Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

levg79
Topic Author

Schoenefeld vs Tegel Question

Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi All,

I will be flying from Berlin to Riga with the family and my choices are either Ryanair from Schoenefeld or Air Baltic from Tegel. As I'm from the US, I've never flown Ryanair but comparing similar types of tickets with luggage, etc., Ryanair seems to be about $50 cheaper for my family. Since I'm not familiar with Berlin (this will be my first trip to Germany, flying DL into TXL), how much extra would a cab ride to Schoenefeld be compared to Tegel? I'm debating if I should splurge the extra $50 and book Air Baltic out of TXL or if Ryanair and a ride to Schoenefeld be worth saving $50. The departures times are within an hour from each other. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

by188b

Re: Schoenefeld vs Tegel Question

Wed May 17, 2017 1:30 pm

A cab from the Schoneberg area to TXL is about 15-20 euro, whilst to SXF its about 50 euro IIRC.

SXF is in Zone C and is on the s-bahn system and there is also an airport express which runs 2-3 times per hour. TXL is well connected on the bus network and is closer to Berlin in Zone B.

To be honest im in and out of Berlin fairly frequently and prefer TXL for its ease of use but both are easy.
Last edited by by188b on Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by188b

Wed May 17, 2017 1:31 pm

ps - some Air Baltic flights are operated by the Bombardier CS300. That would swing it for me.

bohica

Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm

It's going to cost more than $50 for a cab TXL-SXF. Might as well go on Air Baltic out of TXL.

SCQ83

Wed May 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Ryanair is fine nowadays, but I would go TXL no doubt.

Tegel is a bad airport, but SXF is really unbearable specially since Ryanair has expanded there like crazy and the airport is unbelievably overcrowded.

SXF must be the worst airport experience in any Western airport today. By comparison it makes something like LGA look like Asian luxury.

masgniw

Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
SXF must be the worst airport experience in any Western airport today. By comparison it makes something like LGA look like Asian luxury.

Ha. Quite the overstatement.

SXF isn't a glamorous place but the S-bahn trip is a breeze and the trip should run you ~$5. I think it's well worth the savings.

SCQ83

Wed May 17, 2017 4:45 pm

masgniw wrote:
SXF isn't a glamorous place but the S-bahn trip is a breeze and the trip should run you ~$5. I think it's well worth the savings.

It is not about glamour. I am happy with "basic" but modern Ryanair-style facilities like Modlin or Charleroi, but SXF is a 3rd world terminal. Overcrowded, smelly, Soviet toilets, A/C does not work properly...

I agree the S-Bahn is very handy (Ok the tunnel with the ticket machines is not the nicest place) and nicest than the bus (specially if you have luggage) and for many places around Berlin is much more convenient than TXL. I had to go to Postdam last month, so from landing in SXF (no checked luggage) to Postdam HBF it was maybe 1 hour non-stop? TXL can't beat that in public transportation (maybe it is shorter but several changes).

SXF is fine for landing (since you leave quickly) but for departures is a big mess IMO.

masgniw

Wed May 17, 2017 5:21 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Overcrowded, smelly, Soviet toilets, A/C does not work properly...

What's a soviet toilet? In Soviet Russia...toilet flush you?

Sure it can get pretty crowded during the rush, but it's a perfectly viable option for anyone traveling on a budget.

aerdingus

Thu May 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Both shitholes, TXL less so.

RyanairGuru

Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm

aerdingus wrote:
Both shitholes, TXL less so.

This.

They're two of the worse airports I've ever flown through but TXL is slightly less shitty and closer to the centre.

Delta777Jet

Sat May 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Tegel - Schönefeld is about 50$ with no traffic and up to 90$ with traffic and we always have traffic.

I would never go an extra inch to fly Ryanair. They are not as bad as they were but the planes I flew recently were shabby and old and the crew not motivated.

I had better experiences with Air Baltic and as you rare already in TXL just fly from there. You are not missing out on anything flying from SXF nor flying Ryanair

PatrickZ80

Sun May 21, 2017 8:59 am

One simple advice: Don't take a cab in Berlin! Take the S-Bahn (train) from the airport to the city as it's very convenient and much cheaper.

MHG

Sun May 21, 2017 1:55 pm

If the total price difference is ~50$ book Air Baltic.
Cab ride TXL-SXF is 55-60€. Journey time 30-40 mins.
A single ticket for bus/subway/S-Bahn will set you back 3,40€ per person. The ride will take +/- 1h10mins but involves minimum 2 transfers (not exactly convenient with luggage)
TXL is not exactly a nice airport nowadays but is easy to navigate through - albeit a bit crowded at times. No long walks.
Transfer at TXL will be definitely be the one with the least hassle.

LH748

Sun May 21, 2017 9:05 pm

I would prefer Air Balic over Ryanair and TXL over SXF so it's quite an easy choice in my view.
If you don't happen to stay very close to SXF, there is not real reason to pick the FR option im my view.