U CM CA 7P SC

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm

It is unlikely Delta is going to get into detailed service standards for AM. AM sets its own.

I further suspect that DL will not select the most pretentious and condescending people in its ranks to work on the DL/AM JV.

ual777newpaint

Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
It is unlikely Delta is going to get into detailed service standards for AM. AM sets its own.

I agree here, but I think it is likely/necessary that Delta will work to improve some operational standards at AM. ie baggage handling, technology, etc. With their recently increased stake in the airline, I don't think DL will ignore all of AM's deficiencies.
318 319 320 321 333 343 346 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 744 752 753 762 763 76E 764 77A 77E 773 789 CRJ CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 F50 F70 MD88 MD90 DL UA WN B6 TK US U2 KL EQ MU SK GK VY AF AM KE XL KN CZ VS 3U CM CA 7P SC

Wayfarer515

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Maybe Delta can teach them a few lessons on good old US3 passenger mistreatment techniques as well. :duck:

klm617

Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Any JV partner flight is an up grade from the standard Delta experience.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

AR385

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:17 pm

ual777newpaint wrote:
I've been wondering about this myself. There are a lot of areas where AM's operation pales in comparison to DL.

For example, upon arriving in MEX last January, on a paid F ticket, my bag did not show up on the carousel. The person (who barely spoke English) at the baggage desk said, "It must not have made it on the plane," and had me fill out a form with my address in the MEX area, and sent me on my way. When I got to my friend's house and checked the status of the claim, I found that my address had been entered incorrectly, and all I could do was look up its status in this extremely archaic website. The only way I could contact AM's baggage service department directly was via email.

If this had been DL, I could have checked the status of my bag via the Fly Delta app, as all DL bag tags are equipped with RFID chips which are scanned automatically whenever the bag is sorted, loaded, offloaded, etc.

Also, DL FF's receive only the basic Skyteam required benefits on AM, and AM has even started charging for assigned seats in the first half of the coach cabin. Skyteam Elite Plus members receive no fee waiver until 24 hours before departure, and it does not extend to even one companion. Real-world example: My family and I are traveling BOS-JFK-MEX-JFK-BOS for Christmas. The JFK-MEX-JFK legs are operated by AM, and they are charging $50 each way for seats in rows 12-27. This means that I, as a Skyteam Elite Plus member, am stuck 5 rows from the back of the aircraft, unless I want to pay $300. If this were a DL flight (even as an AM frequent flier), we would receive preferred seats for free.

All in all, I'm happy to have improved options for getting to Mexico, but as a DL Medallion, I avoid AM operated flights if I can. I doubt DL will materially influence AM's fee structure or customer service levels, but hope that they work to improve their tech/operations some.

On the other hand, last time I flew SCL-MEX-MTY on a paid F ticket, upon arrival in MTY my bag did not make it. I filled the normal sheet with the baggage person, who was very nice and very efficient and within 10 mins. I was on my way home. With the local PHONE NUMBER of their lost baggage office at MTY with me. Next time, maybe you should get that number, even though I know we live in the "e-mai/linternet" era, a phone call still gets a lot more attention. Anyway, my bag arrived the next day, in the afternoon, but it was literally destroyed. It looked like they must have dropped it either at SCL or MEX, and some vehicle ran over it. Many of the contents were also lost or destroyed. I was pretty pissed, but I called the person using the phone number they gave me and was promptly asked for the value that I estimated my bag and the lost items were worth. I gave them a pretty high number, and to my surprise they didn´t dispute it, and was refunded that amount. I would call that sterling service.

One horror story/anecdote, particularly in the service industry does not mean that particular provider has subpar service.

LAXintl

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:32 am

Flying regularly, I find the experience by Latin partners like Copa, Avianca, LAN, and Aeromexico to be superior to their US domestic peers.
In general I happily chose legs on partner carriers versus the US majors.

And the comment above about English abilities of staff is rather elitist. I hardly expect all foreign airline staff, especially ground staff to be fluent in English. This applies as much to Latin America as it does to China where I am currently.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 am

Over the last 10 years i am sure Delta taken away alot more comforts then AM has

Delta has taken away so much, they are finding it necessary to add things back.

I will be the first to say AM has some weird things about it but in cabin comfort i have never seen as any different then Delta.

IPFreely

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 am

Fly123123 wrote:
Being that DL used to fly several routes which DL is now turning over or "delegating" to AM (such as MTY-LAX , BJX-LAX, one of the MTY-ATL flights), does anyone know if DL has required that AM improves and ups its game and offer a more uniform travel experience comparable to the one Delta provides and its flyers deserve/expect?

If you fly much domestically you have experienced the standards that Delta accepts from the Delta Connection carriers. That should answer your question.

As far as DL "requiring" anything of AM, what would be the justification for any requirements? AM is an independent company; DL is a part owner of AM but has less than a controlling interest so there is no authority for any "requirements".

Fly123123
Topic Author

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:04 am

Great posts. Thanks all. The reason for the question regarding any potential expectations has to do with Delta willingly moving to the side and giving AM routes which DL flies/flew and in most cases started and developed. Delta is stepping aside voluntarily in coordination with Aeromexico. Start/finish dates are coordinated.This seems to be an amazing growth opportunity for AM. My hope is that AM and it's team realize the wonderful opportunity that this hand over represents and seize this opportunity to impress and maintain (or grow) the business that is being handed over to them. I still think that an upgrade to their cabins to offer a consistent FRESH look (including AM Connect) combined with an extraordinary service and customer treatment would go a long way. I think several of AM's E190's could use a new fresh interior and Wi-Fi. Thanks again for your insight.

jfern022

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 am

AR385 wrote:
ual777newpaint wrote:

On the other hand, last time I flew SCL-MEX-MTY on a paid F ticket, upon arrival in MTY my bag did not make it. I filled the normal sheet with the baggage person, who was very nice and very efficient and within 10 mins. I was on my way home. With the local PHONE NUMBER of their lost baggage office at MTY with me. Next time, maybe you should get that number, even though I know we live in the "e-mai/linternet" era, a phone call still gets a lot more attention. Anyway, my bag arrived the next day, in the afternoon, but it was literally destroyed. It looked like they must have dropped it either at SCL or MEX, and some vehicle ran over it. Many of the contents were also lost or destroyed. I was pretty pissed, but I called the person using the phone number they gave me and was promptly asked for the value that I estimated my bag and the lost items were worth. I gave them a pretty high number, and to my surprise they didn´t dispute it, and was refunded that amount. I would call that sterling service.

One horror story/anecdote, particularly in the service industry does not mean that particular provider has subpar service.

Wait? It doesn't?? If that was according to Twitter, that would have made AeroMexico, the worst airline in the world. How dare they lose one bag!! We know everyone is perfect at their jobs! /s