upperdeckfan
Topic Author
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 am

On flights within Schengen space is becoming normal to get on board without any ID check. Security and gate agents only care about getting a green light on the boarding pass readers.
I have boarded w/o ID check on UX, EW, LH, IB, VY, AF and in different airports such as VLC, DUS, FRA, BCN, CDG, MAD, MUC
IMO this is a security gap airlines and aviation authorities should take action against to avoid it. What do you think?
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,732,735,738,739,752,722,717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,M87,M88,310,319,320,321,332,333, 343,346,388,L1011,CR2,CR9,CR10,E175,E190,ATR42,DSH8
 
ME720
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am

There Is no security breach! This is the Schengen area. All pax gi through security, and screened thoroughly. Pax entering from non SCHENGEN zone go through a rigid passport control, followed by security.
Showing ID at the gate is futile, security wise will only make the boarding procedure slower.
 
mmo
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:38 am

Why is this a security gap? I certainly don't think it is and under current rules it isn't. Was your ID checked at check-in? Was your ID checked as you went through security? I'd be interested to see your perspective.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 11211
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 am

That is the way domestic flights in the US also worked until the "security industry" played on people's emotions to make more profit for little gain.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 am

It's the same in Australia on domestics, and on BA domestic flights. The passenger has to go through security regardless, so it's not a security issue. Most airlines on UK domestic flights are only advised to add ID checks at the gate, but it's not a government requirement.
 
dc9northwest
Posts: 2262
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 am

Hope the OP never flies domestic in Iceland or Greenland (among others). Might have a heart attack when (s)he finds out there's no security!
 
opticalilyushin
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:27 am

dc9northwest wrote:
Hope the OP never flies domestic in Iceland or Greenland (among others). Might have a heart attack when (s)he finds out there's no security!


From memory it's the same in the far north of Canada and in Alaska to the more remote locations?
 
User avatar
777Jet
Posts: 6626
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:29 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I can't remember the last time I've had to show any ID on a domestic flight within Australia (except for the domestic tag on flights that depart from International terminals). I even use the non-refundable tickets of people I knew who decide not to travel (males with Western names who I could look like) instead of letting the flights go to waste if the flights suite me. Just print the boarding pass at home, go through security at the terminal and have the boarding pass scanned at the gate. Way to easy IMHO. Dodgy people could easily fly under a fake name here given the lack of ID checks.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90,717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9,306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388
 
DAL763ER
Posts: 490
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:24 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
On flights within Schengen space is becoming normal to get on board without any ID check. Security and gate agents only care about getting a green light on the boarding pass readers.
I have boarded w/o ID check on UX, EW, LH, IB, VY, AF and in different airports such as VLC, DUS, FRA, BCN, CDG, MAD, MUC
IMO this is a security gap airlines and aviation authorities should take action against to avoid it. What do you think?


For all intents and purposes, flights within Schengen are domestic flights. As others have mentioned, domestic flights in most countries don't require id.

Why does showing id make you feel safer? I personally hate the US system of having to show a TSA agent ID. Do you show id when you get on a train or a bus? Why is flying any different?
 
PITingres
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:28 pm

DAL763ER wrote:
Why does showing id make you feel safer? I personally hate the US system of having to show a TSA agent ID. Do you show id when you get on a train or a bus? Why is flying any different?


Because obviously it's much worse to be dead on an airplane than on a train or a bus.

:banghead:

It's theater, and it's massively frustrating.
Fly, you fools! Fly!
 
Yflyer
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:19 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
From memory it's the same in the far north of Canada and in Alaska to the more remote locations?


From what I recall at ANC there are actually a couple of gates outside of security for flights to/from those remote Alaskan destinations. Passengers connecting onward to mainline or larger regional flights clear security at ANC.
 
flymia
Posts: 6990
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 6:33 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
dc9northwest wrote:
Hope the OP never flies domestic in Iceland or Greenland (among others). Might have a heart attack when (s)he finds out there's no security!


From memory it's the same in the far north of Canada and in Alaska to the more remote locations?


I have flown without security in FLL. When Chalks Ocean Airways flew FLL-PID and when Chalks flew from Watson Island to the Bahamas there was zero security in both Florida and the Bahamas.

Flying from Bora Bora to Tahiti in an ATR-72. No Security. Some flights, its just such a small threat its not worth the cost.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)
 
User avatar
CrimsonNL
Posts: 1934
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
IMO this is a security gap airlines and aviation authorities should take action against to avoid it. What do you think?


If I get in my car now and drive from my home in the Netherlands to Germany, I won't need to show my ID at the border. If I get on a train to France via Belgium, I don't have to show my ID. Why would it be different if I take an airplane?

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine
 
alggag
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 pm

I was a little surprised that we were required to show identification when we boarded for MAD-BCN on IB a few weeks ago. I had put my passport away then had to dig it out of my bag when gate agent had announced that all passengers would need need to provide identification with their boarding passes.

It makes sense to show a passport when boarding an international flight just so that they can confirm that it made it on the plane with you but I don't really see what it's supposed to accomplish in terms of "security".
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 1470
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:01 pm

alggag wrote:
I was a little surprised that we were required to show identification when we boarded for MAD-BCN on IB a few weeks ago. I had put my passport away then had to dig it out of my bag when gate agent had announced that all passengers would need need to provide identification with their boarding passes.

It makes sense to show a passport when boarding an international flight just so that they can confirm that it made it on the plane with you but I don't really see what it's supposed to accomplish in terms of "security".


In this case it has nothing to do with security, they just want to make sure the name on the boarding card matches with the one on the passport or ID card. When I flew from Amsterdam to Malaga lately on Vueling I also had to show my passport to the gate handler along with my boarding card. Again, not for security reasons but just to make sure it's you that they got on board.

Several years ago I flew Amsterdam - Stockholm on SAS (or actually Blue1 flying for SAS) and I didn't have to show them my passport. Just my boarding card was enough. It appears like it's only introduced lately or it depends on the airline if they want to see your ID or not.

Besides that, this is Schengen. You can travel from Amsterdam to Malaga by ground transport and you never have to show your passport anywhere so why should you for flying? On the other hand, I had to show my passport on the ferry from Tenerife to La Gomera because there's a tiny strip of international water between those two islands and the ferry was therefor leaving the Schengen area for a short time. Of course, both the port of departure and the port of arrival were in the Schengen area.
 
Ned Kelly
Posts: 407
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:14 am

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:45 am

This is just airline policy and has little to do with security, it's about airlines protecting their revenue by stopping travel agents etc. from purchasing all the cheap tickets and then selling them on for profit. By checking ID and the name on the ticket, it proves that the person flying is the person that purchased the ticket.
 
skyhawkmatthew
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:42 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 am

777Jet wrote:
I can't remember the last time I've had to show any ID on a domestic flight within Australia (except for the domestic tag on flights that depart from International terminals). I even use the non-refundable tickets of people I knew who decide not to travel (males with Western names who I could look like) instead of letting the flights go to waste if the flights suite me. Just print the boarding pass at home, go through security at the terminal and have the boarding pass scanned at the gate. Way to easy IMHO. Dodgy people could easily fly under a fake name here given the lack of ID checks.


It turns out it is actually a requirement to carry ID for domestic flights, even though it is almost never checked. A few months ago while waiting to board a domestic flight out of ADL, a pair of AFP officers were going through the terminal matching ID to boarding passes.
Qantas - The Spirit of Australia.
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 pm

As I understand it, ID checks at the gate have little to do with security or confirming identity -- it is all about confirming paperwork.

Some (or most?) countries require the airlines to confirm that arriving passengers have the necessary documents to enter the country (passport, visa, etc.). The airline may be subject to penalties if they carry a passenger without appropriate papers. That is why the airline always needs your passport information when checking in for international flights. Then they print or stamp or stamp something on your boarding pass to confirm that your documents were checked. And in my experience, it is usually checked again at the gate, if only to make sure that you have everything with you. Remember that in the world of online check-in, the boarding gate is the often only opportunity for the airline to confirm passenger documents.
 
User avatar
redzeppelin
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: Getting on Board w/o ID Check

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:53 pm

I don't mind showing ID to the TSA officer at security. That's intended to ensure that only ticketed passengers enter the secure area, although I know there are still flaws in the system. This incident at SLC a few years ago is proof:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... e-say.html
In that case, a woman printed her boarding pass at an airline kiosk but left it on the printer. A man grabbed it, managed to clear security and boarded the flight. He was only caught when the woman boarded after him using a mobile boarding pass, and the duplicate pass raised a flag.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AAvgeek744, dfwjim1 and 4 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos