PEK777
Topic Author

Voluntary downgrade

Tue May 16, 2017 9:25 pm

Surely I cannot be the first person on earth to do this. My flight out of ATL is light in Y tonight, and I had been bumped to economy comfort. Given they are going to upgrade people until economy comfort is full, I asked for a spot in standard economy so I could have an open seat next to me. They refused to do it at first, and finally did after 5 minute of arguing. They claim it is the first time they every experienced this. I have a Statue of Davidlike body and do not need the width, but I can better use a laptop off the seat beside me than on the tray table. Anybody else done this? I would like to go back and tell them they were wrong, and have some sources to cite when exposing them.

32andBelow

Re: Voluntary downgrade

Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 pm

PEK777 wrote:
Surely I cannot be the first person on earth to do this. My flight out of ATL is light in Y tonight, and I had been bumped to economy comfort. Given they are going to upgrade people until economy comfort is full, I asked for a spot in standard economy so I could have an open seat next to me. They refused to do it at first, and finally did after 5 minute of arguing. They claim it is the first time they every experienced this. I have a Statue of Davidlike body and do not need the width, but I can better use a laptop off the seat beside me than on the tray table. Anybody else done this? I would like to go back and tell them they were wrong, and have some sources to cite when exposing them.

Either way you can usually move around on a lightly booked flight after the door is closed.

IPFreely

Tue May 16, 2017 9:41 pm

So they gave you what you asked for and you want to go back and argue with them?

Good luck.

PEK777
Topic Author

Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 pm

32andBelow wrote:
PEK777 wrote:

Either way you can usually move around on a lightly booked flight after the door is closed.

At that point any leisure traveler in Y wearing sweatpants could do the same thing. If I have the aisle seat at takeoff and the middle and window is open, dominance is established and nobody will challenge.

ua900

Tue May 16, 2017 9:48 pm

PEK777 wrote:
Anybody else done this?

Yes, downgraded for friends and family. But that's better done informally, e.g. walk up the guy / gal who sits in the seat you'd actually want and offer them your F ticket. Because if you go through the airline, they'll take whoever is next in line, not whoever you'd promote to F / J / E+

Moreover, if it's a move to a lower cabin because the back is empty (e.g. you'd rather have 5 seats across in the rear center section of Y than a F barcalounger on a Hawaii 777) the crew is unlikely to challenge you (because you hold F ticket) so why bother going through the standard process. The empty seats are first come first served in reality, and booking yourself into something like 43C at the gate is no guarantee that 43G and everything in between will stay open. Walk to the back, see if it's open, if not, you'll always have that barcalounger in 3A or where ever.
2017: CVG | DEN | EWR | FRA | LAX | ORD | SFO | TLV | TXL | VIE

diverdave

Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 pm

PEK777 wrote:

Delta treats Comfort Plus as a separate cabin. Once you are upgraded, you cannot go online and select a regular coach seat. That actually requires a phone agent to undo the upgrade. Sounds like the GA has never had to do that before.

RobertPhoenix

Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm

A long time ago I used to fly from LAX to LHR by TWA. I would always be able to upgrade, but, if there were four empty seats together in the middle of coach that was a much better option. Only once had one my four seats subsequently. I got an almost lie flat bed before any airline offered them.

ryanov

Wed May 17, 2017 2:20 am

I do it regularly when Delta upgrades us to two middle seats in Comfort+ (stupid to have no option to say "unless it separates my party"). Does take a phone call, but a quick one. Why not do it informally? Flight might be full and not everyone would take a middle seat in C+.

aklrno

Wed May 17, 2017 7:29 am

PEK777 wrote:

You hands are way too large for your body proportions? The good stuff is too small?