Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeffh747
Topic Author

Two week trip to California, tips for aviation sights?!

Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Howdy everyone!
Because I got so many great tips for my trip to SFO almost next week (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1355567&p=19358755#p19358755) I've decided to come back once more requesting ideas for an avgeek to see during a two week family trip out West!

The scenario: two week trip with the family. Flying into SFO, returning out of LAX.

When: Mid July 2017

Where: Confirmed places we'll be going through are San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Palm Springs, San Diego, Los Angeles

What: Looking for aviation related attractions that would be worth stopping for.

I already have a couple things definitely planned out. I will be stopping at the Airplane Shop in Vegas, doing a full day of planespotting at LAX, and visiting the original Air Force One in Simi Valley at the Reagan Presidential Library. Is there anything else that an East Coast dude like myself visiting Cali for pretty much the first time (my previous two short trips don't really count) would otherwise miss?

Appreciate the advice!
Jeff

alexrg

Re: Two week trip to Cali, tips for aviation sights?!

Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 pm

We here in San Diego have an excellent Air & Space Museum, located in the beautiful Balboa Park near downtown. Exhibits include the Apollo 9 spacecraft (with accompanying space suits, rocket models, and a real moon rock), various military aircraft (including an SR-72 Blackbird), and a Ford Trimotor. Additionally, aircraft approaching SAN land right overhead, and you can get good pictures with basically any camera with zoom.

dc9northwest

Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Enjoy Colombia. I hear Cali is one of the largest cities there.

I hear that some funky aircraft, like 727s and maybe even some DC-3s operate as cargo ships in that part of the world.

Make sure to not go into the Darien Gap alone, though!

aklrno

Sat May 20, 2017 10:28 pm

How about the space shuttle Endeavour in downtown LA at the California Science center? Beats spending the entire day at In-n-out.

LTU932

Sat May 20, 2017 11:45 pm

dc9northwest wrote:

I hear that some funky aircraft, like 727s and maybe even some DC-3s operate as cargo ships in that part of the world.

I believe he meant Cali as in California.

Personally, the first thing I'd do after arriving in LAX is go to In-n-Out, and see planes while eating a double-double animal style. Then again, I wouldn't go to LA just for the airplanes.

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 1:11 am

dc9northwest wrote:

I'm sorry, I meant Cali as in California.
My apologies for the misleading thread title; I had to abbreviate 'California' otherwise it would've been too long.
On the bright side, if I'm ever in Cali, Colombia (you never know!), I'll save your post for future reference!

Thank you for the reply,
Jeff

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 1:12 am

aklrno wrote:
How about the space shuttle Endeavour in downtown LA at the California Science center? Beats spending the entire day at In-n-out.

YES! Fantastic suggestion! I'd completely forgotten that one of the Space Shuttles ended up in SoCal!

Jeff

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 1:14 am

alexrg wrote:
We here in San Diego have an excellent Air & Space Museum, located in the beautiful Balboa Park near downtown. Exhibits include the Apollo 9 spacecraft (with accompanying space suits, rocket models, and a real moon rock), various military aircraft (including an SR-72 Blackbird), and a Ford Trimotor. Additionally, aircraft approaching SAN land right overhead, and you can get good pictures with basically any camera with zoom.

Wow! Thank you for the suggestion! I'd read about it online but didn't realize it was such a big museum. Definitely sounds like something worth checking out.

Cheers
Jeff

jeffh747
Topic Author

Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 am

LTU932 wrote:
dc9northwest wrote:

I believe he meant Cali as in California.

Personally, the first thing I'd do after arriving in LAX is go to In-n-Out, and see planes while eating a double-double animal style. Then again, I wouldn't go to LA just for the airplanes.

I agree with you on not going to LA just for the planes. But we have a few days in LA and this I figured I'd use the day we leave late as the day to see some planes and check out the world famous In N Out.

Thanks,
Jeff

Airstud

Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 am

Not sure what your exact itinerary is - you going from SF to Vegas by air, or land? If by land, through the San Joaquin Valley; there's the Castle Air Museum

http://www.castleairmuseum.org/

I honestly don't know if it's any good, but I used to ride past it frequently on the San Joaquin when I lived in California.

n757kw

Sun May 21, 2017 9:24 am

There is the Hiller Aviation Museum between San Francisco and San Jose. It was pretty small when I went in 2000.

http://www.hiller.org/

I like military things so there is the USS Hornet (aircraft carrier) Museum in Alameda, The USS Pampanito (submarine) and SS Jeremiah O'Brien (Liberty Ship) at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

N757KW

trijetsonly

Mon May 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I recommend visiting Chino airfield. They have two excellent museums and lot's of derelikt planes that are easy to visit.

ucdtim17

Wed May 24, 2017 4:08 pm

There's also an aviation museum at OAK http://www.oaklandaviationmuseum.org/

Woodreau

Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

While in San Diego check out USS Midway, she was the flagship of the task force for the First Gulf War.

jetwet1

Re: Two week trip to California, tips for aviation sights?!

Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Depending on the route you use, you could swing by March Air Field

http://www.airplaneexhibits.com/march-f ... museum.htm

Woodreau wrote:
While in San Diego check out USS Midway, she was the flagship of the task force for the First Gulf War.

A big yes from me on this one.

ucdtim17

Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Also USS Hornet Museum in Alameda https://www.uss-hornet.org/

TheRedBaron

Sat May 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Not aviation created but if you are driving to LA anyways try to visit Yosemite or Sequoia national parks...I was there last week and if you avoid the weekends the sights and activities are incredible.... and use the CA 99 highway down and detour to Victorville..

Have Great TRIP.

TRB