Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa87
Topic Author

What happens if I no show on LY-B6 connection?

Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 pm

I'm looking at LY NYC-TLV this summer and noticed we can save about $700 if we book direct LY website BOS-TLV-BOS, w return flight TLV-JFK-BOS on B6. We actually live in the NY area so we wouldn't board the last B6 leg. Booking BOS-TLV-EWR/JFK is $700 more.

I know there's a term for this kind of booking, but 2 questions:

1) Would we have any issues w TSA or ICE ? We're US citizens w NJ home address, I assume once we're cleared no one at TSA or ICE knows or cares if we board our B6 connection.

2) Not to sound paranoid, but would our no-show be "reported" from B6 to LY, which would then charge us fare difference ? We're willing to drive to BOS for outbound leg to save $1,000, but not if I end up getting charged difference back.

Thanks for any advice.

MalevTU134

Re: Help pls - what happens if no show on LY-B6 conx ?

Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm

aa87 wrote:
I'm looking at LY NYC-TLV this summer and noticed we can save about $700 if we book direct LY website BOS-TLV-BOS, w return flight TLV-JFK-BOS on B6. We actually live in the NY area so we wouldn't board the last B6 leg. Booking BOS-TLV-EWR/JFK is $700 more.

I know there's a term for this kind of booking, but 2 questions:

1) Would we have any issues w TSA or ICE ? We're US citizens w NJ home address, I assume once we're cleared no one at TSA or ICE knows or cares if we board our B6 connection.

2) Not to sound paranoid, but would our no-show be "reported" from B6 to LY, which would then charge us fare difference ? We're willing to drive to BOS for outbound leg to save $1,000, but not if I end up getting charged difference back.

Thanks for any advice.

1) No

2) No

Yflyer

Wed May 17, 2017 10:01 pm

If I remember correctly it's called "hidden city" ticketing.

dc9northwest

Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Do it once, nothing happens.

Do it repeatedly, the airline may try to "screw you" (like you did them).

Well, that's what the consensus seems to be.

DDR

Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

what about your checked bags? B6 will probably off load them if you no show. That might be awkward.

berari

Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm

DDR wrote:
what about your checked bags? B6 will probably off load them if you no show. That might be awkward.

When you do TLV-JFK, do you have physical access to your bag to go through customs then drop it off for B6 for BOS? If so, that will address baggage issue, and you'll just walk out. Otherwise, if it's like in Canada where the customs/immigration person shows you your bag on a screen, then it'll get awkward with B6.

Have you priced out JFK-BOS-JFK-TLV-JFK-BOS-JFK for kicks?

MalevTU134

Wed May 17, 2017 10:41 pm

berari wrote:
DDR wrote:

When you do TLV-JFK, do you have physical access to your bag to go through customs then drop it off for B6 for BOS? If so, that will address baggage issue, and you'll just walk out. Otherwise, if it's like in Canada where the customs/immigration person shows you your bag on a screen, then it'll get awkward with B6.

Have you priced out JFK-BOS-JFK-TLV-JFK-BOS-JFK for kicks?

Last time I went through JFK Intl. -Dom. , bags were delivered before Customs, you take them through, and you drop them off again (or you don't) on the baggage belt for domestic carriers.

Yflyer

Wed May 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Yes, you can't check any bags if you plan to do this. Edit: Right, I forgot that you'll be able to get your checked bags before you go through immigration/customs. I guess it would work even if you checked a bag.

Also, if your TLV-JFK flight gets canceled they could reroute you to BOS via a different hub (or put you on a nonstop flight to BOS). Then you'd have to explain that you didn't actually want to go to Boston; you want to go to NYC.
Last edited by Yflyer on Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BestWestern

Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Try and book a 'stopover' in JFK, Flying on to Boston later in the month.

Does that work?

MalevTU134

Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Yes, you can't check any bags if you plan to do this.

Also, if your TLV-JFK flight gets canceled they could reroute you to BOS via a different hub (or put you on a nonstop flight to BOS). Then you'd have to explain that you didn't actually want to go to Boston; you want to go to NYC.

Why couldn't he check any bags? Please explain.
Edit: You just did. :D

And yes, the risk of a rerouting is real, albeit small for the comparable gain.

pasu129

Wed May 17, 2017 10:58 pm

As long as you can retrieve your bags at arrival to JFK, you wouldn't have any problems, since you'll essentially have to re-check with B6 after custom. Same thing happens at LAX.

32andBelow

Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Yah do it.

berari

Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 pm

Worst thing that will happen is you go to BOS and take the bus back.

MalevTU134

Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm

berari wrote:
Worst thing that will happen is you go to BOS and take the bus back.

Or B6 ... :D

Yflyer

Thu May 18, 2017 12:09 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

I was thinking that the bags would be checked all the way through to BOS and they wouldn't have the opportunity to collect them at JFK. Which would be true if both legs were domestic, and why I've always heard you can't check any bags if you plan to do something like this. I guess in this case the bags probably would still be tagged for BOS but since the first leg is international they'll be able to pick them up before immigration so it won't matter.

MalevTU134

Thu May 18, 2017 12:15 am

Yflyer wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

I was thinking that the bags would be checked all the way through to BOS and they wouldn't have the opportunity to collect them at JFK. Which would be true if both legs were domestic, and why I've always heard you can't check any bags if you plan to do something like this. I guess in this case the bags probably would still be tagged for BOS but since the first leg is international they'll be able to pick them up before immigration so it won't matter.

Exactly

IPFreely

Re: What happens if I no show on LY-B6 connection?

Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 am

aa87 wrote:
We actually live in the NY area so we wouldn't board the last B6 leg.....We're willing to drive to BOS for outbound leg

Am I the only one who sees a potential problem with this?

MalevTU134

Thu May 18, 2017 3:56 am

IPFreely wrote:
aa87 wrote:
We actually live in the NY area so we wouldn't board the last B6 leg.....We're willing to drive to BOS for outbound leg

Probably.
But you would add more to the thread if you would kindly tell us what potential problem you see...

Yflyer

Thu May 18, 2017 4:24 am

I assume he's referring to the part where the OP says they're willing to drive to BOS, therefore when they get off their return flight in JFK their car will still be at BOS.

Honestly I saw that, too, but just assumed he misspoke and actually meant take some form of ground transportation to BOS rather than drive there in their own personal car.

LupineChemist

Thu May 18, 2017 6:54 am

IPFreely wrote:
aa87 wrote:

It's not hard to find some good deals on one-way rentals.

berari

Thu May 18, 2017 3:41 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
aa87 wrote:

It's not hard to find some good deals on one-way rentals.

So I would do as planned +pre-book another one-way rental from BOS to NYC and cancel it on same day if OP is successful at getting his bags at JFK. Unless you've prepaid, car rentals are cancelable and noshowable.

aa87
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

OK folks, w fare changes deal is no need for us to drive to Boston ... booking open jaw JFK-TLV-JFK-BOS saves us $500 without the last JFK-BOS (what the !@#@!#!). I know checked bags are picked up before customs, so does anyone know if LY monitors this ? I imagine given its limited network of direct flights, LY has little hidden city ticketing, I'm guessing w interline connection its one step removed.

Also, Yflyer had a great point: "if your TLV-JFK flight gets canceled they could reroute you to BOS via a different hub (or put you on a nonstop flight to BOS). Then you'd have to explain that you didn't actually want to go to Boston; you want to go to NYC[/i]". No risk they would bump us to the N/S to BOS since I'm sure it will be full, and the only flexibility LY has is flights to JFK ... but great point.

Not sure relevant, but we're also a party of 2 adults, 3 kids and an infant. If we somehow get "caught", I'll just say honestly we booked open jaw to save money, and I learned about it on a.net :lol:

Last question: I know they can deny boarding to anyone for any reason, but I assume absolute worst is demand they we pay fare difference ? Is that a safe assumption ? Honestly my only concern is LY security grilling, I'd be surprised if they didn't ask why we left from JFK and returning to BOS ... for their security folks that's low-hanging fruit.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting and knowledgeable replies. Love a.net !

Airstud

Fri May 19, 2017 3:45 am

aa87 wrote:
I'd be surprised if they didn't ask why we left from JFK and returning to BOS ... for their security folks that's low-hanging fruit.

Not really - left from United States, returning to United States.

Left from JFK, "returning" to RUH - different story.

opticalilyushin

Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 am

Going back to the principle of this issue, with pretty much any airline you should be able to get the check agent to 'restrict' the bag to an intermediate destination, just tell them that when you land you need to get something out of the bag, or something..or tell them your travel plans have changed since booking..it shouldn't be an issue.

Worst case if you don't tell them and you 'no show' for the next flight, your bag is offloaded, and you collect it. The one downside to that is if you have a long connection time in JFK you'll have to sit and wait