Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

evank516
Topic Author

Chances of Being Bumped from my ATL-EYW-ATL flights

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:45 pm

Hey Guys:

My trip to EYW is just about a month away now. I had read a post in the other forum about flying into and out of EYW on DL. I'm on the 737 from ATL to EYW and again from EYW to ATL. Now, I'm going in July, so it's going to be hot. I'm scheduled to get into EYW at 11:30 and my departure flight on Saturday is at 5:54 PM. Should I be concerned about getting bumped from the flight? I was thinking about maybe upgrading to Delta Comfort or something for the EYW flights to sort of lessen my chances of that happening. Any ideas, advice, insight from any former DL employees who know how the EYW service works? I know about the one checked bag thing, and I'm totally fine with that, just want to make sure I get there as planned.

MaxTrimm

Re: Chances of Being Bumped from my ATL-EYW-ATL flights

Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:59 pm

The airline will only bump the people that "mean the least" to the flight. These are last people to check in, bought the cheapest tickets, booked within days of the flight, etc. Your chances are slim to none.

evank516
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm

I bought a pretty cheap ticket ($448 after the $50 refund due to the 24 hour rule), albeit not basic economy, but I also bought them back in March.

Basketb926

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:46 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about being bumped as long as you have a confirmed seat.
Flight has been on a 737 every day for the last week so it's not a usual suspect flight for equipment change.
As far as FlightAware pricing insight can be trusted, your fare is not that far below the flight's Median.
https://flightaware.com/insight/airline/KATL/KEYW/DAL
Have a nice trip!

KFLLCFII

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:43 am

evank516 wrote:
Hey Guys:

My trip to EYW is just about a month away now. I had read a post in the other forum about flying into and out of EYW on DL. I'm on the 737 from ATL to EYW and again from EYW to ATL. Now, I'm going in July, so it's going to be hot. I'm scheduled to get into EYW at 11:30 and my departure flight on Saturday is at 5:54 PM. Should I be concerned about getting bumped from the flight? I was thinking about maybe upgrading to Delta Comfort or something for the EYW flights to sort of lessen my chances of that happening. Any ideas, advice, insight from any former DL employees who know how the EYW service works? I know about the one checked bag thing, and I'm totally fine with that, just want to make sure I get there as planned.

How many total nights is the stay?

As a South Florida native and about a yearly Florida Keys visitor, if your stay is more than, say, two nights, and your ticket is changable, I'd reconsider flying directly into EYW and driving down in a rental from MIA (or FLL) instead for many reasons: First, the ticket would probably be significantly cheaper from ATL (at least offsetting the cost of a rental), and there would be much less reason to be concerned about getting bumped (not to mention several more daily flights).

Second, as you enter the Florida Keys at Key Largo (about an hour from MIA, ~two hours from FLL), the drive becomes incredibly scenic and tropical-picturesque for most of the 100-mile long island chain across several dozen bridges which span the crystal-aqua waters dividing the Atlantic & the Gulf of Mexico.

Third, you don't really get the true "laid back" feel of the Keys and all it has to offer along the Overseas Highway by simply showing up at the end of the chain in Key West (whether by plane or by cruise ship), which can easily lose the "tropical" luster for a older "suburban" feel as you venture even a few blocks in from the shore.

I'm definitely biased as a native...But for probably similar total cost, flying into a cheaper airport which offers far-greater scheduling flexibility/availability, and renting a car for a drive that is arguably one of the nation's most spectacular (and by many accounts considered unique worldwide), versus flying into a more-expensive destination airport offering significantly less flexibility and losing out on the full experience of the Keys is, to me, an easy choice if the situation allows it.

evank516
Topic Author

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
evank516 wrote:
Hey Guys:

How many total nights is the stay?

As a South Florida native and about a yearly Florida Keys visitor, if your stay is more than, say, two nights, and your ticket is changable, I'd reconsider flying directly into EYW and driving down in a rental from MIA (or FLL) instead for many reasons: First, the ticket would probably be significantly cheaper from ATL (at least offsetting the cost of a rental), and there would be much less reason to be concerned about getting bumped (not to mention several more daily flights).

Second, as you enter the Florida Keys at Key Largo (about an hour from MIA, ~two hours from FLL), the drive becomes incredibly scenic and tropical-picturesque for most of the 100-mile long island chain across several dozen bridges which span the crystal-aqua waters dividing the Atlantic & the Gulf of Mexico.

Third, you don't really get the true "laid back" feel of the Keys and all it has to offer along the Overseas Highway by simply showing up at the end of the chain in Key West (whether by plane or by cruise ship), which can easily lose the "tropical" luster for a older "suburban" feel as you venture even a few blocks in from the shore.

I'm definitely biased as a native...But for probably similar total cost, flying into a cheaper airport which offers far-greater scheduling flexibility/availability, and renting a car for a drive that is arguably one of the nation's most spectacular (and by many accounts considered unique worldwide), versus flying into a more-expensive destination airport offering significantly less flexibility and losing out on the full experience of the Keys is, to me, an easy choice if the situation allows it.

Leaving July 18th, returning July 22. I've heard quite a few people recommend the drive from MIA/FLL. The reason I opted against it is for A) The thrill of the landing in EYW and B) I absolutely HATE long car rides, and I know it can take 4 hours or so. No thank you. Especially with EYW being small and more convenient I opted to spend the money since it's just me. The flights are booked anyway and changing them means change fees and such. I don't mind forking over the extra cash, I just want to make sure I won't be bumped over a weight issue with the plane. Though I hear the 737s don't really take a penalty, it's more the CR7s and I made sure I was on the 737s.