Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cpqi
Topic Author

The shame that is KEF

Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:44 pm

I booked late to return from Paris to New York yesterday and took the option to fly Icelandair via KEF. For the money I really liked the airline, extremely friendly. I was also looking forward to stopping in a new country that sounds exciting. However KEF is simply shameful. Not even enough toilet facilities to cope, let alone extensive food queues, almost no where to sit, no lounges except for Saga members and people absolutely everywhere.

What a lost opportunity for the airport to impress so many that travel there. Where are the proper restaurants for a decent meal, the glass ceilings to see the Northen lights, the wine bars to sit and chat or even enough seats and space for people to sit comfortably ? Additional facilities would make millions and they would leave a lasting quality impression. After all space is not expensive

If I were Icelandair or WoW I would be screaming at the authorities to improve conditions dramatically

chrisnh

Re: The shame that is KEF

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm

A 'first look' for arriving passengers matters, even though many say it shouldn't. KEF has encountered a situation where the rise in traffic outpaced the improvement in the infrastructure. In some ways our home airport in Boston is suffering a similar fate where the 'gold rush' of international airlines since 2012 has outpaced the ability of Terminal E to properly handle it all.

MIflyer12

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:26 pm

cpqi wrote:
If I were Icelandair or WoW I would be screaming at the authorities to improve conditions dramatically

Look for examples where budget carriers are eager pass on higher passenger fees or landing fees to build airport palaces. Can you find any? Airlines more commonly push for cheaper/smaller facilities. Example:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/is ... -too-much/

larshjort

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 pm

There are plans, I don't know how far they are though. One thing to remember is that passenger numbers has exploded the last few years. There need to be time to see if that Groth is sustainable, the last thing Iceland want is to end up with a CVG.

DJWM

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:05 pm

cpqi wrote:
I booked late to return from Paris to New York yesterday and took the option to fly Icelandair via KEF. For the money I really liked the airline, extremely friendly. I was also looking forward to stopping in a new country that sounds exciting. However KEF is simply shameful. Not even enough toilet facilities to cope, let alone extensive food queues, almost no where to sit, no lounges except for Saga members and people absolutely everywhere.

What a lost opportunity for the airport to impress so many that travel there. Where are the proper restaurants for a decent meal, the glass ceilings to see the Northen lights, the wine bars to sit and chat or even enough seats and space for people to sit comfortably ? Additional facilities would make millions and they would leave a lasting quality impression. After all space is not expensive

Just curious, but how long were you actually in the terminal, from disembarkation to boarding of your connecting flight?
It's nice to wax lyrically about desired services but I doubt the costs involved would produce the millions as you say, especially when they are only needed for a few hours each day.
In the meantime, perhaps passenger education is the key and knowing what to expect at KEF could allow one to prepare so it's not quite such a shock to ones senses.

stlgph

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:14 pm

"If I were Icelandair or WoW I would be screaming at the authorities to improve conditions dramatically."

And they would be the reason why the airport is seeing the numbers it is in the first place.

Duh.

ASQ400

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:17 pm

cpqi wrote:

Where are the gold-plated toilets? What about the Caviar?

PatrickZ80

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Also got to mention that perhaps you arrived there on the wrong day since today is said to be the busiest day of the year in Keflavik, or at least one of the busiest days. On normal days the facilities are enough, but because of the extra traffic it may be a bit overcrowded.

SRQKEF

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:29 pm

cpqi wrote:

All since the rapid expansion started in 2012, both FI and WW have indeed been "screaming" at the authorities to improve. Both airlines have even explored the option of building their own terminal.

hvusslax

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:36 pm

cpqi wrote:

KEF could use some improvements but it would make little sense to turn it into some sort of a theme park and/or luxury spa resort. WOW air is an ULCC and Icelandair is a hybrid carrier with a strong emphasis on budget travellers. Both carriers strive to minimize connection times at KEF because that is where their competitive edge lies. Improvements at KEF should focus on basic things to improve that connecting experience. Fine dining and wine bars are sort of pointless when you go pretty much straight from gate to gate.

As for glass ceilings to see the northern lights, massive glass ceilings are generally a bad idea in a cold climate because of the heat loss and because of possible snow accumulation. Airports are lousy places to view the northern lights anyways because there is so much light pollution.

mjoelnir

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:01 pm

The simpe truth is that improvements are outpaced by growth. Growth was:

2017 including April, 55%
2016 40%
2015 25%
2014 20%they
2013 16%

2015 they finished 2500 square meter terminal expansion
2016 they doubled the luggage sorting capabilities
2017 they added 5000 square meters terminal area
Adding to that they rebuild a runway, doubled the apron area, invested in busses to be able to use remote stands. I am sure I forgot something.

The main problem is, that both WOW and FI operate with banks, the airport hectic for a few hours at a time and between nearly empty.

cpqi
Topic Author

Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:05 pm

So a mixture of valuable and uninformed feedback. I was there for three uncomfortable hours traveling on an airline that does not provide meals by default but does ask you to connect

Of course wine bars and northern lights were a hyperbole but a far better infrastructure is certainly needed. In particular as Icelandair is encouraging people to not only connect, but to take a day trip from the airport to the key sights on the island.

A priority pass or Amex lounge would help

Remember airports are usually run by governments or outsourced and not by airlines who are as subject to the poor conditions as are their passengers. Not surprised to read a comment that they are screaming and have considered their own terminals.

From what I saw, which was a one day snap shot, two or three sit down restaurants would definitely make money

I am not on a budget and passengers sitting next to me were also more interested in the routing than in the saving. I maintain that KEF is missing a trick here

mjoelnir

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 pm

cpqi wrote:
So a mixture of valuable and uninformed feedback. I was there for three uncomfortable hours traveling on an airline that does not provide meals by default but does ask you to connect

Of course wine bars and northern lights were a hyperbole but a far better infrastructure is certainly needed. In particular as Icelandair is encouraging people to not only connect, but to take a day trip from the airport to the key sights on the island.

A priority pass or Amex lounge would help

Remember airports are usually run by governments or outsourced and not by airlines who are as subject to the poor conditions as are their passengers. Not surprised to read a comment that they are screaming and have considered their own terminals.

From what I saw, which was a one day snap shot, two or three sit down restaurants would definitely make money

I am not on a budget and passengers sitting next to me were also more interested in the routing than in the saving. I maintain that KEF is missing a trick here

In the main restaurant and shopping area there are four sit down restaurants and a bar.

https://www.kefairport.is/wheninkef/en/restaurants/

TC957

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:22 am

Shameful on Iceland that they haven't invested in KEF to create a real positive experience for passengers visiting and / or transitting through. Have seen numerous negative reports from passengers and as an agent I'm put off recommending FI / WW as a result.
But KEF is not alone - ADD can barely cope with ET's growth either.

intotheair

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 am

I think Iceland is a victim of its own success. It's not just the airport, but all kinds of infrastructure is just not built to handle the influx of visitors. The transportation options from KEF to Reykjavik — God forbid you actually decide to leave the airport — are poor, and there aren't enough hotels for everyone either.

My sense is that Icelanders are a little split on all the international attraction to their country. My only time there was in 2013 right about when traffic was really starting to pick up. I actually did want to see Iceland on my way to Europe, so I did spend two nights there. It's a nice place with a very interesting history, culture, and beautiful landscapes, and I worry that all these visitors (or even transit passengers) don't necessarily appreciate it. I've seen so many people jump on these cheap fares, take their picture at the Blue Lagoon, and then leave. Sometimes even less. Then they act like they went to the most exotic and remote place in the world.

I think Iceland is doing the best they can to try to keep up. More hotels are being built, including a Hilton, the first western chain in the country as far as I know. They have expanded the airport and the master plan looks nice. Fully built out, it will be able to handle 14mn passengers a year (currently it's 6.8mn), or 25mn passengers if it were utilized more outside the banks.

https://www.isavia.is/english/b2b/kefla ... asterplan/

They also leave open the option for a high speed train to link it to Reykjavik. I don't see that happening anytime soon, but at least they're planning ahead.

ChrisKen

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:23 am

cpqi wrote:

Yet you chose a Y fare instead of the Y+ or Saga fare which would have given you access to some or all of the above perceived gripes (No meal, No Lounge).

KEF is playing catch up to a surge of traffic in the last few years. No airport is perfect, KEF isn't helped by the highly waved/banked operations of it's two main carriers, outside those banks it's a veritable ghost town.

cpqi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:55 am

Yet you chose a Y fare instead of the Y+ or Saga fare which would have given you access to some or all of the above perceived gripes (No meal, No Lounge).

Forewarned is forarmed

intotheair

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:01 am

cpqi wrote:

Forewarned is forarmed

I don't think it's out of bounds to ask that an airport has enough seating for passengers at the gate and a handful of concessions.

SRQKEF

Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
cpqi wrote:

KEF is playing catch up to a surge of traffic in the last few years. No airport is perfect, KEF isn't helped by the highly waved/banked operations of it's two main carriers, outside those banks it's a veritable ghost town.

The ghost town comment is no longer applicable. DY/D8, W6 and U2 now have 3-5 daily flights each year round which operate between 9-11am and 6-9pm (previously dead times). SK, BA, AB and LH are also tear round and all operate outside of the usual FI/WW banks. Don't forget the influx of LCCs in the summer, especially from German speaking countries, which arrive at midnight and fly a redeye back to Europe. Plus, FI adds a seperate bank in the summer, connecting America-Europe at midnight and Europe-America in the morning. Only real dead hours these days are between 2am-4am, from when the last FI redeye flights to Europe depart until the first WW TATL arrivals land, 8:30pm-10pm and perhaps 12pm-2pm when often only FI212 to CPH leaves. Other hours are usually busy, and of course the banks at midnight, early morning, late morning and afternoon are hectic.

Regards!
Sveinn :)

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:36 pm

The growth caused by WOW is huge. The airport has not come even close to keeping up.

KEF has become a large transfer airport, yet it does not have the facilities. When there is bad weather, don't even go near WOW they cannot handle disruptions, they have no space, no plans, and not enough people to handle anything less then perfect conditions.