ASTROJET707
Topic Author

SQ J Seat - A359 - IAH - MAN Disappointing

Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 pm

I flew SQ last Sunday from IAH to MAN in J on the A359. The cabin crew were outstanding. The food ,wine and champagne selections were excellent. I did not like the seat at all...very disappointed. The inability of the seatback to recline is a big negative. Has anyone flown in J with the new seat?

alexrg

Re: SQ J Seat - A359 - IAH - MAN Disappointing

Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 pm

Can I have some clarification here -- are you saying the seat didn't recline at all? To my knowledge, the seat reclines into a flat bed.
Seize the memes of production

ASTROJET707
Topic Author

Mon May 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks for your response. While the seat is lie-flat the ability to adjust the seatback outside of lie-flat mode is limited.

RyanairGuru

Mon May 22, 2017 8:01 pm

You're still not making yourself clear, are you trying to say that the seat is either (1) upright or (2) flat with no other functionality? If not then what?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

hinckley

Mon May 22, 2017 10:54 pm

I can't comment on the 359's J-class, but I've flown extensively in the 773 (and previously A345) J-class, and it was exactly as the OP describes. SQ's lie-flat seat design is unlike any other that I've seen. Instead of the seat "reclining" into a bed, the seatback is manually flipped forward over the seat cushion (you have to get out of the seat to do that), and the footrest is powered up to be flat with the flipped-forward seatback. So your upper body is lying on the back-side of the seatback. That's a mouthful I know and it may not be easy to visualize.

With that said, I'm in total agreement with the OP. When not flipped forward, the seatback only reclines a bit. It's really not that comfortable. And I'll go further. I would have thought that SQ would have put some sort of nice padded surface on the back-side of the seatback so that it's a comfortable surface to sleep on when flipped forward. But they didn't. It's really quite hard. And although the seat itself is very wide, the area to put your feet when sleeping is quite small (unless you're sitting in a bulkhead row). The design of this seat looks quite luxurious and spacious, but in practice, it just doesn't work well at all.

cskok8

Tue May 23, 2017 4:06 am

Is this seat the same as the one on their 77W? Its VERY wide but as hinckley says it does not recline beyond about 30 deg from the vertical. The one on the newer 77W (with PE) do recline a bit more, but to convert to bed, you have to get up and flip the seat back over

ASTROJET707
Topic Author

Tue May 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you hinckley and cskok8.